Grafter

Re: Who said the police arnt acting on Illegal music downloads

Not sure what you mean
God
Grafter

Quote from: James_G
/Friday pedant mode = on
In the majority of cases, the alleged crime is copyright infringement. Sadly the authors of most articles fail to research correctly, and believe that breach of copyright is a criminal act.
It isn't, its a breach of civil law, which means its not illegal at all, rather its unlawful.
/Friday pedant mode = off
IANAL, but thats how a lawyer explained it to me - not that it matters a great deal, but its Friday afternoon, and I was feeling remiss at my lack of pedantry thus far.
That is all.

IANAL Surely that should be banned by the word Censor? Only joking  Cheesy
Not applicable

Quote from: pierre_pierre
erh - where did the term criminal come from - the charge was fraud and people have been charged with copyright infringement.

The article you linked to says that 5 people have been charged with copyright infringement, and then goes on to discuss illegal downloads.
I was merely exploring the notion that if the charge is copyright infringement, then they have been making unlawful downloads, rather than illegal ones.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
Quote from: pierre_pierre
erh - where did the term criminal come from - the charge was fraud and people have been charged with copyright infringement.

Fraud is a criminal offence but we'll need a lawyer to tell us where copyright infringement fits into the equation

The case will be a private prosecution instead of the crown vs downloadman and being a private prosecution mean that you need less evidence  than a case being charged in criminal (crown vs. bank robber). court
The Government want it to be a criminal soon with up to 5 years in prison for copyright cases
Puddy