cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Who's at fault? BT blames Plusnet, Plusnet blames BT...

elementaltm
Rising Star

Who's at fault? BT blames Plusnet, Plusnet blames BT...

A brief background...
Moved out of house A. temporarily for building work, lowered broadband 'your way' to option1.
Moved into house B. requested BT forward all calls from house A. to house B. BT mess this up (in typical fashion) and *cancel the original line at house A. Upon pointing this out to them BT reinstate original line and forward to house B. as requested...
...9 months later move back into house A. expecting ADSL to be operational and ready to go... but NO SYNC! Talk to Plusnet technical support who advise that when BT originally cancelled down the line* the broadband marker was removed from the line! I request the re-connection to be expedited at a cost of £117.00 instead of having to wait the statutory 7-10 days. (a web developer without the web is a non-starter). Obtain sync and working broadband within 48hrs.
I then write a stiff letter to BT requesting reimbursement of expedite fee incurred due to their mistake. Response from BT 'broadband marker' was never removed from the line at house A. and that Plusnet are at fault!
Net result BT will not accept responsibility, blame Plusnet for the error, Plusnet blame BT and I'm £117 out of pocket!!!  Angry
It's BT word against Plusnet and I'm in the middle, where do I go from here?
DM.
KABOOM!
20 REPLIES 20
puddy
Grafter

Re: Who's at fault? BT blames Plusnet, Plusnet blames BT...

if you have already paid the bill its good news
The fact that plusnet and BT are the same company (wait for the message that say I am wrong) i.e plusnet are owned by BT get yourself down to the small claims court fill out the forms (stick to facts)  keep all your letters and bills and add in the the court fees to the total amount you want to claim and sue them. 1 point tell BT you are taking them to court send it recorded and give them 14 days notice before you send the forms back to court
My guess before your court hearing BT will credit the money back to your account if they dont I cannot see them not turning up at the hearing etheir way you will win
Good luck
Michael
James
Grafter

Michael,
You're are wrong.  Just like the other countless times you keep on saying it. We are owned by Retail. Not Openreach.
DM - Were you paying for the connection at house A for the 9 months that you were not there?
puddy
Grafter

come on James you should know better
BT retail BT openreach BT wholesale still says BT and a court of Law will say the same plusnet are owned by the BT group of companies

if it says BT on the tin its still BT no matter which part company plusnet have been placed in
Michael
puddy
Grafter

James
Have a chat with your legal team if you dont believe me

Michael
itsme
Grafter

On normal day to day business PN and BT Retail are completely separate companies.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Well, if PlusNet took your money for Broadband for that time I'd say they need to investigate and get back to you ASAP with a detailed explanation as to why you had to pay BT to reinstate it.
In my book your claim is against PlusNet and they must "do the right thing" ASAP and ensure you are refunded somehow.
itsme
Grafter

This is where I believe the system get messy. I assume that the £117 to reinstate adsl was paid to PN. I also assume that's BT normal policy is not to compensate but to refund. So PN have to ask for the refund to pass on to the OP.
elementaltm
Rising Star

Quote from: Jameseh
Michael,
You're are wrong.  Just like the other countless times you keep on saying it. We are owned by Retail. Not Openreach.
DM - Were you paying for the connection at house A for the 9 months that you were not there?

Hi James, yes essentially I have paid for 9 months of service, which had a router been attached, would never of worked.
I should stress at this point that the reason I opted to continue the broadband service in a house I wasn't living in was to avoid any interruption of service... oh the irony!
DM.
KABOOM!
chillypenguin
Grafter

I am sure that PlusNet will see you right if you have been paying for a service, that they have not been paying the wholesale costs for.
But I would suggest great caution with some of the legal advise given in this thread. One "Owner" may have many companies, if you take action against the wrong company not only will you lose any court fee. If the court believes the action is misdirected or malicious you may also have to pay defence costs.
Chilly
puddy
Grafter

The reason the small claims court was setup was to simplify the court system and keep cost down.  Small claims court do not on most occasions award costs.  You simply win the case or lose it.  I cannot see misdirected or malicious cases coming under the small claim court rules. 
If you are a lawyer you should know better than frighten people in going to the small claim courts

Michael Roberts
cp:blue Please can I remind you not to post full quotes of the preceding post, as per the link:rules. mod:end
James
Grafter

DM,
Mind PMing me the telephone number that the service was cancelled from?
The one I can see on your account was only recently cancelled and I suspect that is the place where you've recently left.
chillypenguin
Grafter

@ puddy
I am not a lawyer, i just have some experience of the small claims court system.
puddy
Grafter

My wife is a lawyer
puddy
Not applicable

Hmmm - perhaps you ought to ask her for some advice then....
Plusnet is a PLC - it just happens that BT Retail own all the shares.
It doesn't mean a jot in terms of who owns who, as BT is NOT a parent company incorporating PN - PN is still a PLC.
I'll for now ignore the misconception about the various different entities such as BT Openreach, BT Wholesale and BT Retail as they aren't even slightly relevant to the pertinant point.