Did you mean: 

White-list and black-list for Postini spam filter

Bookman
Grafter

White-list and black-list for Postini spam filter

In the Postini Anti-Spam Update here:
http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/02/01/postini-the-story-so-far/#how
under the heading "What next?" it says:
"... the ability to white-list and black-list your own email addresses or domains."
Will it not include the ability to white-list and black-list other people's email addresses or domains? Or is this already possible somewhere and I haven't seen it?
29 REPLIES 29
Not applicable

Re: White-list and black-list for Postini spam filter

I suspect it means that *you* will be able to blacklist and whitelist domains and addresses for mail coming to *you*
Rather than the current situation where black and whitelisting has to be done globally, affecting everybody.
One mans spam being anothers ham etc.
Bookman
Grafter

In that case it should say "...your own choice of..." instead of "...your own...". The meaning is quite different!
Not applicable

I agree, assuming of course that I've correctly interpreted the part in question.
ChrisL
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Isn't English wonderful  Grin
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

English? What's that then?? Wink

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Bookman
Grafter

Perhaps it's time I learned Polish - I might be able to resort to the Polish version of the PN site when I don't understand the English one!  Cheesy
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Sooner this comes in the better as far as I'm concerned. We were put onto Postini at the weekend and ever since then I have been retrieving wrongly identified emails from our webmail Spam folders - far more than got wrongly marked with the old system. Have been posting headers on the thread where we're directed to post them but it's time consuming to do so (blanking out any personal ID stuff).
Plusnet user since November 2003
Full Fibre since September 2023
Mac OS14 and Firefox user with latest versions of both
ChrisL
Rising Star

@Mad Moggies
Are you sending false positives as attachments to
notspam@spamtraining.plus.com
  (no need to scramble the headers and the message content can be helpful too)?
Posting on the forum can be useful, too, if the headers suggest a new problem we need to know about.
Bookman
Grafter

I thought we were supposed to go to Webmail and click the SPAM or NOT SPAM buttons to tell Postini when a message is wrongly handled (as suggested in the Spam update article and which is easier as far as the negatives are concerned than sending hundreds of attachments to PN)?
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Quote from: ChrisL
@Mad Moggies
Are you sending false positives as attachments to
notspam@spamtraining.plus.com
  (no need to scramble the headers and the message content can be helpful too)?
Posting on the forum can be useful, too, if the headers suggest a new problem we need to know about.

No, just posting them on the forum as requested.
Can they be forwarded from webmail as attachments with the full headers, preferably as batches? Otherwise it will mean going through all my mail folders to find those I've already posted to the forum, plus some I've deleted off this computer and those from my husband's Mailbox only go to his computer (but I can see them on webmail). I use Mac Mail, so it's easy to forward with full headers but each one will have to go individually. I just tried forwarding to me from Webmail but it doesn't give full headers.
It seems the ones I've posted are different to what's been seen before - some information missing, apparently.
------------------
Aaaargh! Just sent off all those I could find but NOT as attachments (forgot that's what you said). Will that still be OK? Saving them as separate text files to then attach is an absolute pain and I end up with folders' full. Used to do this ages ago for, I think, SpamCop but got fed up with it.
snozboz
Rising Star

As I understand it, we're invited to forward false positives to notspam@spamtraining.plus.com and false negatives to spam@spamtraining.plus.com as attachments.  The "Spam" and "Not Spam" buttons in webmail do this for you (assuming they have been changed from the old despamchecker addresses).  The forum thread is for conversation between users and with PlusNet staff about the weird headers and how they don't always make sense with how the email was treated.
See "Reporting Spam Emails" in the Help pages.
HTH,
Martin
ChrisL
Rising Star

Quote from: Bookman
I thought we were supposed to go to Webmail and click the SPAM or NOT SPAM buttons to tell Postini when a message is wrongly handled

Yes -- that's a shortcut to send them to the spamtraining addresses!  You can send them in batches, too....
(Thanks snozboz - you beat me to it!!)
Mad_Moggies
Rising Star

Quote from: snozboz
As I understand it, we're invited to forward false positives to notspam@spamtraining.plus.com and false negatives to spam@spamtraining.plus.com as attachments.  The "Spam" and "Not Spam" buttons in webmail do this for you (assuming they have been changed from the old despamchecker addresses).  The forum thread is for conversation between users and with PlusNet staff about the weird headers and how they don't always make sense with how the email was treated.
HTH,
Martin

Thanks for that Martin, I didn't realise the buttons had changed where they sent stuff to.
In that case I've been doing the right thing all along. I didn't mention it before because I thought those buttons weren't for Postini but for the older spam detection system but still used them out of habit after going onto Postini last weekend.
Just looked at the sent folders in webmail and see they're going to the new addresses now. Oh well, I didn't waste too much time sending them off manually from my Mail program! Now I won't need to post any more to the forum page either.
Bookman
Grafter

I'm now using the SPAM and NOT SPAM buttons in Webmail but it took me a while to find out this is what I was supposed to do. I read and watched the info and videos on the Spam help page in Help & Support but there was nothing about it there. I finally found it in this Postini update:
http://community.plus.net/blog/2008/02/01/postini-the-story-so-far/#how
Please mention this on the Spam help page in Help & Support and in the Manage My Mail page and add a hyperlink to the update. I wonder how many people fail to realise they need to train the filters?