cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whirring/buzzing noise from Hub One when internet activity occurs over WiFi

gabrielos

Whirring/buzzing noise from Hub One when internet activity occurs over WiFi

Hi, new Plusnet customer here - 

We've been putting up with a hissing/whirring noise coming out of the router for a few weeks up until I've had enough. The noise is driving me insane.

Reading through some of the similar threads on the forum it seems that this is either a fault with the router or that the issue is within acceptable limits. 

I've recorded the noise and uploaded it here: https://soundcloud.com/gabriel-michael-510116670/plusnet-one-hub-hissing-noise

I've followed the instructions from the other threads and disabled the 5Ghz Frequency and on 2.4Ghz the noise is significantly reduced - it's still there but that is "within acceptable limits". However I want to be using 5Ghz - it is 2019 after all not 2005.

What is there left to do to get this sorted?

Thanks 

3 REPLIES 3
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Whirring/buzzing noise from Hub One when internet activity occurs over WiFi

You either live with it or get a different router, PlusNet are not going to modify an old version of the BT Hub 5. The  BT Hub 6 is a lot better and can be used on PlusNet.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Thanks for getting in touch @gabrielos 

I'm sorry to see your router is making noise when the 5GHz frequency is enabled. Unfortunately there isn't much we'd be able to do about this as we've had discussions with the vendor previously and we've been advised the noise is within tolerance and not indicative of a material fault with the router so it shouldn't be affecting the performance.

Do you find it does affect the performance or is the noise just distracting?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

There are zillions of decent home routers on offer.  Have a look on Ebay and see if you can pick up a Zyxel VMG8924-B10A, I got a John Lewis branded but unused one for £30 delivered.  Dual band wireless with AC on 5GHz,  Gigabit Ethernet etc etc.  There are other models in the range differing in wireless and LAN capabilities, but those with the B10A suffix have the best interface for ADSL.   The only bad point is the admin web interface is slow.

It would be a good idea to hang on to your Plusnet router whatever you do, that gives you something you can swap over to if there's a fault and you want to eliminate your equipment.