cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Router Is Better (for problems with my line) ?

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Which Router Is Better (for problems with my line) ?

Just looking for opinion on which of these 3 routers is better at securing a good synch speed and holding onto a connection well without too many drops? Not so fussed about the wireless ability as don't use that much -
BT Homehub 3
Netgear N-150/DGN1000
Plusnet Technicolor 582n
Been quite dissapointed with the Netgear N-150/DGN1000 over the past few days.
18 REPLIES 18
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Which Router Is Better?

Personally I would go for the 582n.
Others may disagree, but what firmware version on the 582n?
Some like the BT HH3 but personally I wouldn't touch any HH with a bargepole, well maybe if I was given one just to experiment - BT back doors and all that. Not always configurable as one would like from what some say..
Some users have been disappointed with recent Netgears, not what they used to be Sad
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Not sure of the Plusnet router's firmware version but assume I could update it if I were to go for that?
May I ask why you prefer the Plusnet router to the HH? Is it for the security reasons that you mentioned or do you feel it is more reliable as far as holding down a good connection goes?
The Netgear has been dropping out maybe 3 times a day. I'm beginning to think I got Netgear wrong. I thought maybe a big brand might be good but now I'm not so sure. Also annoyed with how you can't really get much in the way of stats out of it. Netgear seem to think home users don't need that kind of data. I beg to disagree with them.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

I would go for the HH3 as it has a good wireless coverage and wireless is hast and processes data packets more efficiently
The TG582n is slow and not efficient.  I tried the user interface and it was painfully slow.
I can't comment for Netgear, but I've used WNR2000 and find it outstanding and it's really efficient and superb user interface, I have never had a Netgear with modem inside it - only cable Netgear router
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

The TG582n might have arguable wifi performance in some situations.  However is xDSL performance and stability (especially with the 10.2.2B firmware) is very good.  My current xDSL session has been running for 110 days.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

@woodm
Ah, I was assuming you had one and didn't know which to use and would give you the most reliable connection. The 582n has a broadcom chipset and they have a good reputation. On some exchange equipment you need to make sure it has the latest firmware.
I don't find the 582n slow, it's an absolute pig if you want to change other than basic configuration as you need to use Telnet commands for complex setups.
It really depends on your line and your needs - post your current DSL stats.
I knew someone would post in favour of the HH3.
One definite reservation I would have with any modem/router I would never get one that didn't allow me to Disconnect the PPP Internet session and NOT reconnect until I told it. Some let you do a disconnect and promptly reconnect - not helpful. Some only allow you to only disconnect the ADSL not helpful on longer lines.
Perhaps NE can say if you can drop the PPP on the HH3?
PeeGee
Pro

The best I can say about the DGN1000 is..... it makes a reasonable doorstop Shocked
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
NorthEasterner
Aspiring Pro

You can disconnect the connection manually and then reconnect.
Also another good thing with HH3 is that it has smart wireless which means it will scan other wireless networks and other interference from microwaves, cordless phone etc... and avoid the channels and chooses a channel that is not in use - to give best possible performance.
NE
Ex Plusnet Fibre customer. Sky Ultrafast (G.Fast) Customer using a Sky Hub 4.2. If you wish to say thanks, please click the thumbs up Thumbs_Up
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: Anotherone

I knew someone would post in favour of the HH3.

The HH3 comes in 2 flavours, type A and type B.
The type A is best avoided imo -- the one I tried was very unreliable.
The TG582n is hard to beat for ADSL connection speed and quality on my line but there's no guarantee it will suit every line. The only valid criticism IMO is the poor wifi ( you've already said you're not bothered about that) and the poor user interface -- slow and lacking some features. This is more than made up for by the superb configurability using the telnet interface.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

A new 582n would be shipped with the 10.2.2.B firmware already installed.
The wireless automatic channel selection of the 582n with the 10.2 firmware is supposed to take into consideration various measurements (the number of other networks, how busy each of them are, non-WiFi interference and background noise). Although standard advice offered to anyone having problems with the 582n wireless seems to be to pick a channel manually.
Is a 110 day DSL uptime really needed for anything? Perhaps I'd rather have an extra 5% or 10% of bandwidth even if DSL uptime might only be a couple of days.
From that list I'd choose the 582n.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for the input.
Basically I had 1 of each router sat in front of me with the N-150 having been connected for the past few day (but dropping a few times a day) I'm not 100% sure but I suspect it is this that has raised my downstream Noise Margin and dropped my Synch Speed. If not then maybe there's a problem with my line. My HH3 is a Type A (according to the label on the back of it) btw.
As ADSL connection stability, synch speed and up/downstream speed acheived is most important to me I've decided to give the 582n a go for a week or so and see how that goes. Checking it's ACP I have the latest firmware on it 10.2.2.B and I've got it up and running now.
I'll put my currrent stats here and keep an eye on them.

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:20:55
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,276 / 17,943
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 4.06 / 28.65
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 8.3 / 14.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 8.2 / 9.0
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 496
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
Anotherone
Champion

It looks like you are right, the Target SNRM has gone to 9dB. That will account for the speed being down a bit. If the line is stable, the exchange DLM will move it back to 6dB and if still stable to 3dB, so you'll end up with a speed somewhat over 20Mbps if so.
I'm going to read your previous thread to see what information I can glean from that, and will post again here.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Might I suggest that the perceived merits of these routers are discussed here and the specific issues this user is examining are discussed on the other thread?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Why? it's the OP's own thread, I don't see any point in going back to the other thread now and causing further confusion.
@ woodm,
perhaps if you go back to your first post in this thread and edit it, you can amend the title - perhaps add something like "for problems with my line".
Now, I was doing you a reply much earlier this evening when I lost my connection, so sorry for the delay.
Ok, having read the other thread, if you are still using that 3M extension cable then you will be vulnerable to drops. Because it's not twisted pair cable and it's a standard phone extension cable that has a bell wire that will be connected as well, it will be picking up any interference going. Any electric spikes, any atmospheric MW/AM noise, any noise form the Sky box downstairs etc.
You need to plug the filter directly into the Master socket and use one of these or one of these to connect from the filter direct to the modem/router.
You can use you existing cable for the phone only.
southerner
Aspiring Pro

@ Anotherone - Thanks. Have ordered one of those RJ11 cables off Amazon. When it comes will move filter to master socket and trail the cable from there to my router leaving the telephone extension cable in place just for my phone.