Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wheres my speed gone

mathewlisett
Grafter

Wheres my speed gone

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4429 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6176 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5000 Kbps
i used to get near 1mb/s  on the rare occasions but more often would get 700+kb/s so why over the last month have we only got around 550?
11 REPLIES 11
Apprentice
Grafter

Re: Wheres my speed gone

I think the router will need to sync with the exchange at a higher rate so that the IP profile increases enough to give the throughput speed you had before and that the Plusnet profile matches any increase in the one from BT, as sometimes PN's can lag behind.
I understand that there is a page somewhere in your PN portal that should state what the PN profile currently is.
For my connection I've found it best to re-sync the router between 10.00am and 3.00pm in order to get a higher sync rate (assuming no issues with the line)
PeterLoftus
Pro
Fixes: 5

As apprentice says https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=stable_rate Smiley
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
mathewlisett
Grafter

well ive tried looking at the settings, and can not find anywhere which sets off the router the doing the syncing.
Apprentice
Grafter

What router are you using just now?
Is it wired to the PC or used wirelessly?
mathewlisett
Grafter

thomson (white)
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

mathewlisett
Grafter

ok thanks...but still cant see anything that's clear to show the sync option
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I have just realised - I didn't answer the right question  Embarrassed Embarrassed
Will go away and think - and I can't see a way of doing it from the manual.
So the easy way is to disconnect it from the telephone line and plug it in again
Apprentice
Grafter

@  mathewlisett
Have a read of [color=red]this
, in section 5 it shows/illustrates a broadband connection page and you might be able to disconnect and reconnect (if the router doesn't do that automatically) using a tab button in the DSL Connection section.[/color]
Edit > failing that switch off the power to the router last thing at night, then unplug the PSU and then in the morning connect back up and power up the router.
Before switching off make sure you have a note of any passwords and settings written down just in case you need them, but I think the newer PN Thomson routers connect up automatically.
mathewlisett
Grafter

lol well after doing the disconnect and reconnecting, the speed has dropped even further lol.
what the hell is going on
x47c
Grafter

Well if you are doing the re-sync at the time of your post - it is just about the worst time of day to do it.
Atmospheric noise increases markedly at night time (it to do with how the Heviside layer in the atmosphere rises during the night)
This noise will apear on the phone line
A router previouly in sync 'may' hang on at the increased noise levels or it may re-sync at a lower rate if the noise becomes too great
But when you deliberately ask the router/exchange to do a re-sync in the evening it will look at the noise level on the line and its variability and given that it is connecting at a default or target  noise margin of 6,9,12,15 depending on how the line has been set - the result is pretty well always the same - a reduced sync rate.