Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where is my 16 Meg???

Norbee
Grafter

Where is my 16 Meg???

Hi there,
I have just done a speedtest and I have got an unbeliabavble never seen before slow speed!
Not even a meg  Shocked
Can you please look into the matter and tellme what on earth is going on?
My phone line also as noisy as in a middle of a sand storm...
Have a look for yourselves please.

Hope to hear from you soon!
dick:green Image tags added.
31 REPLIES 31
Norbee
Grafter

Re: Where is my 16 Meg???

Here is an another check after restarting my router

Something is very strange here Cry
dick:green Image tags added.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Quote from: Norbee
My phone line also as noisy as in a middle of a sand storm...

So there's your problem and why your broadband speed has dropped very low.  You need to report this phone fault to whoever provides your telephone service and do that ASAP.  First you might want to verify it is a line fault by unplugging your router and all your telephone except one (preferably leaving behind a corded phone) and check that the line is still noisy.  If you want a number to call rather than listening to the dial tone, dial 17070 then select option 2 for the Quiet Line Test.  
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Norbee,
I can see that your speeds are well below the threshold. The fault ticket that you opened has been closed, as you have done the internal testing, we would need a fault open to pursue this. I have read your concerns regarding the charges, but this is why we advise of all the checks to avoid these and also to help get the fault resolved ASAP.
If you are still experiencing issues then I'd suggest re-raising a fault at http://faults.plus.net
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I presume your suggestion of raising a fault means that the phone is with Plusnet. If it's not raising the fault with you when the problem is with the phone is only going to delay things.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Norbee
Grafter

Quote from: chrispurvey
Hi Norbee,
I can see that your speeds are well below the threshold. The fault ticket that you opened has been closed, as you have done the internal testing, we would need a fault open to pursue this. I have read your concerns regarding the charges, but this is why we advise of all the checks to avoid these and also to help get the fault resolved ASAP.
If you are still experiencing issues then I'd suggest re-raising a fault at http://faults.plus.net

The phoneline quality is still crap broadband speed doesn't merit to be called speed.
Appreciate that you are trying to help but NO BT incompetent rip off liar will enter my flat!
I am NOT paying a penny!!!
In a fair world I should only be paying the monthly charges and if a problem arise all I should do is to report it. Not to be threatened by a charge taking up the equivalent of 6 moths line rental!!!
I am just fed up with bills and bills coming...
I repeat nothing has been modified in my flat all what happened is I have unplugged the cables then few hours later back.
Both sockets in the flat works well.
Many thanks!
aceadam

go into your plusnet account and check your usage see if u have gone over
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

If you are absolutely sure that nothing has changed in your flat then there will be no charge to pay when the BT engineer comes to call.  The best way to make absolutely sure is to locate the Master Socket, unscrew the faceplate, insert a corded phone into the test socket underneath the faceplate then listen to the line.  You could dial 17070 then option 2 for BT's Quiet Line Test.  To be absolutely sure, make sure that removing the faceplate disconnects all other phones in the flat.  The test socket represents the demarcation point between what is your responsibility and what is BT's (or you telephone provider's) responsibility so if the fault is still there when you connect to the test socket you know it is BTs responsibility and they will fix it free of charge. 
Otherwise you will have to put up with terrible noise on the phone line and very slow broadband.
Norbee
Grafter

Cheers Richard,
No master socket in the flat. 2 sockets exist one never used but produce the same results...
Only one phone connected though corded or wired same link:censored quality line.
I live 500 yards from the exchange and BT guys are all around all day fidling with wires look alike a fisherman in trouble...
Any time they come someone in the neighbourhood goes nuts! Either they fully disconnect someone by mistake or change connection settings  Cry
When is the hunting season starts here in the UK please? beautiful male species could be shot at close range  Crazy
Adie:red avoidance of swear filter removed
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

No master socket in the flat. 2 sockets exist one never used but produce the same results...

If both sockets have a BT logo of some description that probably means that BT installed them and that probably means that BT are still responsible for them..  Which is good from your point of view, in that BT cannot charge to fix a fault on the wiring that they themselves are responsible for.
Norbee
Grafter

Thanks for the update but I guess I am out of luck.
No BT sign on any of the boxes. Insead it looks like a capital T if that means anything to you?
Like an L upside down than the other bit two oo. If you feel what I mean  Smiley
Might be a telecom company before 1st world war???
Thanks anyway!
They have raised a case again to investigate but I will not pay a penny simple as that!
No BT man comes through my door.
I have had it once payed for nothing...and cream de la gateau the fault was elsewhere but never refunded my money!
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

No BT man comes through my door.

Then you'll just have to live with the problems!
Or cancel the SDSL and telephone and move to a supplier not dependant upon OpenReach in any way such as Virgin cable.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

No BT sign on any of the boxes. Insead it looks like a capital T if that means anything to you?

One of these perhaps...
http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/line_jacks.htm BT NTE5 Socket with blank detachable front
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

According to Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BT_Group the T symbol was the BT logo between 1980 & 1991.  I cannot vouch for the accuracy of the dates but a capital T (with dots on the RHS of the top bar) is definitely an old BT logo.
Norbee
Grafter

TELEX  LJU2/8A IDC
http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/small/LJU2_8A_front.jpg
http://www.telephonesuk.co.uk/images/small/LJU2_8A_rear.jpg
Both in my flat is this type.Without the TELEX sign.
I have opened the socket cleaned cut off approx 5cm from the wires placed them back and voila the line is crystal clear.
broadband speed is still [ censored ] quality  Undecided