cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I go from here?

exporters
Grafter

Re: Where do I go from here?

Again Spraxyt, thank you for replying.  Reassuring comments - SNR is holding to 14 during the day & dropping to 11 @ night. 
I'm away from home for about ten days next week & not using B'band.  Would this be a good time to request the training period be set?  Router etc left powered up 24 hrs etc.
Does one usually experience a fall back from the +ve figs I seem to be getting at present or will it start @ say 3.5megs d'load or show a gradual rise on this over the training period. Elementary Q I'm sure for some!
Many thanks,  Ian
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The 3dB evening reduction in noise margin was what prompted me to mention the DLM might increase target noise margin to 9dB to keep the 24-hour minimum around 6dB. The Thomson might lose sync at night if 6dB day value drops to 3dB at night, or error rates might make using the connection unpleasant. However I suspect assuming equivalent variation in noise margin from a different base level is mathematically invalid. I haven't bothered to work the sums out since the hardware will please itself, no matter what the maths says.
With being away should you ask for a training reset? My suggestion is not to, just feel being around to keep track of what is going on is best. There might be a time when restarting the router could be helpful, and you can't do that if you aren't there. What I suggest is to leave the router on (PC can be off) to run up around 14 days (hopefully) with a nice stable connection. The DLM might react to that by reducing the target noise margin itself (which will cause a re-sync). 14 days has been known to be a DLM threshold period, though it can be twice that (or more, or never).
If the target noise margin is reduced (by the DLM or by initiating training) the IP profile won't change from its present value at first (which means a speedtest done instantly gives unchanged results and users start typing their complaint on the forums). Hopefully over the training period it would settle at a higher value, giving the appearance that speeds creep up.
David
David
exporters
Grafter

Your caution Spraxyt was wise.
CSC reckoned yesterday ALL was resolved.  Shots below show SNR back up, line dropping & d/load speeds conversely down.  At time writing 3.7 yeterday, now 2.7mbps.
Hopefully someone from PN will read this, please.
exporters
Grafter

I see one of the PN Gateways was down @ 5.30am;  knowing my fortunes must have been mine? 
I've powered down router/waited and on again.  SNR dropped back from 22>15, fine but @ exchange end it seems to have stuffed the BT IP profile as well as download speeds. [below]
Will everything recover & how long, please.
exporters
Grafter

Hey PlusNet, what is going on? 
Latest, SNR risne to 33 & d'loads 0.7 and falling.
Is it just a v. bad day?  Systems, events beyond our control?  BTw letting everyone down?
Or my line that has been singled out?
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Must be your line...!  I have been on a steady 5.2 to 4.8 db all morning so far.... (since 8am) on the end of a 63db attenuation line....  (synch speed 1984kbps)  Wink
exporters
Grafter

Thank you - better get back on to my ticket & CSC. 
Will wait to see if PN pick up later in the morning, my earlier forum posts.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

The gateway problem (if it did affect you) should not have caused your router to re-sync, just a temporary disconnection from Plusnet like clicking the 'disconnect' button on your router.
It looks to me like one of the large bursts of noise you experienced previously has returned and screwed up your connection again. I think the sync speed changes (with associated fall in IP Profile and speed-test results) are consistent with this behaviour, and the 'cure' is for Plusnet and BT to identify the source of the noise and eliminate it.
You current sync speed is back to the pre-noise value, but it will take 3 days for the resulting increase in IP Profile and speeds to show. Unfortunately on past history the noise might reappear in the meantime and continue to screw up your connection.
Not good news. Cry
David
David
exporters
Grafter

David, as always much better to get cards on the table & I appreciate your forthright assessment; also advice.
I have entered a recent blunt [still polite] message on my ticket. 
Unless PN can kick BTw [if that is where the problem lies?] into respong in a more professional approach to customer's woes, then we are all in for a bleak future.  Do they lack the technical skills, I don't know but if the PN staff are the jam in the middle, then it is pretty demotivating stuff.
Ian
exporters
Grafter

Thought I would take a look @ speeds after a disastrous day with SNR going like a yo-yo up to 38 & dropping completely - low and behold, they've shot back up [below] to 3.7Mb downloads.  But for how long, agh. 
Never knew it could change as dramatically as this but in the right direction.  Will see what the 'morrow brings forth.
spraxyt
Resting Legend

This thread is unfortunately heading towards giving War And Peace a run for its money. Is your ticket number still 31200200?
David
David
exporters
Grafter

I DO hope David, this thread is now on it's last legs; that PN/BTw have achieved consistency of service, with dropping line a thing of the past. 
Yesterday, Thursday [total collapse/disaster day] when I thought everything was lost & the only honourable thing to do was admit defeat/throw in the towel; sunshine came near to midnight.  Such a sudden upturn, caught me off guard to be honest.
The speeds are now back, BT speedtester 3.4/3.7Mbps, SNR back to 15, straight, steady line. Sounds like bragging but not meant to be; when I read the Forum & SHUTTER's + others situations, I'm grateful.
Added to that, this forum is an important reason in my view to hold in with PN.  Excellent resource; comments, advice, encouragement etc.  Indeed, you have been one of the stars.  So, I would hope to close the ticket, ongoing since December. Hopefully now with a tick in the box, 'sorted'.