Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where do I go from here?

AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Where do I go from here?

Been having some plastering work done in my house and the plasterer took the nte5 box off the skirting board albeit still connected to the wires. Found I had no adsl so I looked in the back of the box and saw the Orange wire had came off. Only other thing that was untoward was the Orange wire was very brittle and there was some blue fluffing on the connector. Being by the front door I would say it experiences a bit of damp!
Anyway, being naughty I cleaned up the contact with a bit of sand paper, bared a bit of orange wire and connected it back up. ADSL back on. I'm currently syncing at 5700mbps but my download speeds are 250mbps! When I carry out speed tests I seem to get a surge and then everything drops down speedwise.
Another worry, the orange cable is very, very brittle and in fact the copper core is black and if that wasn't worry enough I've snapped it that many times trying to bare wire I'm running out of it fast. I'm not even sure when the skirting board goes back on that there will be enough slack on it.
So what should I do now? I have an adsl filtered faceplate directly into the nte5 and the slow speeds have been like this for 6 days. If my ip profile is 5700 will my speed build back up again.
In a bit of a pickle at the minute because my BB is obviously with PN, the Phone line my missus pays for is with post office and if I snap anymore of this orange wire off I'm going to have to get a new line in the house.
Don't really know what to do at the minute or if I should be phoning anyone.
4 REPLIES 4
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Where do I go from here?

Hi AverageWhiteBloke,
In a bit of a pickle at the minute because my BB is obviously with PN, the Phone line my missus pays for is with post office and if I snap anymore of this orange wire off I'm going to have to get a new line in the house.

Don't panic! Smiley
I can tell from the results of a diagnostic test that speeds have improved since you re-terminated the connections in the socket, we just needed to update your speed profile. I've just done that now so you'll just need to <a href="http://www.plus.net/reboot">reboot</a> your router.
If you have any more problems with the actual wiring I'd just report a line fault with the Post Office, if the wiring then needs to be repaired they should deal with that by arranging an engineer visit.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Cool Nice one, you have saved me one hell of a headache. When/if I have to take it to bits when I put my skirting board back on will I need to ask if you would reset the line again? Regarding the brittle orange wire, this is going to be a brown trouser moment when I put the new skirting board on. I know you can't speak on individual cases and their merits but, is moving my BT box to a different location based on damp getting in there a chargeable offence in BT's eyes? If I was to move it to a better location further from the door then I would have metres of slack and it would probably stop the contacts fuzzing up. I am aware, that I shouldn't be touching anything further up from the box or I would just do it myself.
Probably time I changed my phoneline over to PN anyway tbh. Would I get referral money on my pn business account if I did out of curiosity? My missus took the phoneline with PO many, many moons ago and it just never went up that's why we keep it but in instance like now it puts us on shaky ground if we have problems with the line in a bit of a ménage à trois with PN, PO BT or could I get referral to my personal BB account even if it same address. 
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Adam, this has been resolved. On a side note, if I were to bite the bullet and ask BT to move my line, does anyone know if I get the choice of where to put it and would entering my house via the fuse cupboard be asking for trouble with noise on the line?
plusnettony
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 18

You shouldn’t really see any changes, however in the unlikely event that you do, let us know and we will see if the line needs resetting.
I’m afraid that moving the master socket is something that is chargeable.
It’s often best to have everything in one place, and so I’d recommend bringing over the phoneline. It all depends how the account was set up initially with regards to the referrals. I don’t see an issue if the referral flag is already there.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Tony T
 Plusnet Help Team