Santiago
Grafter

Re: Where did my speed go?

Thanks Pierre That is very useful
James
Grafter

@ msssltd
I'm sorry to hear that you've been having quite so much bother!
As Barry has suggested, I would certainly have a look at tweaking your MTU & rWIN settings as the BT Speedtester giving you considerably higher results than you see on other speed testers is often symptomatic of mosconfigured settings.
So I'd give that a go and see if you notice any improvements.
deekay
Grafter

My speeds too are very erratic. For example, where I used to get 850KB/s download speed in a morning from various sites, I now rarely reach 600KB/s from the same sites. Afternoons and evenings are usually between 30 and 200, constantly varying.
However, this posting is not about my speeds.
I'm probably wrong, but could it be that all this stuff the BBC are pouring onto the network for us to download, view on-line, or listen to, is throttling the internet in this country? If so, BT increasing the local end speeds (as I understand they are hoping to) is not going to have any effect.
I'd be interested to know if I am right or wrong.
Keith
zubel
Community Veteran

deekay,
Dave Tomlinson wrote an excellent couple of blogs on the subject, part 1 and part 2
They outline exactly what increase in traffic Plusnet has seen.  Although they are a little in-depth, they do make very good reading and summarises the points quite nicely.
B.
deekay
Grafter

Hello Barry.
Thanks for the links to the two blogs.
I'll have a good read of them in the next couple of days and find out if the BBC is, indeed, throttling the internet.
Keith
Santiago
Grafter

Also my sync speed has now dropped from 3000 to 2500. As advised earlier I have now raised a ticket.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

The drop in sync speed is indicative of problems with your phone line or internal wiring/components, but I'm sure the PlusNet staff will advise and investigate.
James
Grafter

The line test indicates: Suspect faulty line (possible noise / split pair / faulty EU wiring / poor EU modem.)
I'd give the test socket a shot and try using a different microfilter to see if you notice any improvement in the sync speed.
Santiago
Grafter

Ok Thanks to you both. I will investigate further. I think the time has come to sort this wiring out properly!