cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where did my speed go?

Santiago
Grafter

Where did my speed go?

I have become used to speed going up and down I also accept the vagaries of broadband through the phone line  but this is ridiculous....  Angry
On a good day

This morning

38 REPLIES 38
James
Grafter

Re: Where did my speed go?

Hi Santiago,
I've run some checks at this end and nothing appears to be untoward.
Were you able to run any BT Speedtests at the same time that your connection was slow?
Santiago
Grafter

Hi James
No I didn't run a BT speed test at the time. I realise I should have and will next time the speed drops.
James
Grafter

Thanks Smiley
Santiago
Grafter

My speed is low again, is it a weekend thing or what? This is really bugging me now

Jameseh suggested I run this.....
BT Speedtest
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 3000 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  3424 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 867 kbps
My speed varies from my "maximum" 3mg dow to almost dial up speeds.
EDIT
See what I mean...

Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Judging by the fact that your speeds tend to be slower at weekends this would point to contention at the exchange, what does this page say for your area?
To confirm whether this is the problem you can check which gateway you are on here. If switching to a different gateway improves things it may be a sign of imbalance on our network.
Santiago
Grafter

Hi Mand
VP capacity at this exchange is currently showing as Green.
thn-ag3

Mand
Grafter

Have you tried switching gateways and running another speedtest?
Santiago
Grafter

Changed to pte-ag1, ran a test and got about the same as the last test.

I will change gateway at the next drop and see what happens. Thanks for your suggestions Mand
msssltd
Grafter

I have exactly the same symptoms.  My connection has been reliably providing 4Mbps since June last year.  Thursday morning (might have been Friday) it slowed down to about 512Kbps.  It has been falling steadily throughout today and now the upload speed (222Kbps) is higher than the download speed (132Kbps).
I raised a broad band speed problem ticket and that reports the fault checker is down.
I tried the BT speed checker and that reports it is busy.
Currently on pte-ag1 and going to see if I can get a different gateway.
Bloody annoying as I am supposed to be working today, not fiddling with adsl connections.  Cry

msssltd
Grafter

Gateway is now ptn-ag2 and the connection is no better.
Angry
Santiago
Grafter

Oh well, at least were are not alone.
I share your frustration. I turn the machine on and set out to get stuff done and the connection is unuseable (is that a word?)
I am not optimistic that anything can be done to improve these random speed drops
hazelkitten

Same here at the weekends - slow as anything.  I'm trying to download at the mo and usually I'm hitting 4-5Mbps but no where near today - it's like downloading on dial-up!  Crazy
msssltd
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
Oh well, at least were are not alone.
I share your frustration. I turn the machine on and set out to get stuff done and the connection is unuseable (is that a word?)
Try unusable Smiley 
It's been a little better today with performance on a par with a 512Kbps connection - could it get any worse than yesterdays dial up speeds?  It still means I have not finished the work my customer scheduled for this weekend.  I am really looking forward to explaining that to him tomorrow, and giving up next weekend to complete, NOT.  I am self employed so I will not be paid any more for the extra weekend, if I don't lose the customer first  Cry 
Networks are supposed to be my business and this makes me look incompetent.
I am not optimistic that anything can be done to improve these random speed drops
Can be done or will be done?  The bt speedtester has been giving a consistent 3.7Mbps/448Kbps result when I try it.  The symptoms point to a problem in PNs intra-network.
Sadly I am starting to notice the impact that PNs fiddling with their network and traffic management is having on my business.  I am not saying such IS the case now, but every call I have made to them in the last couple years has been related to basic connectivity services.  I have been with plus for just about 5 years and the number of fault reports I am making appears to be rising sharply.  I have just noticed a £9 per month Enhanced Support option has been added to my control panel.  What the heck is that all about?  Do PN intend me to pay extra for the problems they are causing to be resolved in a timely manner?  Good work if you can get it I guess  Roll_eyes
In my boredom waiting for uploads and downloads to complete I spotted that another providers Small Business unlimited (fair usage) account is remarkably similar to PNs and now £10 cheaper than the £30 a month I am paying.  My colleagues that are using that provider just are not having the connectivity issue I have experienced recently. 
I don't want refund gestures, kind explanations and good intentions.  I need reliability.  So plus  can do something about it or I will be forced to.  I simply can not afford these interruptions to my business.  I suspect it is only a matter of time before PN convince me to place my business elsewhere  Undecided

zubel
Community Veteran

I find it interesting that the BT speedtester is giving consistent results, whereas other speedtesters are giving much slower results.
This actually points to an MTU/RWIN problem more than a network performance issue.
Have you tried tweaking your MTU/RWIN
I was having similar, in that my 8128k sync line was only giving around 3000k download.  Once I tweaked the MTU and RWIN up, I consistently get 6500k+ downloads at any time of the day.
B.