cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where can I get a replacement antenna for my DG834G?

giraffeandtiger
Grafter

Where can I get a replacement antenna for my DG834G?

Hi,
When I joined Plusnet they sent me a Netgear DG834G router.  It's been fine - unfortunately a wire has now come loose inside the bendy bit of the antenna and I need to find a replacement antenna for it.
I've been doing a bit of googling and haven't been able to come up with much - can someone point me towards an antenna that I can order to replace it?  Preferably the same part if possible.
Thanks,
Alan
16 REPLIES 16
scootie
Grafter

Re: Where can I get a replacement antenna for my DG834G?

Any as long as it has a RP SMA connecter.
had a look for offical netgear replacment part but could not find one.
As for which gain would suit you i dont know and will leave that to some one else with more exprince of wi fi antenna's to surrgest to you.
chillypenguin
Grafter

0dB to 3 dB will be fine for general use.
giraffeandtiger
Grafter

thanks for that  Smiley
so what gain did the old antenna have?
any recommendations for reliable companies to buy one from? ... netgear?
AndyBa
Grafter

Hopefully this does not break any forum rules, but look at Ebay item 140295107633. There are many more, on Ebay
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

That looks to be for a network card not a router
AndyBa
Grafter

RP-SMA is the same on cards and Routers.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Thanks - I was interested because I would like to put a high gain aerial on mine but further checking turns up the rotten fact that it isn't replaceable on the DG834 v4  Angry
AndyBa
Grafter

I’d take the high gain offerings with a pinch of salt. I’ve used 5db, 7db, and 9db both in RP-SMA, and RP-TNC (Linksys).
They may well give a higher gain, but the beam width is narrowed. It’s a bit like changing the beam on a torch from spot to flood.
The std 2db is a flood, ie a dimmer light over a greater area (beam width) whereas the 7db and 9db are more like a spot.
So the latter, if aligned vertically will not give as good a coverage “upstairs” as the lesser 2db.
You might also need to access the antenna priority control within the device (not available on all) to turn off diversity, and use only the external aerial.
The “supplied” 2db offering is designed to complement the internal “bit of wire”, and ERP legislation.
The other issue is that on some of the larger ones, the RP–SMA connecter gets more substantial, and cannot be accommodated by the router casing.
They are however cheap enough to have a play with, and see what results transpire.
mal0z
Grafter

There are many companies that do antenna's but I've always found Panorama very good. ( No working or financial interest.
http://www.panorama-antennas.com/shop/wlan/access_point/index.html
chillypenguin
Grafter

Quote from: AndyBa
They may well give a higher gain, but the beam width is narrowed. It’s a bit like changing the beam on a torch from spot to flood.

That is exactly how higher gain antenna work, they don't increase the signal, just focus it better. Which in domestic situations means that through floor coverage can suffer. In enterprise situations Access Points are general fitted on every floor. And why the highest gains are from directional antenna.
mal0z
Grafter

Found another interesting site.
This company is new to me - but it looks good.
http://www.wifi-antennas.co.uk/index.php?target=categories&category_id=212
and this data sheet shows the radiation pattern - the left hand one ( E plane ) shows how power is concentrated in the horizontal plane.
http://www.allendale-stores.co.uk/wifi/datasheets/9dbi_omni_datasheet.pdf
scootie
Grafter

Quote from: Oldjim
Thanks - I was interested because I would like to put a high gain aerial on mine but further checking turns up the rotten fact that it isn't replaceable on the DG834 v4  Angry

oldjim i all so found this out not long after reading the op's post.
Is it defo non removable as i didnt really give it a gd pull?.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

That was what a Google search threw up.
Apparently you may be able to get it off but it is permanently fixed to some wires inside the box http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/891708.html
Alternatively - you can't
scootie
Grafter

o well. from the sounds of the high gain antenna's being rubish for upstaris coverage sounds like a cheap dg834g v4 of ebay and used as a bridge would be better at boosting signal upstaris.
which dg834g version have you got giraffeandtiger ?