cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When should I turn Interleaving off?

shadowff6
Grafter

As the post title says really. I've had my connection activated today (a few days early, ty plus.net  Wink ) and I'm wondering when is the best time to ask for Interleaving to be turned off? I'm not sure if I should at least wait for the 10 day period of ups and downs to end before I go ahead with it.
On a slightly unrelated note, how many times do I want to be powering off my router during the 10 day start period for the connection?
Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
shadowff6
Grafter

Re: When should I turn Interleaving off?

Just realised I have another quick query. Is it possible for me to get my upload speed uncapped (my exchange is 21CN WBC enabled) and how long is it likely for this to take? Again, do I want to be doing this whilst my connections 10 day training period  has only just started? Unsure if there will be any negative effects.
Thanks.
shadowff6
Grafter

First of all, sorry I've posted this again. I posted it in the Gaming section of the forums which I've realised probably wasn't correct. However, as the post title says really. I've had my connection activated today (a few days early, ty plus.net  Wink ) and I'm wondering when is the best time to ask for Interleaving to be turned off? I'm not sure if I should at least wait for the 10 day period of ups and downs to end before I go ahead with it.
Also is it possible for me to get my upload speed uncapped (my exchange is 21CN WBC enabled) and how long is it likely for this to take? Again, do I want to be doing this whilst my connections 10 day training period  has only just started? Unsure if there will be any negative effects.
On a slightly unrelated note, how many times do I want to be powering off my router during the 10 day training period for the connection?
Thanks.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Questions answered in turn...
Allow at least seven days before you request interleaving to be turned off, as the line needs to figure out what the optimal SNR margin (amongst other things) should be. We don't want to over-complicate matters by turning interleaving off before we've figured out how your line performs.
Power your router off as little as possible. The only time I would ever recommend to power it off is if it has connected a a significantly lower speed than your line estimate. You can find your synchronisation speed from your router stats.
With regards to uncapping your upload, I'd again recommend to wait at least seven days to allow the downstream to train in. If you experience disconnections, we won't know whether it's your upstream or downstream that's causing the problem if we allow everything to train in at once.
In short, raise a ticket after seven days and we'll sort it for you.
Danplusnet
Grafter

Hi shadowff6
I have recently gone through all of this. You can turn interleaving off straight away ( takes 24hours to apply I think) and you can uncap your upstream on which I think took 48 hours this may depend on what package you have as I am on Pro . On adsl1 I think you have to have the extra package and it costs you more to uncap.
I had read that if you should re-sync router in the training period but doing this caused me trouble and I was then told to leave it alone. If you have a good sync then leave it alone and maybe sync again at the end of the period. I tend to sync around 6am when i get up as it always gives me a better result.
shadowff6
Grafter

Cheers Ben, answers everything. Little bit concerned as I've been powering my router off a fair bit though. I'm sure I read somewhere when signging up that it would help for me to do this...oh well. Sync speeds seem to have gone down from about 4.8mb to 4mb after a few router resets, I guess this is because it thinks I'm disconnecting when actually I've been switching it off myself.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
Duplicate threads merged.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine