cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When can we expect answers to Questions solicited by Peter Jackson?

Wheel_nut
Grafter

Re: When can we expect answers to Questions solicited by Peter Jackson?

James, Has Peter Jackson left PlusNet? Am I mistaken in believing that Peter was tasked by "The Boss" to solicit these questions with the implied commitment to provide answers.
It is important for us to know if there has been an intellectual coup at PlusNet. The current products have completely reversed the Policy Precepts that had evolved over the years (with the exception of the run up to the sale to BT when Lee and his cronies bled the company to near death).
If Anthony's mandate is to impose BT's (unsuccessful) businiss ethic, processes and products on us then we the customers would be foolish to sign up to any contract of duration longer than 30 days. If Anthony has a strategy for PlusNet that he can share with us then let him come out and do that. If (as I believe). he has no independent strategy and is simply fending off the spears and arrows being shot at his back then close this dialogue now.
As I have said before, Anthony didn't have to give us answers. But that was before he tasked Peter Jackson with soliciting these questions. Now, he does owe us answers and within a reasonable timeframe which has now been well exceeded.
Angry

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Summary - Peter Jackson
Name: Peter Jackson
Position: Plusnet Staff
Date Registered: 12/04/2007, 11:48
Last Active: 23/03/2009, 14:39
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Quote from: SGTE
So, let's not take on board the majority of PUG concerns, just roll out the contracts and take the flak = a witless business management. With such educated, and vocal too, commentary within these fora - surely - it is wise to float the ideas out to THEM FIRST? Does it need costly market research? The best, and most cost effective, market research is within a customer base.

At the time of writing we have 10438 forum users, many of which won't be regular forum goers. Us forum dwellers are typically more IT orientated than the average user. Similar could be said for the Usergroup whom I'm sure wouldn't mind me saying are more IT literate than most. Take up of the new products has been good, perhaps moreso with new customers than existing ones, but this is a 'switchers' market after all and we don't want our customer base to remain static. Having said that though a lot of existing customers have also embraced the new products.
Please don't get me wrong, we care massively for our existing customers. Without you guys, and without the Community you're all part of we wouldn't be the Plusnet we are. Let's not forget though that those posting on our forums only make up a fraction of our customer demographic. It would have been nice to have shared our intentions publicly before the product launch but we wanted to make a bit of a splash and there are often commercial and marketing reasons why we wouldn't want to 'let the cat out of the bag' to early so to speak.
A lot of time and effort went onto the product refresh. It was never going to satisfy everybody but we certainly didn't set out to disregard and alienate our loyal customers.
Quote from: Wheel_nut
James, Has Peter Jackson left PlusNet? Am I mistaken in believing that Peter was tasked by "The Boss" to solicit these questions with the implied commitment to provide answers.

No, but he is on leave this week. AFAIK he's technically on leave next week too although he did mention to me that he'd be working half days (that's dedication!)
As I have said before, Anthony didn't have to give us answers. But that was before he tasked Peter Jackson with soliciting these questions. Now, he does owe us answers and within a reasonable timeframe which has now been well exceeded.

The time frame hasn't been great admittedly, but the answers *will* be forthcoming. As James has already inferred, we're all really busy at the moment so all we can ask for is your patience. I'm sure Anthony wants to make sure the answers to your questions are as concise as possible with as little margin for misinterpretation as possible. After all, you guys can be a scary bunch at times Wink
If I'm completely honest, I'm not as confident as James that all the answers will be forthcoming by close of play tomorrow but we'll certainly try.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

pd
Grafter

Quote from: Bob

.......... Having said that though a lot of existing customers have also embraced the new products.

I'd hazard a guess and say they are all on Market 3 exchanges!  Wink
Spider
Grafter

...Take up of the new products has been good, perhaps moreso with new customers than existing ones, but this is a 'switchers' market after all and we don't want our customer base to remain static. ....

Interesting concept not wanting your customer base to remain static then tying new customers in to an 18 month contract. I think a more accurate statement would be 'new customer base that guarantees 18 months worth of income'.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

......Take up of the new products has been good, perhaps moreso with new customers than existing ones, but this is a 'switchers' market after all and we don't want our customer base to remain static.....

I could understand if PN wants to increase it's customer base - but "not static" carries the implication that you have customers who you would like to lose!
I'm sure Anthony wants to make sure the answers to your questions are as concise as possible with as little margin for misinterpretation as possible. After all, you guys can be a scary bunch at times Wink

Can we have accurate and complete answers please - conciseness is not a major requirement.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Be3G
Grafter

Indeed, if anything, I think concise answers are best avoided (unless there's clearly no extra detail that could be gone in to with a longer answer).
Spider
Grafter

Please don't get me wrong, we care massively for our existing customers. Without you guys, and without the Community you're all part of we wouldn't be the Plusnet we are. Let's not forget though that those posting on our forums only make up a fraction of our customer demographic.

I think really says it all. We are a vocal minority and as such not very high on the priority list, especially those of us who are on a monthly contract so don't have that financial tie in the Plusnet would like us to have. As it is now Friday at least Plusnet have the opportunity to prove me wrong today!  Wink
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

We might be a vocal minority, but on many many occassions we have reflected the views of the majority. There is still a large portion of the existing customer base that is not aware of the product changes. Upto that point I could think of a few people that might have been persuaded that a PN package would suit them, now I can think of none. They have better choices elsewhere.
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Where do Plusnet get a good proportion of their customers from?  That would be us refering them.
Where do most of these refered  customers go to for support?  That would be us again.
Who's reportedly already got a very bad response time on the phones?  That would be Plusnet
Plusnet have run a lot of praise and awards in the recent past, mainly for all the bits that have been removed/lost in the recent past.  Great UK only support, 1 month contracts, Geographical phone number (I know it's still available, but it's no where near as easy to find), and there are a good few more I could mension if my coffee cup wasn't needing refilling!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

A lot of time and effort went onto the product refresh. It was never going to satisfy everybody but we certainly didn't set out to disregard and alienate our loyal customers.

I've highlighted what I think is the key issue here. Plusnet has enjoyed a long and steady growth with a loyal set of users (apart from the disastrous period when the company was being milked prior to the sale to BT). Growth was largely generated by referrals.
Will the users the the new products attract be as loyal, or would they be off again when another company starts promoting cheaper deals? Plusnet obviously don't think the new users will be loyal and that's why they are locking them in to 18 month contracts. In two years time this company could be in big trouble!
I'm waiting to see how many complaints arise from new users who didn't realise they had signed up to an 18 month contract.
Will the new users generate as many referrals? That we will have to see, but we've seen plenty of evidence that existing users are referring less because of the contract lengths.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
James
Grafter

I think it's pretty fair to say that since the majority of you guys signed up to broadband, things have changed quite a bit with regards to market awareness and the like.  There's certainly a very large element of "deal seeking" in today's market, with the likes of Compare the Meerkats, MoneySupermarket and so on.  A large number of people are more than happy to accept that in order to get the cheaper prices around, they need to commit to a fixed term contract.
Regarding the number of referrals, I'd expect these to be on the up too.  Remember, there's really two main types of referrer.  There's you guys, the type of people that might recommend an ISP in the pub or in a chat with a friend and then there's the likes of IT Resellers who will always recommend a set ISP to their customers or those who have our banners on a website with a large visitor base and realistically, with an entry price of £5.99 the latter will generate more referrals.  Of course with our referrers in here, it's more about whether you feel you would be recommending sensibly and making sure that your friend or colleague wasn't going to commit to something they wouldn't be comfortable with.
Personally, I've got no issues with a 12 or 18 month contract.  My mobile is on 18 months and my broadband is on 12 (as is my Sky contract).  I accept that to get things I want, such as cheaper prices and free installation, I need to commit to a fixed term, which is what I've done.  Now realistically, my broadband connection isn't as good as it was when I was with Plusnet - it drops an awful lot more, thanks to the lack of the BT DLM (did I just say that?!), but it is quicker, because Sheffield at the time was about a year from being ADSL2+ enabled.
Anyway, I'm waffling. I'll stop now.
Long and short is that Anthony (Vollmer btw!) is hoping to spend some time answering the questions today.  It's likely that he won't get finished, but he's hoping to make a good start.
Lurker
Grafter

Will you be able to share the answers that he does get time to make today J?
James
Grafter

'Fraid not.
They'll all come out to you in one go.  There's 42 questions - It's not going to be a quick job.
waldron
Grafter

So it looks like the promise of Friday (ie. today) was just a pacifier, and not an intention to share the answers with us.
It's not been forgotten and I spoke to Anthony personally.
He hopes to be able to set aside some time on Friday to cover all of your questions.