Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whats Happened now

AndyT
Grafter

Re: Whats Happened now

Hi robert1935,
I'm pleased to hear there has been an improvement to your connection speeds since Chris took a look at your line.
Dan still has his fault ticket open on your account and will be monitoring your connection to ensure all is resolved.  He'll be back in touch within the next couple of days, but please feel free to let us know if there are any further problems in the meantime.
Thanks
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

@robert1935 -for future use its worth finding the physical cabinet that your line is attached to, using https://www.btwholesale.com/includes/adsl/main.html , to find the cab number and locating it by a walk around.
Twice in the past 24 months I've suffered from a crash in the synch speed and a corresponding rise in the SNRM -Both times BT were working on the cabinet ! So a quick walk if you suffer this again MAY give you a steer to what's gone wrong! Wink
robert1935
Grafter

Thanks David, last time the engineer visited he changed something in the green box and it made a big difference but it only lasted a couple of months, but now I am back to 3mb+ just lets see for how long.
I am lucky I can see the green box from my bedroom window, and its funny but I have just remembered that he said that there was quite a considerable amount of damp in there ????
Regards Bob
robert1935
Grafter

Hi to the plusNet team,
The Open Reach engineer has just left, he fitted a new junction box, tested the line and it tested out at 4.363kbps and SNR 3.4.
The speeds have dropped down to below 3kbps, he said that it could be the router is  faulty, or PN is capping the speeds ?
But with that line speed I should be getting a speed of at the very least 3.5kbps ?
Regards Bob
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

I don't think it's likely that your 582n is faulty. A different model of modem/router might achieve a slightly higher (or lower) speed on your line, but nobody can guarantee a particular modem/router will get you an extra 0.5Mb of speed.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Without objective data (e.g. Modem stats as per the speed issues thread) it would not be wise to speculate on what might or might not be possible.
There is no mention herein of if the modem is plugged into the master socket or an extension.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero

There have been several threads by robert1935 trying to get speeds of 3Mb+, the first was this one, half of the problem is that robert1935 was left with the impression that they were promised that particular speed, although Plusnet are in no position to guarantee or promise any particular speed.
The first thing Plusnet seem to do these days is reset the line whenever someone's speed goes down, which might get the speed back up for a couple of days or weeks, but it will then very likely drop down again, since resetting the line isn't going to solve a lot of actual problems.
Edit: fix spelling
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

ejs, I'd noticed that, and as I commented on another thread if that also resets the MSR/FTR and the line does have some sort of fault not obviously showing itself, you can end with with a lower FTR and little chance of convincing BTw to accept a fault.
@Robert, I recall last year when we never really got to the bottom of was was causing you connection to drop and end up with the resultant slower speeds. Until we discover that, the problem will likely go on. As has already been pointed out to you as the issue is either on your line (or perhaps something very local to you) changing provider will make no difference whatsoever, you don't magically get some new line with a new house and the exchange on your doorstep. What makes life difficult is that yours is a long line.
I will review all your posts and what's been said and what's happened and post back.
In the meantime could you please post the current TG582n Full DSL stats
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Ejs,
Thanks for the link back to a very long thread which never actually concluded.
@mods,
For continuity is there merit in merging this thread with the one referenced by ejs?

Seems like the best speed referenced here https://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,115276.msg994591.html#msg994591 has not been seen again.
I note that Chris Pettitt was chasing down an exchange fault when the original thread petered out....
As Anotherone suggests, it's back to basics - current stats and if the synch speed is below 3.7Mbps raise a fault report at http://faults.plus.net

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

I don't think there's any merit in a merge, as there've been "changes" to the "circuit" since last year. I'm trying to use some generic terminology so no-one please try to read too much into that.
There is already a ticket open on the account Townman, so no point whatsoever in trying to raise another fault.
Let's just start with TG582n Full DSL stats please Robert, then we can move from that to see what help we can provide.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

Quote from: Anotherone
ejs, I'd noticed that, and as I commented on another thread if that also resets the MSR/FTR and the line does have some sort of fault not obviously showing itself, you can end with with a lower FTR and little chance of convincing BTw to accept a fault.

True, if that were the case, but according to the ccSNR Best Practise Guide, page 4, it's not the case.
NB: ccSNR will initiate a new 10 stabilisation period but at the end of this the new MSR/FTR will be
equal to or higher than the MSR/FTR prior to the ccSNR request. The ccSNR logic ensures it cannot
be set lower than the previous MSR (Maximum Stable Rate) / FTR (Fault Threshold Rate).

Personally I've got a line with a typical DSL uptime of only a few days, but this has no impact on my line speed, it re-connects each time at a very similar speed.
Anotherone
Champion

It must sometimes be the case, because I've seen it happen! whether it should or not!! Why I don't know, but we are drifting off-topic and likely to confuse Robert.
robert1935
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
I don't think there's any merit in a merge, as there've been "changes" to the "circuit" since last year. I'm trying to use some generic terminology so no-one please try to read too much into that.
There is already a ticket open on the account Townman, so no point whatsoever in trying to raise another fault.
Let's just start with TG582n Full DSL stats please Robert, then we can move from that to see what help we can provide.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Robert,
If the attenuation reported by the router is correct (59.5dB) then this line is doing stunningly well!
The synch speed is way over expectation in the stats you have just posted and the actual data transfer rate is quite close to the profile.
Given you need just a little more for your TV to work, I'm wondering if your line is good enough to work stably with a target SNRM of just 3dB.  It might just be enough to get you what you want, but it is asking a lot of a 4.3km line.
@CRT,
How long do the copper tests report the line to be?  Would be useful to confirm that the router is correctly reporting attenuation, as errors here are not unknown...!
Kevin

robert1935
Grafter

Sorry Kevin, don’t know what copper tests are. all I know is 3+mbps works my smart tv, and its working fine at the mome
Bob
PS The Openreach engineer did fit a new box, which he said was better than the old one, it does not need an external filter