cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would cause this?

esseff
Grafter

What would cause this?

When I first started using 21CN I was getting a sync speed of 22000 (I'm close to the exchange) and a BT profile of 18000. This gave me a download speed of 16.7 Mbps and an actual speed of 2.1 Mbps.
About 6 weeks later this suddenly dropped to 16000. It would go up again to 18000 every 3 weeks, stay that way for a few days then drop back to 16000. I assumed this was due to the DLM stabilising itself, and it happened 3 times like this before settling on the lower figure permanently. I wasn't too bothered, I was still getting really fast downloads, and had just been spoilt by the previous figures.
A month later my sync rate dropped to 15000 and then 14000, and that's where it's stayed for the last few months. My download speed has been around 1.5 Mbps. Still good. If I ran a BT speedtest or a PN one, this equated to a figure around 13 Mbps.
Over the last 10 days my download speed has dropped to 1.2 Mbps. A speed test at different times of the day shows a figure of around 10 Mbps. My sync rate hasn't changed at all. Can anyone tell me what's going on here? I've tried rebooting the router, changing the filter. I'm connected directly to the master socket. It seems the longer this goes on the lower my connection is becoming.
16 REPLIES 16
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: What would cause this?

Hi esseff,
Your sync rate seems to be set on the BT side at just over 15Mb so it's definitely slower than it was, this could be degredation of the wires or possibly some kind of interference (probably more likely given your distance from the exchange) - I assume there's nothing new been plugged in to the phone system at your premises?
Not sure what's causing the slow speeds of 1.2Mbps though and can't see anything on your profile or usage here that might be slowing things either. Where is it you're downloading from at that speed?
esseff
Grafter

At first I thought it was just affecting Rapidshare, but it's across the board. Nothing new plugged in. If it was interference, surely it wouldn't be either continuous at any time of the day or night, or exactly the same figure all the time. I now never get more than 1265 Kbps actual download speed.
There's clearly a problem as this has been slowly getting worse over quite some time. What can we do about it? I'd rather not wait until things get any worse.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi esseff,
I'm just doing some investigating in house on this, if it turns up nothing then we'll see if we can get a fault raised but I'd rather check things here first. I'll let you know if I pull something up.
esseff
Grafter

An update to my previous message.
Non-rapidshare downloads are now coming in around 1.36, where as RS (and other download sites) never go higher than around 1.26. Prior to this issue my download speed was my download speed. Does this shed any light on anything? Do you have an update for me on the investigations?
esseff
Grafter

Matt, can you give me an update on where we are with this?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I've asked about the profile and it's all confirmed as correct so it's not anything here. As you've said it's on pretty much all sites and all times I'll go ahead and test your line and see if there's any grounds for a fault. I guess laptops work as normal on other connections and other PCs in your house show the same speeds?
esseff
Grafter

All other machines are connected wirelessly. I have the only wired connection. I'd expect my connection to be the best and fastest. And nobody is making a connection when I'm testing download speeds.
esseff
Grafter

How long does a line test take to complete?
esseff
Grafter

Things have now gotten worse! My router data rate has dropped to just over 15000 (was 17200 this morning) and my noise margin is now at 16 (was 11 this morning). That means I've gone from 22000 to 15000 and Noise margin 5 to 16 since being on 21CN. Something is clearly wrong.
It doesn't make sense why I now always get 100 Kbps less when I download from Rapidshare (or any other download site) than I do when I download via http if there wasn't some restricting going on.
Have you had any result from the line test? Is it worth resetting my training period?
esseff
Grafter

I take it Matt isn't around. Can someone else from PN reply to this?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Please stop bumping this thread - This is the rule http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,218.0.html#post_bump
Bumping of posts
"Bumping" is the act of adding to a thread just to get your topic back to the top of the list in a forum and should not be done.
Users who keep bumping their topics face action that may include the locking of the topic and / or removal of forum access.
esseff
Grafter

Or, it may be that it never even crossed my mind about wanting to get my topic to the top of the list, but that I'm looking for a solution to my problem and haven't had a response since the 23rd!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi esseff,
Sorry about the delay in coming back to you, I've now raised the fault for you as there was a lower threshold breach apparent on the line (you can see any updates on the ticket I've raised on your account). We'll let you know as soon as we get anything back.
Alxns
Grafter

Are you sure its 1.36mbps?
or is it 1.36MB/s cause thats around 13-14mbps download.