Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would cause TG582n to to lose WiFi on all devices at the same time

TORPC
Grafter

Re: What would cause TG582n to to lose WiFi on all devices at the same time

It has happened again with a twist
The twist is that it knocked off the wired connection aswell
In both WiFi and Ethernet I could Telnet and also access the router GUI, and done a disconnect and connect which did not make any difference.
I also done a connectivity check and the only 1 with a Red X is the IPv6 which has always been the case with the TG582n all the rest had the Green Ticks
The solution was again to turn off the WiFi Button and turn it back on again
Quote from: ejs
If it happens again you could check each device still has a correct IP address, subnet, default gateway address, and if not, see if setting those manually to some correct values on the computer changes anything.

All devices checked as per your direction and their settings were and still all correct
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

That's what started to happen to me as well.  Last two times it did it all Internet activities were lost but router access remains.  Glad it's not just me then.
TORPC
Grafter

This is the 3rd time this has happened with another twist
Exactly as the 2nd time stopping Ethernet & WiFi at the same time, whilst showing local only on WiFi and showing full connectivity Vista Ethernet connected laptop

B.I.F all lights on the router on all occasions were reporting as normal activity 
However the fix that worked twice failed to work a 3rd time and I turned the router off & on by it little black button on the back of the router (which brought everything back to life
Noticed the router felt a bit warmer than normal and it is in a well ventilated area with no restrictions to the vents
Accessed the router GUI and completed a Connectivity Check
And they all passed as per normal
And IMHO I do not see the need for a dropdown box that has only 1 option named Internet
Does the Fibre router have more than 1 option ?Huh

Note: to PlusNet staff

I am going to swap back over the the original TG582n therefore I do expect a drop in Sync, which is normal
There may also be a 1 or more disconnect and reconnects whilst I set it up for all devices
There is no requirement for you to send a spare router at this time, will monitor on original before deciding if router need to be sent out Smiley

TORPC
Grafter

Router now changed over all is ok so far
Now setup most of the devices Named & shamed them in the router and give them static always on addresses
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Well mine has gone again as well. Absolutely no access to Internet but according to router everything is ok. Sky box cant access on demand but has an ip. I have waited over 20mins now and things still not working.  Router a little warm underneath.  Ethernet and Internet light keep flashing together at regular intervals. Typing this from phone 3g connection. Its really getting silly is this. I have an older 585v7 that in going to try later too busy to be messing about at the moment. Plusnet need to start taking this seriously. 2 customers with the same router and firmware with exact same issues.
TORPC
Grafter

@Penfold
I imaging PlusNet Staff will address this again tomorrow at the earliest as its the weekend and limited staff Smiley
Will assess the Original router and see how it goes (Taking into account) that the other router was up for over 10 days before problem(s) arose
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Ok.... before I went out earlier, I noticed the router ethernet and internet lights had stopped flashing, as I noted before.  Tried the sky box network settings and the connection to on demand went from fail to connected. Tried accessing internet from tablet, and got the message coult not connect to webpage as the network connection has changed. The message 'connected to plusnet wireless xxxxx' flashedbup, and all restored.  This was approx 35mins from when it went down.  All I was doing before was updating some apps on my phone. Cannot understand why the router reports no problems accessing plusnets dns servers. Would be interesting to get the opinions of plusnets networking experts.
I would be happy to do any kind of testing.  I am not going to do anything to this router now and see what happens.
TORPC
Grafter

I notice  you mentioned "Cannot understand why the router reports no problems accessing plusnets dns servers."
I always use OpenDNS
Come to think of it I am wondering if the TG582n was trying to default back to the PN default DNS Servers when the problem(s) arise
The ISP DNS settings may creep back in over time.
A metric value of 0 has been used to give these new DNS settings priority over any ISP settings.
eg the lower the metric the higher the priority.

Source http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#dnsr10
TORPC
Grafter

Uptime: 1 day, 1:51:06
And no issues as yet, Smiley
However the previous router was up for over 10 days so may have a waiting time on our hands
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Came home tonight, and wife reported Internet fine this morning, but absolutely terrible this afternoon. Tried myself, and webpages took an age to load or not at all....
Rebooted router, and all came back fine.  I am thinking this router is on its way out.....
TORPC
Grafter

Still early days but no issues to report as yet Smiley
Although Uptime: 2 days, 8:20:43 with approx 8 days to go if the timeframe is anything to go by
TORPC
Grafter

Ok I spoke to soon lol
I got back and replied to a post that I had already typed the reply in, and must of clicked on preview not submit (being major distracted an multi-tasking this morning)
Couldn't say how long it was off for in total this time:(
that appeared to go through ok. however after I clicked the back button to go back and refresh the main forum page to see what updates there is, I had the never ending green spinning circle on Vista wired to ethernet again
Checked and my Droid Phablet was not connected WiFi again neither was my phone connecting to WiFi
Connectuvity check via the router GUI still reports all except IPv6 with green ticks

image hosting 30 mb
Still had access to the router GUI, and can ping the router etc as detailed above
And the fix was to switch off / on the WiFi button (again)
Uptime: 3 days, 2:08:49
Now that is 2 yes that is 2 TG583n PN routers that is exhibiting the same issue(s) on the same firmware / hardware
Is anyone from PlusNet going to pick this back up ?Huh

TORPC
Grafter

It seems that the TG582n has other issue(s)
Whilst trying to access my hosts server to backup my site I hit a snag or 2
Quote from: TORPC
I have changed the Advanced setting to off for testing
Disconnected via the router GUI and hit a snag
It took me straight to the login page and will not allow me to log back in to Reconnect
Switched router Off / On now able to connect to internet
However
Lost access to Router GUI
Going to try a telnet
Telnet comes back Invalid UserName/Password
Closing connection
Will factory reset the router and edit report Smiley

After a factory reset
I can access the router GUI
&
Telnet into router
but
Still can not not access my site via CMD FTP
tried the Disconnect / Reconnect
& stops me from logging back into the router GUI and Telnet
Any attempts to access any webpages takes me to the router login page until I either turn router Off / On or Factory reset the Router
Thus preventing me from using the Disconnect / Reconnect facility Sad
Can we safely say that I have 2 dodgy routers ?? see my other thread in Broadband and Routers

See the history of these new Issues

Edit:
Put edit into correct post for clarity
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
That's not good, it's the first I've heard of that happening to be honest. Let me know if it keeps happening so I can sort you a replacement.
Adam

Its been 5 days since PlusNet staff has responded and never replied back Sad
I am going on ye ole dogn bone and see if I can get that replacement router I had originally put on hold
Quote from: TORPC
Quote from: _Adam_Walker_
That's not good, it's the first I've heard of that happening to be honest. Let me know if it keeps happening so I can sort you a replacement.
Adam

Cheers Adam, I will continue to monitor and report back, I still have the original TG582n here which keeps forgetting to send it, so will still keep hold of it for the time being, to save sending another replacement out. (if that is ok with you)

Edit:
Just got off the dogn bone and are going to try a firmware flash to the Non USB Firmware
Was advised that the reason for loss of WiFI could be channel congestion (although inSSIDer & WiFi Anylizer both report channel 13 as the only non congested channel) but not sure why on a couple of occasions it has knocked the Ethernet off aswell.
Had a good lengthy chat with Mark  and even he wanted to check 1 or 2 things with his colleagues for clarification Wink

Edit 2:
Reflashed the firmware with the 10.2.2.B without USB Firmware all went well as expected, upon [code=Telnet  file=USB-Controller = Enabled]Username : admin
Password : ***********
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Technicolor TG582n
Firmware 10.2.2.B.EH
Copyright (c) 1999-2012, Technicolor
------------------------------------------------------------------------
{admin}=>
{admin}=>env set var=SESSIONTIMEOUT value=0
{admin}=>saveall
{admin}=>pwr config
ECO-Manager              : Enabled
System State            : ON
Feature                  | Admin State
--------------------------------------
CPU-Microsleep          : Enabled
CPU-Lowspeed            : Enabled
USB-Controller          : Enabled
WLAN Power Control      : Enabled
PHY Power Control        : Disabled
{admin}=>[/code]
Can anyone from plusnet please explain why the NON USB PORT firmware for the NON USB PORT Router clearly caters for the USB Router by default ??  which can not be turned off by using the traditional Telnet command
[code=Telnet file=option not allowed]{admin}=>pwr config usb-controller=disabled
Option not allowed => usb-controller
Unknown command.[/code]
&
Why it is incorrectly marked up ??
on http://products.plus-payh.co.uk/firmware/
&
Where is the proper NON USB PORT Router firmware ?Huh
&
Why the Copyright is 2 years out of date ?Huh
I know some may think small points or nitpicking however they mount up and require asking (Do the not) ?Huh
Plus I was always taught no question is a silly question Wink
&
May help narrow down some of the known issue(s) with the TG582n Router
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
To answer your questions:
1) That's because the controller chip still has the functionality enabled for the USB port, it's just that the hardware isn't installed. The power management bit still has the ability to control it, and I daresay it's still in the firmware because there was no real need to remove it.
2) As per the above, it's not - that firmware is for the non-USB version of the router even if that bit of power management is still included. If you plug a USB device into the port I very much doubt it'll pick up anything.
3) I can only assume it's because that header hasn't been updated - not sure why that is I'm afraid. We'll mention it next time we talk to them.
Hope that helps.