Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What would cause TG582n to to lose WiFi on all devices at the same time

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: What would cause TG582n to to lose WiFi on all devices at the same time

I don't think it's possible for the phone to cause the wifi / ethernet connectivity issues. I suppose it might in theory be possible to do all sorts of interesting things via UPnP from looking at the .xml files under the /archive/VERSION/active/upnp/ directory of the firmware, but I think this is extremely unlikely to be the cause of your problems.
Rather than endless speculation, you could see exactly what was going on over your wifi if you captured the wireless traffic in monitor mode using Wireshark or Microsoft Network Monitor.
TORPC
Grafter

What in specific would I be looking out for, by using WireShark or Microsoft Network Monitor. ?Huh
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

@TORPC
No don't have Facebook or Twitter in use. Cant uninstall then, but I don't have an account with them anyway. Wouldn't touch these social networking sites with a bargepole.
Dont want to speak too soon, but on the 8.4.4.j firmware currently have no issues.
Its all very very odd. 
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Also just checked my router logs. Seem to have solved the problem with the tablet and the logon wireless station cant get authorised business. I shortened the wireless name and cganed the passphrase. Oddly, now my android phone has started it. There are 2 logs of this, seem oddly to coincide when I have come back in, and its switched from 3g to wireless, as its set to automatically. Cant fathom this behavior out at all.
TORPC
Grafter

I also do not & have never used the pre-installed Facebook / twitter apps, & even though they are disabled Facebook still likes to call home for updates & (whatever else) ?Huh
It is odd to say the least
& since some wireshark experts are highly recommending Wireshark et al
Can they please answer some of the questions that have not been answered & some not asked as yet, before I even attempt to install the likes of wireshark et all
1. Is the Portable version ok to use or do I actually require the full instal version
2. Are you wanting me to use the most up to date version or the same version as you have installed
3. Will it need to be run using Administrator rights
4. Do I have to make any adjustments from the default settings, IE:Set the Capture filter etc
5. Is yes to number: 3 then what adjustments has to be made
6. What should I pay particular attention to IE: TCP, IP Address etc

ejs
Aspiring Hero

Questions 1 and 3 imply you'll be running Wireshark on Windows, but Wireshark can't capture wireless level traffic on Windows. Instead you would need to install Microsoft Network Monitor. The idea was to capture what if anything is sent to the 582n immediately before it goes wrong, but since you don't know when that will happen, it could involve capturing prohibitively large quantities of data. If the same thing is sent to the 582n each time it fails, then that would imply that's what's causing the 582n to fail. That assumes there is something causing the 582n to fail rather than the 582n somehow failing all by itself. So I guess we'll be back to guessing what might be the problem, as if someone from Technicolor will suddenly appear and reply to this thread if we guess correctly.
TORPC
Grafter

Still some unanswered questions
However
Let me clarify
Wireshark is no good for this cause, after requests for me to install / run
Therefore that would of been a waste of time resources / & space on the drive ?Huh
Microsoft Network Monitor may be good for this Cause, Yet not good at the same time ?Huh
Therefore more confusion is afoot
Please advise the absolute correct procedure / program / settings etc for me to follow
I am willing to test etc as have already been proved
However we do not need more confusion added to the equation / unnecessary programs / unsure if your advised programs will / will not work
Until 100% sure of what program / settings etc is required for testing, then I will not be installing any until we know for sure

Edit:
I also urge PlusNet to have a word with their suppliers in case they have heard of same / similar issue(s) with the other ISP's they supply to, & possibly have a fix in place or a workaround
Surley as there are millions of TG582n's in the wild, myself & Penfold can not be the only ones to have suffered from these issue(s)
Myself = 3 x TG582n's affected on the same Hardware
2 x NON USB on 10.2.2.B EH Firmware
1 x USB on 8.4.4.J Firmware
Penfold's (Please correct any error(s))
1 x NON USB on 10.2.2.B Firmware
Downgraded to 8.4.4.J Firmware
penfold
Aspiring Pro

Thats correct mate.
What I would like to know is what percentage of routers are returned,  and if known for what reason. It would be the greatest coincidence ever if its just me and you affected, and I just cannot see that
TORPC
Grafter

Exactly &
Unless all factors have been considered we will never know if we are the only 2
(to which I also doubt),
Out of X amount of millions / country wide & quite possible worldwide with various ISP's across that range
It would be nice of PlusNet to ask Technicolor in any case, would it not ?Huh
We have eliminated so much, including
Devices we use as they are different
The only thing in that respect & same is the Facebook app that is disabled & not in use (which was mentioned earlier)
The TG582n Router
Therefore I find it realy hard to grasp that it is anything on our internal network that is causing this (yet to be proved otherwise though)
I think it is definitely a TG582n issue unless it is caused by that disabled (Unable to uninstall) Facebook app that still updates itself, as I have had the TG582n since December 02/12/2013 no issue(s) until 23/01/2014 which was after Facebook did a behind my back update.
ejs
Aspiring Hero

I can only suggest what I would do - capture some traffic at the wireless level, not provide excruciatingly detailed steps on exactly how to go about doing it (on your computer which I know nothing much about...) nor can I provide a 100% guarantee that it is certain to provide a definitive answer to "What would cause TG582n to to lose WiFi on all devices at the same time". Similarly, there are various telnet commands to extract more diagnostic or debugging information from the 582n, but I can't 100% guarantee they will provide the answer you are looking for (and you wouldn't be able to run them if you couldn't access the 582n telnet interface anyway, it seems to vary whether ethernet connections are affected or not), nor have I written up a webpage about them with what I think they do.
I think the problem is due to the 582n being an overcomplicated piece of junk and it's a waste of time trying to investigate or speculate what may or may not be wrong with it.
TORPC
Grafter

For clarity
I know that capturing the traffic is not 100% guaranteed, however I was referring, to the software you suggested on a system you know nothing about
Therefore are you really in a best position when
Basically you are saying
You suggest capture traffic with Software on an Operating system (you know nothing about) 
You originally Stated
Quote from: ejs

<snip>
Wireshark running on Linux can capture the wireless level (802.11) packets in "monitor mode". I believe Microsoft Network Monitor can do the same on Windows (Vista or later, not XP), but haven't tried it.

Then after I ask about settings you Claim
Quote from: ejs
Questions 1 and 3 imply you'll be running Wireshark on Windows, but Wireshark can't capture wireless level traffic on Windows. Instead you would need to install Microsoft Network Monitor.

Do you know for 100% certainty that Wireshark can't capture wireless level traffic on Windows machines (since you obviously do not have the experience)
The reason I ask is because you seem to have experience of Wireshark & Not Microsoft Network Monitor, to which you could advise on settings & provide better analysis
Q 1.14: Does Wireshark work on Windows Vista or Windows Server 2008?
A: Yes, but if you want to capture packets as a normal user, you must make sure npf.sys is loaded. Wireshark's installer enables this by default. This is not a concern if you run Wireshark as Administrator, but this is discouraged. See the CapturePrivileges page on the wiki for more details.
penfold
Aspiring Pro

To be honest here, i think that both TORPC and I have gone as far as we can troubleshooting.  This issue seems to manifest itself randomly with no 'obvious' cause. Mine seems to be fine now I have downgraded the firmware, but TORPCs dosnt for some odd reason. Plusnet are either unwilling and/or unable to help here, and are conspicuous by their absence from this thread.  We dont have particularly odd setups here, and the 582n that both my parents and inlaws have seems to give no obvious issues.
To this end, I feel further investigation is probably fruitless and I am not going to put much more effort in, unless plusnet want to try and get to the bottom of this. After we have finished decorating lounge I will be retiring the 582n and installing the billion.
TORPC
Grafter

IMHO
Unless PlusNet confirms that they require more testing & shows interest into this / these issue(s)
I also feel as though it will be a complete waste of time to continue further testing / since PlusNet is not wanting to look for a root cause / fix etx
I also feel that it is actually cheaper for PlusNet to send out new router(s) on a whim rather than find a fix
Therefore breaking their own Motto
We'll do you proud

Please live up to your Motto PlusNet
Or
Have you fell foul of the bigger you get the less you actually care about your consumer market (Curse) syndrome?Huh
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

TORPC:  So, so confirm this post: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,122856.msg1074747.html#msg1074747 shows the log of when it happened again on a router with no cli changes made to it and it was a complete ethernet and wireless drop out?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Eserim
Rising Star

HI - I'm about to (probably) take the plunge and go wit a FTTC contract, but a bit worried about the bad feedback the PlusNet provided Wireless router is getting - if I went live today, is this the model that will be shipped, or have things moved on a bit?
Cheers
Eserim
PS - and just a thought, as my current ADSL Modem/Router has LAN ports, could I just not plug this into the BT Modem, disable the ASL stuff and use it purely as a router?