cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do when source of REIN doesnt want to know!

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: What to do when source of REIN doesnt want to know!

Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately I'm not sure we can really offer further advice without first raising a fault with us and engaging our suppliers for further investigation. Let us know if you decide to go down this path.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Sadly we seem to have established this will cost me £65 for no result as it is extremely unlikely the engineer will be lucky enough to be able to monitor a REIN event whilst here Sad So it looks like the ball remains in my court!

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

Tp-link W8960n on longgggggggg line!
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Thanks for getting back to us.

From what I can see we haven't advised it will cost you £65, there's just that potential charge.

As there seems to be a fault with your service and the 1st engineer finds no fault, then it's likely we'd simply arrange a 2nd engineer if the problem persisted afterwards as opposed to charging you a call out fee for that visit.

I'd like to note that engineer charges are reviewed within 90 days following a fault investigation closing, and we robustly defend all call out charges to try to protect both you and ourselves from paying this unless absolutely valid.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
aesmith
Pro

Hello again, the line is quite long, the Downstream & Upstream attenuation being 54 & 31dB.

Thanks for the overview.   On a long line it might be worth disabling ADSL2+ and just running ADSL2.  There's a good chance you're not getting much (or any) benefit from the higher frequencies in 2+.

If it were me I wouldn't worry at all about FECs, although I suppose the rate gives some indication of changes in service characteristics.

What do you see in the way of CRCs and/or Errored Seconds?   When OR are testing broadband it's CRCs that they seem to look for as signs of problems.  Conversely DLM uses ES or more specifically mean time between ES.

Plusnet can get snapshot information from BT on your line, showing errors as reported by BT.   I have a feeling that the snapshot shows counts from the current 15 minute period, rather than the last 15 minutes.  Never the less if they took a couple of those snapshots and these showed high error rates then that would give something to go to BT with.

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro

Hi aesmith thanks for the reply, indeed I do not use 2+ the two tones shots below are shortly after resynch (19-04) and after several days of REIN events (07-05). I only use FECS as a more sensitive measure of modem receive performance than SNR and you are right the IP stack only responds to CRC's. The CRC shot below shows during a REIN event (mercifully short) and either side together with an SES shot from the same event. Fortunately the DLM is hard locked down to do nothing, before that it responded to every REIN event and basically the line had no service as a consequence.

Think I have to go round the block for more images Smiley

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro

RANT ALERT OMG what a load of garbage this site is, it just timed out my last edit and so i lost the lot Grrrrrr (and it refuses to allow me to edit the original post hence this one). END RANT

The enclosed shows the REIN shape and I surmise it is a warm-up problem as the width of the deepest part is longer in winter!

I have worked around it by adjusting my synch snr to ~4dB thus synch survives a ~2.5dB drop in snr and the error rate doesn't get so bad the link locks up. After a good few REIN events the baseline snr falls towards 3dB due to lost tones and then the REIN events become significant again, so I wait till no REIN and resynch the line again to get the base snr back up to ~4dB. So far so good, this gives me a rate of just over 6meg that to me is acceptable. Ohh I remember I said that I thought BT would only see interference when the REIN was at its worst (1st 20 minutes) and this will only happen twice a day (early morning & after lunch) if at all (not everyday).

Meanwhile nothing has happened regarding this guy getting his electrician involved so I think that was just defensive waffle!

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

How well do you know your neighbours?

How feasible is it for you to help them look at the performance of their lines?

Getting a few people seeing the same issue, all raising fault reports might get BTOR to see a locality issue and act to investigate it.  Having a cluster of subscribers showing the same symptoms might make a difference.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Asking everyone else to report a fault when @hitchhiker43 isn't even going to do so?

I'm not really sure why everyone is expecting that Openreach are somehow going to get something done about the issue considering that the source of the interference has already been identified and the owner wasn't particularly interested.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

@ejs

Can you offer a route to a solution, or do you suggest that the user just has to learn to live with it?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro

@Townman wrote:

How feasible is it for you to help them look at the performance of their lines?

The biggest problem they face is standard ISP modems with no reporting abilities or interface to allow scripts such as DSLSTATS, without that the problem is impossible to monitor though they all do universally report poor performance ~1-1.5Mbps and of course they are with different ISP's.

Maybe I should try the tack of "I get 6Mbps, why not ask your ISP why you are not" !!

hitchhiker43
Aspiring Pro

@ejs wrote:

Asking everyone else to report a fault when @hitchhiker43 isn't even going to do so?

You are perfectly welcome to pay my charges if you are so enthusiastic Smiley