cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What to do and who to speak to improve this wire/connectivity situation?

dcdc
Grafter

What to do and who to speak to improve this wire/connectivity situation?

Internet connectivity is through one tenuous wire. It works now, but what should I do in the future? 

Got a new place with lots of old lines, co-axials etc. Gradually removing an plastering things I don't need, but what should be done about the dodgy looking connection below? Does plusnet deal with this or Open Source? Or someone else? I can mess around with it myself if I have an idea of what to do and the risk of being down for a while. But I don't really want to risk being down (internet) for more than a day or so as I mostly work from home.

Or is the single wire connection below totally fine and nothing needs to be done? It obviously works, but I'm wondering what a fresh install would look like and if this is in anyway downgraded?

6 REPLIES 6
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: What to do and who to speak to improve this wire/connectivity situation?

@dcdc I'm no expert, but that really need looking at by BT/OR - whether you would be liable for a call-out charge or not I can't say, but it is behind the master socket so legally you can't touch it. You would have to arrange via Plusnet.

John
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

That looks awful!!  Someone in the past has made a real bodge (illegal) job of that.

It looks like the wire coming out that the wall (inbound feed?) has been taken into a double-gang box and therein is chock-a-blocked to multiple other wires (extensions).  That is star configured wiring and is not going to perform well for broadband operation.

You can request a master socket relocation service via Plusnet.  If my memory is correct, this costs £160.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

bmc
Hero
Fixes: 49

@dcdc 

First thing to do is to see what's available to you and whether there are plans for pure fibre. Check the following links

https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL

https://checker.ofcom.org.uk/

With the first link WBC FTTP in the left hand column would be nice. The second will only show operators who are live for your premises. If any Alternative provider is in the process of building or planning to do so it won't show. You would need to search locally for information.

If you're ripping out cables have you thought about putting ethernet cables in to replace them (if possible). For example you could run one from downstairs to upstairs to service a mesh unit or WiFi Access point.

Brian

dcdc
Grafter

Thanks, 

I wonder if I can use other ports in other rooms. I just pointed to some port when they came (we had just moved in) but have no idea which is best and the OR guy didn't seem very interested in anything.

Will probably call plusnet to explain and see what options are. Don't mind paying for any improvements, just don't trust OR to actually be proactive.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

What OR does all depends upon what is on their job sheet and the disposition of the individual engineer.

Recently had a BT engineer attend to look at an issue - the house wiring was old, the NTE was not current standard.  I had hoped that the engineer might replace the socket and be influenced to move the master socket to a different location in providing modern fit for purpose inbound wire - the new location requiring much less wire.

"Not on my job sheet and that will cost you..." ... I'll just disconnect the extension wiring and mess with other stuff

Problem still not fixed and a different engineer attended - that socket needs to be replaced, the wiring is not to standard ... would it be OK if I put the new socket over there - it will be easier for me...

Mission accomplished!!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hiya @dcdc, thanks for getting in touch on our forums. 

I'm sorry for the issues with your wiring and would like to do what I can to assist here. 

I'm actually having some issues viewing the image on your post, though judging from your/ the other users responses... it sounds bad! 

We can look to send out an engineer, to get them to look at it for you. I have created a ticket here for you: https://www.plus.net/wizard/?p=view_question&id=224039108 and if you just reply with your availability, I can look to get that booked in for you (if you add a reply, just give me a nudge on here). 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team