Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What takes 72 hours?

scrookes
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: What takes 72 hours?

Hi again,
I can assure you that all the work I had done was indicating on test results that the service was working as expected.
A recent test this morning shows your stats:
Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss:  27 45
SNR Margin:  22 6
Errored Seconds:  2 0
HEC Errors:  0 0
Cell Count:  -1314297447 1124773814
Speed:  448 5920
Your internal workplace profile is set to 7150kbps so there is nothing on our side lowering the speeds you should be achieving.
In order to see the BRAS profile I would appreciate you completing a full speed test at www.speedtest.btwholesale.com, ensuring that you run all the additional diagnostics offered.
Could you also kindly post any stats from your router as requested by the community as we are all here to help you resolve the issues you are experiencing.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Quote from: Bromder
My speeds on download are ranging from 0.80 - 0.90 download, upload 0.40.

Thought ill post this after another day of being disconnected from internet (10days now),
" On further investigation I note that the profile stored for your line at our supplier is set incorrectly too.
A modify order has again been placed and this should reflect by midnight at the latest tonight."

Hi Bromder,
Can you help us here a bit more please?
Do you perceive a data speed issue or a complete no connection issue?  Your different posts are a little confusing.

The information posted by Steve indicates that you are on a BT 20CN service (old technology) as I guess that BT have not upgraded your exchange to support ADSL2 - see http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php
For the lines length / attenuation the synch speed is excellent: with a loop loss of 45dB with a SNRM of 6dB one would hope to see 5888kbps - at 5920kbps, your synch speed is doing well.
For clarity, synch speed and data speed are quite different measures.  Synch speed is governed by the quality of the phone line, internal wiring, filters, router, in-exchange equipment and the absence of noise and interference on the line.
Data speeds are controlled by IP profiles (flow control limits) held at various points of the inter-connecting network, both within the BTw network and PlusNet's.  Steve's advice indicates that the PlusNet profile is not a limiting factor for ADSL1, though I do have a small concern about it being higher than it ought to be.
On 20CN services there is a history of problems with BTw profiles in their network, which is why we ask the USER to post the information that they see.  For the synch speed reported above, the BTw profiles should be 5Mbps (5696 - 6239kb/s 5000 (up to 5Mb/s) ) - see http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml#ipProfile for more information.  The BTw speed test, further diagnostics will expose the BTw profile for your line.
If the profile you see and the profile PlusNet hold are the same, then attention needs to be turned to one of the known odd-ball issues with the internals of the BTw network.  It is sadly all too common that the tools provided to ISPs to manage 20CN services do not always do what they say on the tin.  There have been extreme circumstances where the whole line configuration has needed to be "ripped down" and rebuilt to get some of the BTw internals working properly.  Hence it is possible that PlusNet has sought to apply the changes, but those changes have failed within BTw's systems.
For what its worth, Steve is ex-business support and what he does not know about this space is not worth writing down.  If he is encountering issues, then it is an obscure problem.
I look forward to seeing the requested information to allow us to help you further.
PS: You running a BTw speed test (as requested by Steve) exposes additional information from BTw to PlusNet.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Bromder
Grafter

Morning
Just run a BTW speedtest
Download 0.98
Upload 0.38
Ping 42.88
will try a router reset as per instruction of phone call with plusnet today
Bromder
Grafter

Router reset done and BTW speedtest results are:
Download 0.98
Upload 0.38
Ping 49.63
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Morning Bromder,
Sorry, but you need to do the full BTw speed test, including the FURTHER DIAGNOSTICS option at the bottom of the first speed test.  See screen grab below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

scrookes
Aspiring Pro

You need to run the full speedtest.
That information is speed test lite as it only shows down, up and ping latency.
Further diagnostics should be offered and I would be grateful if you can complete that too, posting a screengrab of the results.
Bromder
Grafter

Morning Townman
I have internet at this moment which I can use but im only getting speeds posted below, i have before switching to plusnet had speeds of download 6-8 mbps, i have transferred to plusnet using the same phone line with no engineer visit to my property just a simple switch over.
On the phone today plusnet have confirmed that they have set me up incorrectly and my speeds have been limited to 1mbps to which they are trying correct now so I can get 7mbps i hope, Steve can you confirm this?
Im not surprised by what you say with me being on old technology recently had a complete fail in my phone and broadband connection when with sky due to the line which I was on being tin (could be some other old metal Smiley ) completely giving up on life, I was however transferred to a copper line and for the last 2 month had no issues getting speeds of 6-8mbps
From my point of view everything worked and this should of been a simple switch over I might be wrong so please correct me but no engineer would of touched my line or the exchange for this switch over in which case this issue is with plusnet setting up my account / router / settings?
Many thanks for all the support from the community and apologies on the aggressive attitude as I really feel at this moment badly let down by plusnet and i have unintentionally expressed that attitude to people just trying to help
Bromder
Grafter

hi, i did try the further diagnostic three time with same message
"The Performance Tester is currently unable to run a speed test for your broadband connection. Please try again shortly, however if this problem persists, raise the issue with your service provider."
im trying a screen grab with ctrl + print screen but i assuming I cant do that on this forum or thats the wrong keyboard shortcut?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Could you confirm that you are running the speed tests using a WIRED connection and not wireless please.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

On the phone today plusnet have confirmed that they have set me up incorrectly and my speeds have been limited to 1mbps to which they are trying correct now so I can get 7mbps i hope, Steve can you confirm this?

Hi Bromder,
I understand that fix has been tried - one wonders if there are issues with the BTw system as I hinted.
The further diagnostic failure is in its self a very illuminating diagnostic, again pointing to BTw 20CN configuration issues.  I hope that these clues will assist PlusNet to further investigate the issue.  We've seen this before - to all intents and purposes, the configuration (visible to PlusNet) all looks fine, however BTw internals are out of step and  / or order changes do not 'take'.
As for putting a screen grab on to the forum, you need to save the image somewhere (for example the desk top) and then attach it to you post by using the "Additional Options & Attachments..." link below the message window.  The snipping tool is very useful for obtaining screen grabs.
From my point of view everything worked and this should of been a simple switch over I might be wrong so please correct me but no engineer would of touched my line or the exchange for this switch over in which case this issue is with plusnet setting up my account / router / settings?

Completely agree with that expectation.  It does though seem that a mistake was made and thereafter the BTw systems are all a bit confused.  As I said, this has been seen before since BTw removed the native 20CN tools for managing 20CN services.  ISPs now have to use the 21CN tools 'bent' to work with 20CN services.  I try not to draw the wrong conclusions, but the thought of using one tool to manage something it was not originally designed to do leaves me uncomfortable.  Very rarely have I seen such approaches being successful.  I did do that once, but it was an exceptional circumstance.

scrookes
Aspiring Pro

Hi @Bromder,
Thanks for trying to run the performance test. It's a shame this doesn't work and is a known issue with BT Wholesale I've been trying to get fixed for a long time now.
I've contacted our Wholesale supplier as it appears to be a stuck profile on their side not updating correctly, despite us requesting this yesterday when you called, and via the modify order I placed.
The stuck profile is currently being updated by them and should reflect within 2 hours.  Once this has been done, please do run another speed test and if possible post your router stats to this page.
Should you still be experiencing less than 6-8Mb, then this may be due to how your line was routed when you were with the previous supplier (Sky?).  You did mention a poor "tin" connection in your previous post and this is likely an aluminium routed circuit that the engineer managed to re-route over copper to improve circuit speeds.
As you've moved suppliers the way the line is routed from the exchange is also likely to have been changed, resulting in physically different line characteristics. 
Should your "throughput" speed be fixed after this change I have requested today, but you still have an impacted line rate based on your experience with your previous supplier then please can you head over to:
http://faults.plus.net and raise a fault for investigation.  Our support team may choose to send an engineer to investigate. 
However, before doing that, can you also confirm that the router is connected to the test socket, you're not using any internal extension sockets, or wiring and that you have checked the phone line for any noise by dialling 17070 and choosing option 2 from the menu.
Bromder
Grafter

Just did a btw speedtest
Download 4.86
Upload 0.38
Ping 33.25
Its getting there  Smiley upload looks worrying
sorry can't work out the screen grab, not getting a save image option is this a google chrome flaw?
Yes i am using wired connection
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
Those figures look about spot on for the line stats Steve reported in post #15.
Faster US is available on Max Premium for which there is an additional monthly charge on 20CN.  Sadly if 21CN were available at your exchange, you could go faster for free - such are the characteristics of the BTw WBC products.