cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What socket do I plug into when told to plug into the "master socket"?

dougrice
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

What socket do I plug into when told to plug into the "master socket"?

There are two issues with the help:
1) When you say "plug in to the master socket", do you mean into the faceplate or into the socket the face plate plugs into.
1a)Plugging into the faceplate may leave noisy extension wiring in place.
1b) Plugging into the socket that the faceplate plugs into may isolate the extension wiring.
3) Nowhere in the help is there any suggestion about removing the bell wire, which solved my stability problems and download speed issues.
Exactly why the bell wire trashed the dowload speed so much is still an issue.
Maybe the speed test could report the number of retransmissions, and possibly bytes retransmitted and total bytes transmitted.
=======================
Added 17/01/2008 by dougrice
=======================
The NTE-5A socket I blagged off an OpenReach van has a filter ( inductor ) in series with the bell wire. The NTE5 master socket I got of the comms officer at work did not. My master socket does not have an inductor.
This is the wiring in my house as wired ( from 1991? )
The bell wire is the orange wire, the light gray wires are not used. The blue and Light blue carry the telephony and ADSL signals using balanced signals.

This is the wiring with Solwise Micro filters:

We do not need the bell wire as it is not doing anything with my correctly filtered sockets.
This is the wiring  with the bell wire disconnected at the master socket:

Mind you a lot of the micro filters being sold in Maplin and Focus and B&Q passed the bell wire straight through!
I have been able to get My ADSL set up to get the same acceptable downstream speed with the ADSL router at the master socket and at the end of the circa 1991 extension wiring.
Maybe Plusnet could lobby the Regulator and Industry to get the bell wire removed from the service description as it is causing significant problems to download speeds actually delivered to a significant number of people.
The BT Supplier's Information Note SIN 346 states that it should be filtered or disconnected. See section 7.3
( http://www.sinet.bt.com/346v2p6.pdf )
=======================
Added 23/01/2008 by dougrice
=======================

The new Open reach master socket, (which cannot be brought in our high street or DIY sheds ), filters the bell wire at the master socket, and should prevent noise being added to the B wire.:

It would work with a four wire micro filter, which our high street shops and DIY sheds were offering.
I found that the four wire micro filters did not work with my old master socket.
See http://www.dougrice.plus.com/Erlangs/adsl.htm#l6
and
http://www.dougrice.plus.com/Erlangs/adsl.htm#l7
See: http://www.dougrice.plus.com/Erlangs/adsl.htm

34 REPLIES 34
prichardson
Grafter

Re: What socket do I plug into when told to plug into the "master socket"?

Ideally, you should plug this into the test socket, isolating the internal extentions. At this time, you would not expect this, though further down the line we may request it.
The reason we do not ask you to disconnect the bell wire is because the bell wire is required. It is part of the Broadband service definiation used within the UK and whilst it may improve service, it will be reconnected by an engineer that visits (more worse, reconnection of this is a chargeable event). A bell wire faceplate or SSFP (filtered faceplate) may be installed in addition to this, but fall under the charges.
The cause of the bell wire trashing download speed is often due to the way it is installed.
Only 2 of the cables are required within an install, making it a 3rd if the bell wire is used. Pins 2 & 5 are balanced in that they are twisted together, were it is often the case that the bell wire isn;t, leaving a unbalanced setup.
If you are looking for retransmit figures, you may wish to look at DSL Reports.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The socket where the telephone line comes in to your house should have a removable lower half, the test socket is in there. The master socket is the front without the faceplate removed.
(Picture for anyone who hasn't looked inside)
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

dougrice
Rising Star

Everybody,
Many thanks for your helpful replies.
I suppose the Bell Wire is a bit like the man walking in front of the motor car with the red flag! Cars go a bit faster without him, but needed for the service at the time.
I tried the http://www.dslreports.com/tweaks web page over my wireless and cat5 connections and got some interesting and useful results. No retransmissions over cat5 and 4000 Mbps, 7 over wireless and 2000 Mbps.
The use of twisted pair cables is important.
I used to have a bit of flat four extention wire, so as an experiment, I tried adding a flat four wire extension cable which may have had an old noisy plug as well. Worth a look. It knocked down the downstream speed significantly.
Results at: http://www.dougrice.plus.com/Erlangs/adsl.htm#l8. I did not do a download test.
The extension wiring is my responsibilty.

Thanks again.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

How big is that file - loading it stalled out.
Better check as if it is too big it could create havoc with your usage
Nick_Russell
Grafter

Lots of helpful information on Clarity website...
http://www.clarity.it/telecoms/adsl_articles.htm
maranello
Pro

Firstly, I apologize if I'm not using this forum correctly, but I have a similar query.
Secondly, I'm new to broadband, and am finding the technology as described in many of these threads quite daunting, compared to dial up which simply plugs into the phone socket.
I've just been given an activation date of 22nd Jan. so thought I would do some preparation. Read advice about micro filters so bought a couple from PC World. Then, assuming that for BBYW Option 1 I would get a voyager 210 router, I downloaded the hardware instructions and found out that two micro filters will be included (so a quick trip to PC World this lunchtime for a refund, hopefully)
A couple of questions...
Until I let my contacts know my new email address I want to keep my payg dial-up access with my current provider. Currently plugged into the master socket via a telephone extension running under the carpet, with a socket doubler at the master for a Dect cordless phone. So, if I plug the microfilter into the master socket, can I still plug the phone doubler into the filter, and will this have any implications for the router performance once it is set up?
I would like to run the connection from master socket to the router under the carpet the same way as the telephone extension. How long will be the cable supplied, are they simple to extend or should I get a longer cable without using a coupling (I need 5 metres)?
Thanks, in anticipation of many helpful responses. Looking forward to faster downloads, and a more reliable and supportive ISP
Maranello
My other car isn't a Ferrari
jelv
Seasoned Hero

it is probable that you will still be able to collect emails from your old ISP while connected to Plusnet (sending via your old ISP probably won't work). You may therefore not need to connect via your old modem
paulby
Grafter

As jelv said, you'll be able to collect mail from your old ISP while connected to PN.
To send mail, you need to edit the account details and change the OUTGOING (SMTP) server details to PN's, i.e. relay.plus.net
You should then be able to send and receive from your old account. 
maranello
Pro

Thanks Paul_B and Jelv
Access to emails via my old provider shouldn't be a problem, since they have a webmail facility. The main issue is that if I don't access via their 0845 dial-up number at least once a month then my account will be locked and I will have to phone their support line. This is after all how they recover their costs. I've got BT modem protection so no potential problem with rogue dialers. I suppose it would probably be prudent to switch off the router before connecting via dial-up.
My other car isn't a Ferrari
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I would suggest either disabling the PN network connection on your PC or just unplugging the cable between your PC and the router might be effective.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Remember that if you want to maintain your email addresses with your old provider you will probably need to dial into it every couple of months. It would be advisable to check.
notheruser
Grafter

I'd have to disagree with P Richardson's comment:-
"The reason we do not ask you to disconnect the bell wire is because the bell wire is required. It is part of the Broadband service definiation used within the UK and whilst it may improve service, it will be reconnected by an engineer that visits (more worse, reconnection of this is a chargeable event). "
The bell wire (pin 3) will not (or should not) be reconnected by an engineer, since it's none of his business! On the master socket, only pins 2 and 5 are connected to the telecom company's incoming cable. Pins 2,3,4, and 5 are connected on the removable faceplate, which comes away to reveal the test socket.That's the cable clearly visible on jelv's helpful picture. Everything connected to that front plate is the customer's responsibility.
If you disconnect pin 3, any phones connected to the extension wiring will not ring. (Some may, but if they fully comply with UK specifications, they shouldn't.)
If all of your connected equipment is to UK standards, and the wiring is carried out correctly, then in theory, disconnecting pin 3 will make no difference at all to your Broadband. Check your extension wiring - make sure that pin 2 on the master plate connects to pin 2 on the extension plate, etc. (Some incorrect wiring configurations work, but cause other problems).
Also, be very careful of running cables under carpets - especially if the cable run goes anywhere where it is being stood on!
Filtered faceplates can only be used if the Broadband router is being plugged in at the Master socket location - their only benefit is that you then don't need microfilters on all your other phones.