Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What sets noise margin (SNR)

drmiket
Grafter

What sets noise margin (SNR)

Hello all,
Am new to ADSL and have been getting problems lately (which I won't go into here) so I have been monitoring things.
I have noticed that the noise margin figure has changed (increased a bit). I have the following questions:
1) what figure is *good* for ADSL? I have read low is better and higher is better. The internet, as ever, is a mine of mis-information!
2) what causes it to change? A human or the router itself?
2a) Why? i.e. what rules do either apply to decide it needs to change
2b) What does it change to?
3) If it's *bad* can I manually change it?
3a) if not can someone else change it?
I don't want to get side-tracked into discussing the problems I've had as I already have 2 tickets open.
I am asking so I can learn.
thanks
Mike

30 REPLIES 30
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: What sets noise margin (SNR)

You might like to start with a read of this http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm
Then if you've got any more specific questions then shout up.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

drmiket
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks for the link MisterW. I've read it is rather assumptive of the reader. To answer my own questions, in part.
Quote from: drmiket

1) what figure is *good* for ADSL? I have read low is better and higher is better. The internet, as ever, is a mine of mis-information!
for a long line a higher margin is better.

Quote from: drmiket
2) what causes it to change? A human or the router itself?
A human alters the noise *margin* using a "profile".
pass
pass
3) If it's *bad* can I manually change it?
If you're lucky with an I-plate, removing the bell wire or moving house to be closer to BT's exchange
pass

More input needed for the rest. To me, my profile is what I look like when viewed from the side...
New questions are :
4) what is a "profile",
4a) who sets it,
4b) can you get them to "up" it?
(Yes, I can guess what it is, but it would be just that, a guess. I want facts).
regards,
Mike
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

4) what is a "profile",

As you've been talking about speeds and SNR figures, I'm going to assume you mean the IP profile, please correct me if I'm wrong.
There's quite a good description of how the IP profile is calculated over here:
link:speed
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
drmiket
Grafter

You're corrected Chris. I didn't mention speed, you did. The info you linked to is OK but it doesn't answer all my questions. I am trying to understand the rules of engagement - that seem to be set by BT. Given BT are an aggressive penny pinching monopoply I trust them as far as a worm can spit. Yes, that's a cynical view, but pragmatic. They want to squeeze as much value from the wires laid across the nation as they can. That's fine. I want to know if you can help counter-act the tinkering they call "IP Profile".

1) what SNR margin figure is *good* for ADSL?
6dB is the minimum value and BT increases it if they decide the line quality is too low to be usable
2) what causes SNR margin to change?
BT automates the SNR margin at the exchange. I don't know how.

BT doubles the margin which results in a logarithmic change of 3dB
3) If the SNR margin is *bad* can I manually change it?
Maybe - using your master socket, disconnect all other phones OR fit filters to them, fit an I-Plate to the master socket, disconnect the bell wire, pray to the God Furnatooo, paint yourself pink and dance naked round the BT cabinet on a full moon.
A comms engineer might help.
4) what is a "profile"
BT decides how much bandwidth you get for your money by setting the SNR and the Power. They call this a "profile". They may or may not include other variables.
4a) who sets it,
BT
4b) can you get them to "up" it?
Not without crossing their palm with silver

My motivation
==============
I have a box from plusnet that talks to the internet. Inside that box it has values that determine the quality of reception. That quality then determines the ability to connect to the internet and the speed (my first mention of the word) it does so.
Example values from the Thomson router from Plusnet were:
output Power 17.5 dBm 11.5 dBm;
line Attenuation 57.0 dB, 31.0 dB;
snr Margin 6.5 dB, 20.0 dB

I am trying to establish if those are "good" values or not. If not, is there anything I can do to improve them, in particular for stability.
My service from Plusnet is currently experiencing router reboots which results in 100% drop-out roughly 10mins on, 2 mins off. This makes even pure surfing a painful game of snakes and ladders. Forget streaming, downloading, gaming, VOIPing. This explains my attitude to your pre-occupation with speed. I know 99% of the calls are probably from kids moaning about ping rates, iPlayer hiccups or "how dare you give me less than 4MBit/s". You have my sympathies for that.
This is a case of severe disruption of service and sheer un-usability. Unfortunately this started late November. So far I've had the following excuses:
1) it's your phone
2) it's your line (twice)
3) it's the data cap you've applied (twice)
4) it's the router over-heating

Bizarrely, it stops bouncing like Tigger on Sunny Delight during the early morning, from 3am. It lasts till about 11am, then off it goes bouncing all day. Just to add more mystery it worked fine for 2 whole days, 14 and 15th this month before deciding to revert to Tigger-mode on the 16th... Cry

The official trouble-ticket for this is now in BT's hands since 07:00 17th Dec.
I have also managed to get to the ticket info which has the following:
Spoke to SMC Sonya to change to DCN
The next action on your Contact Us Ticket is due on Sunday 20th December at 1:00am. This ticket will remain
open with the BOT - DSL Logged Faults - No Syn until this time.
Translation please!
Sooooooooooooo, anyone like to educate me and/or get this fixed?
Mike
Crazy
scootie
Grafter

2) what causes SNR margin to change?
BT automates the SNR margin at the exchange. I don't know how.

Dynamic line mangment (DLM)
if say your line drops 10 times in an hour the DLM will increase your Noise margin (the snr your line syncs at) there is 6,9,12,15db for the DLM to pick from and on 20cn max dsl it will raise to the next level till it finds one your line can stay stable at.
it also monitors error rates, eorred seconds (ES) , Header Error Checksum  (HEC), forward error correction (FEC) and if it finds these to be to high for a given time period it will also up your noise margin
if you have a read from here onwards http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,75667.msg664500.html#msg664500 you may get an idea how the DLM acts in real life, this is the 21cn adsl2+ DLM which acts quicker and uses things called banded profiles hence why my noise margin would jump from 9db to 15db.
so info on the 21cn adsl2+ diffrence in DLM http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/dynamic-line-management-dlm-on-adsl2/
drmiket
Grafter

Thanks for the links Asbo-dog. Seems my hunch was right about BT being overly aggressive with their settings (DLM screwing up lines "because they can").
Look at the router stat pics. Any ideas why the DLM would cause this?? FYI from June to Nov my line was fine, if slow (2MBit/s). Then the trouble started and when I looked into it all, noise margin was 6dB. It stayed there for a day or 2 then upped to 9 then about 3 weeks later it jumped to 12 and then 15dB very quickly. Trouble is it's still broken. I noticed the ticket mentions 96% up-time. That's not something to be proud of. Rather like BA boasting their planes stay flying 96% of the time.
Welcome to my world.
Someone please help!

thanks
Mike
ps: how DO you tweak the SNR at your end? I have Router Stat and DLM. They both look pretty but I don't know how to use them  Cheesy
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I presume you meant DMT not DLM, and with those problems you don't want to go "tweaking". I'm surprised the uptime is 96% looking at those drops and resyncs. Out of curiosity what did the ticket say exactly? (make sure you remove any agents' names i.a.w. forum rules).
Two things to do here that will help us to know what we are dealing with -
1) What modem/router are you using? and please post the currents ADSL line stats (Downstream & Upstream) - that's Sync/connection rate, Attenuation, Noise Margin (SNRM) & Power - see http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php if you need help to get them
2) Listen to your phone line - can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other intermittent noises?
drmiket
Grafter

Yes I meant DMT. I suppose it's 96 up because it only drops for about 2 mins but very frequently.
The ticket says "This circuit is up for an average 96.0% of the time." and
"Initializations 0 9 21 Multiple Multiple There have been a large amount of initializations on the line during almost all parts of the day. This behaviour happens on most of the days during the analysis period."
The router is a Thomson TG585 v7.
Stats:
Info 00:01:24 (since last boot)
xDSL linestate up ITU-T G.992.1;
downstream: 1568 kbit/s, upstream: 448 kbit/s;
output Power Down: 16.5 dBm, Up: 11.5 dBm;
line Attenuation Down: 56.0 dB, Up: 30.0 dB;
snr Margin Down: 15.5 dB, Up: 21.0 dB
Since I have been checking at the start of this saga the down speed has changed a bit, and snr margin stepped up slowly from 6. i.e. it was 6 for quite a while, then 9 for another week before going to 12 and 15 in quick succession.
As for (2) No. It's a new house so new everything including OpenReach Master socket. If you look at the noise graph it is extremely clean. Asbo Dog's link has graphs of noise I would expect to see. i.e. rough as a badger's...

It appears they have decided it is less trouble to just swap me over to a different network (21CN) instead. That's the good news (I hope).

The bad news is it will take 5 weeks. Hint: I don't intend waiting 5 weeks.
On top of that they've said this:
"It may be advisable to upgrade the firmware on your router ahead of the upgrade, to ensure you receive maximum benefit from the service. Your particular router’s manufacturer’s website should be able to help you with this." with a link to Thomson's homepage.
That's like the council sending a letter that they are re-surfacing the roads but advising people to upgrade their car's electronic suspension software and giving a link to BMW's homepage.
I am seriously unimpressed.
They ALSO advise checking:
Check that the following technical settings are correctly configured:
Data Circuit Information: VPI = 0 (Virtual Path Identifier)
VCI = 38 (Virtual Channel Identifier)
Data Link Encapsulation: PPPoA
PPP Properties: VC Multiplexed
Where, pray, do I find this information? The system config tells me the time server and "Service Name: Routed PPPoA on 0/38" whatever that means.
Answers on a postcard please to:
Get my broadband working appeal
London
My house
GB01 IP0
Mike
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Like the Postcode  Wink
So, no suggestions on the ticket about what to try Roll_eyes
I guess you have noticed if the drops coincided with use of the phone.
Just to check all the bases,  I'm sorry if you've been asked any of this, or tried it all, I don't have access to anything other than your posts here -
I presume you've had a listen to your phone line - can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other intermittent noise on the line? Dial a 1 to get rid of the dial tone. If you need more time before the NUT (number unobtainable tone) dial the quiet line test 17070 option 2. (Don't use any ringback or other test). Who is your Telephone Line Rental provider?
Also could you give an Outline description of your installation -
1) Have you tested in the "test" socket behind the Master front plate?
2) Whether you have any fixed extension wiring and sockets & how many, do you know roughly how the cables go from one to another;
3) What filters do you have and where is the Modem/Router plugged in?
4) Do you have a corded phone, do you have a cordless phone - if so what type - DECT or Analogue?
5) Is any other POTS (plain old telephone service) equipment (Faxes, Answer phones, Sky boxes or Alarms systems etc) plugged in/connected.
One tip: When you need to swap things around for testing, powerdown your modem/router and wait several minutes before unplugging anything that disconnects it from the line eg. it's cable, the filter, master faceplate etc. Don't do this more than 5 times in an hour, and then leave it alone for the rest of the day. This is to help prevent the exchange DLM from thinking you have a more serious intermittent problem.
Do you have access to another modem/router (and a filter you haven't tried)?
drmiket
Grafter

Hi Anotherone,
Apologies for the delay. Xmas and worse drop-outs than normal have prevented me getting back online.
I guess you have noticed if the drops coincided with use of the phone.
Yes it has no correlation with phone calls at all.
I presume you've had a listen to your phone line - can you hear/have you heard any crackling or other intermittent noise on the line? Dial a 1 to get rid of the dial tone. If you need more time before the NUT (number unobtainable tone) dial the quiet line test 17070 option 2. (Don't use any ringback or other test).
I've done that very early after reading another post of yours. It's clear as bell. It's a brand new house on a brand new street so I'd hope it was!

Who is your Telephone Line Rental provider?
BT
Also could you give an Outline description of your installation -
1) Have you tested in the "test" socket behind the Master front plate?
Yes - it's plugged in there now
2) Whether you have any fixed extension wiring and sockets & how many, do you know roughly how the cables go from one to another;
Yes - there are 2 internal in-built  sockets but I don't use them and (1) isolates them anyway
3) What filters do you have and where is the Modem/Router plugged in?
just one BT approved in the test socket. The router is plugged into it alongwith the a VOIP base-station. I have tried disconnecting the phone for a whole day too. No difference.
4) Do you have a corded phone, do you have a cordless phone - if so what type - DECT or Analogue?
It's a Siemens Gigaset VOIP phone, so DECT.
5) Is any other POTS (plain old telephone service) equipment (Faxes, Answer phones, Sky boxes or Alarms systems etc) plugged in/connected.
None at all
The tip not to unplug things more than 5 times in an hour ironic in this case as it reboots itself 100s of times a day so the DLM has indeed jacked my profile up to 15dB despite the true noise being fine. The routerstat graph is very clean compared to other people's here and they are having nothing like the problems I'm having here.
I don't have another router I can test - I have no friends (sic) and family are too far away. PN *have* sent me a 2nd Thomson box but it also made no difference at all. I have tried 3 filters - the 2 that came with the PN router and one I bought, which is stamped BT approved.
Finally the socket is an Openreach branded one, so has the plastic lump hiding the inductor that disables the ring wire. i.e. it's got the BT Accelerator aka iPlate built in. At least that's what I've read it is and does.
One last point: owing to all the above checks I think I've more than proved it cannot possibly be anything inside the house, so have refused any BT home visit on the logic that - they won't find a problem at this end AND won't turn up when it's not working either so all that will happen is I get nothing fixed and a bill for 175 quid. A nice little earner BT.
thanks for your efforts by the way. I am hoping you know some magic secret to end this craziness.
Mike
pierre_pierre
Grafter

One last point: owing to all the above checks I think I've more than proved it cannot possibly be anything inside the house, so have refused any BT home visit on the logic that - they won't find a problem at this end AND won't turn up when it's not working either so all that will happen is I get nothing fixed and a bill for 175 quid. A nice little earner BT.

how the heck do you think they will test the line from you to the exchange then Crazy
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If you have an incoming call and let it ring quite a few times, does the broadband seem to stay connected for longer after that?
Edit: When you said the 2nd Thomson gave no improvement did you mean that it gave no better speeds or was it that you were getting just as many disconnections/reboots? And when you say reboots do you mean unprompted complete reboots of the router?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
drmiket
Grafter

@pierre - PN say that BT have already tested the line remotely, albeit from them to me. They can test some things the same way they did when the line went live. They arranged an appointment and then never turned up because they flipped a switch their end (or something).
£175 is an outrageous amount whatever way you look at it. Since I don't trust them I don't want to give then hint of an opportunity. They are superb at taking money. Like billing me for their BT answer service that I don't want, didn't ask for and don't need because I have one already. Hence I am sceptical that if I get them to test the return loop (me to them), they will find no fault either because there is none or it's not happening at the time they arrive so have nothing to see. This leaves me with a massive bill and BB that's still Pete Tong'ed.
@jelv - incoming calls have no effect. This phenoma occurs in phases. The RouterStat graph is a square wave once it starts, and this lasts for about 8 hours.
Example
Monday  00:00 - 10:00 fine
                10:00 - 18:30 up 1 min/down 1 min, repeat
                22:30 - 23:40 fine
                23:40 - 00:00 up 5 mins/ down 1
Tues      00:00 - 06:30 up 7.5 mins/ down 1
                06:30- 11:00 fine
If I had my laptop I could paste the graphs from RouterStat but don't right now.
Seeing the pattern and it occurs in the middle of the night some days I think phone calls knocking/interfering the router off are ruled out.
As for the router, when this goes into bounce mode ALL router lights go off. i.e. the router reboots and does a warm boot.
The only extra info I have is say it's stuck in a 5min up/1 min down cycle, IF I attempt to open a webpage it drops/forces reboot immediately as if a very aggressive data cap is in place and reboots the router remotely on the grounds "that's enough surfing for you sonny boy".
I have tried a direct wired connection but that makes no difference. I did read someone suggesting to turn off UPnP but haven't tried that. It would disable XBox extender wouldn't it (not that I can use it in the current state but I'd like to one day!).
It seems it has got the attention of Mand who has admitted the connection is "ridiculously unstable" but the only option offered is BT home visit. As it's a brand new house on a new estate with new cables and new master socket and crystal clear line (on the 17070 test) methinks not. I think there are other options PN can arrange...

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

That's sounding like a hardware problem with the router. Is it overheating? It might be worth pointing a fan at it to see if keeping it cooler stops the reboots.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)