Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your Browser homepage?

Ianwild
Grafter

Re: What's your Browser homepage?

Quote from: lowry
At the moment as I crawled back from Firebox to IE7 when it launched, I'm not set up up with various tabs again yet (will do soon though). Although I use Bebo alot, and facebook a bit. BBC.co.uk is my dull homepage at the moment though - I'll set up my tabs again soon! Smiley

If any of you lot are on Facebook, I thought setting up a PlusNet customers facebook group might be interesting, so I did - Feel free to join it!
Ian
millimole
Dabbler

I want to ask the same question of you, the customer; how many of these names are you familiar with?
Bebo
Facebook
Last.fm
Digg
Techcrunch
Engadget
Flickr
Joost
Del.icio.us
I've heard of all of the above, but never used them.
Linkedin
PirateBay
Newzbin
Techcrunch
Twitter
Never heard of the above
Blogger - I've got a little used blog on here
Stumbleupon - fpr those dull days when inspiration is called for
YouTube - watching videos linked from uk.rec.cycling

Do you understand what these words mean?
Mainly - "for people with too much time on their hands!"
Web 2.0 - 'interactivity'
Mashup - teatime?
Blogging - writing an internet diary
RSS - news feeds
AJAX - design your own content on a web page
Web Services - errr - web services?
API - Didn't they own a TV channel in the 70's?
Crowdsourcing - football?
Social Bookmarking - Gambling?
I suspect I've just failed this exam!
So, going back to what I said right at the top, what's your browser homepage?
Gmail at home
The corporate intranet page at work + pageflakes + iGoogle (which are technically prohibited under our Stalinist IT rules)
lowry
Grafter

If any of you lot are on Facebook, I thought setting up a PlusNet customers facebook group might be interesting, so I did - Feel free to join it!

Ah! Nice idea Smiley - will pop by there tomorrow when I have 4 months free time after my exams finish ;)...
gloating is great.
SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

Bebo    - yes don't use it
Facebook - yes don't use it
Last.fm - yes, used it, stopped using it, didn't actually find it "useful"
Digg - yes, sometimes use it
Techcrunch - no
Linkedin - yes, don't use it
Engadget - no
PirateBay - yes, don't use it
Newzbin - no
Blogger - yes, use other blogging systems
Stumbleupon - yes, don't use it
Flickr - yes, have an account
Joost - yes, don't use it
YouTube - yes, don't use it. Frankly am sick and fed up of forums simply becoming a dumping ground for posts with nothing but a Youtube URL in it.
Techcrunch - yes, don't use it
Twitter - yes, sort of use it.. find it annoying slow to link into
Del.icio.us - yes, use it sometimes
Web 2.0 - yes
Mashup - yes and have done some GoogleMap mashups
Blogging - yes
RSS - yes
AJAX - yes
Web Services - yes
API - yes
Crowdsourcing - sort of
Social Bookmarking - yes
Home Page - I have it set to blank Wink
pdavidson
Grafter

Quote from: SteveA
Blogger - yes, use other blogging systems

Which ones do you use? Blogging confuses me, there are too many sites and ways to do it so I end up not doing it at all. Perhaps I should do one on here, how excited you'd all be to read the blog of a Business Analyst Wink
Mashup - yes and have done some GoogleMap mashups

Anything you can show us?
SteveA
Pro

Quote from: Paula

Which ones do you use? Blogging confuses me, there are too many sites and ways to do it so I end up not doing it at all. Perhaps I should do one on here, how excited you'd all be to read the blog of a Business Analyst Wink

Well there is Livejournal, and Wordpress (I'm playing round with WordPress MU at the moment)

Anything you can show us?

Well there is the "pubnight" wiki which integrates Googlemaps with data pulled back from related pages within the wiki and presents that as a new page. 
Here's Pubnight's page for Cheltenham
http://www.pubnight.org.uk/Cheltenham
Which uses wiki extensions to determine which pubs in the wiki are in Cheltenham, gets their names, lat and long and creates a map with a set of links on it ...
Its a mashup in the original sense of the word - things have moved on a bit since then but..

pdavidson
Grafter

Well there is the "pubnight" wiki which integrates Googlemaps with data pulled back from related pages within the wiki and presents that as a new page. 
Here's Pubnight's page for Cheltenham
http://www.pubnight.org.uk/Cheltenham
Which uses wiki extensions to determine which pubs in the wiki are in Cheltenham, gets their names, lat and long and creates a map with a set of links on it ...
Its a mashup in the original sense of the word - things have moved on a bit since then but..

That's brilliant......and that there is a LOT of pubs! Could you (technically) do a mashup of the locations of plusnet staff? and/or forum users?
Could we add something on here where you could volunteer your location (and choose to be included or not) which shows a map of where you are and your forum status (as per the colour markers that show staff/mods/etc)?
Also, some way of filtering location to view locations of staff/mods/registered users, rather than the whole lot at once.....
That would be cool!
SteveA, I challenge you. Pleeeeeease! Wink
pdavidson
Grafter

Also...am I right in saying that wordpressMU is a blog for multiple users that don't have a company website (and policy) that allows them to blog their innermost thoughts with only the threat of a slight whipping for inappropriate behaviour and posting*?

*I've never actually been offered threatened with a whipping, I was just kidding Wink
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

this community site is running Mu. Cheesy
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
pdavidson
Grafter

Really? It's a good job I'm not supposed to know that detail really  Grin
SteveA
Pro

That's brilliant......and that there is a LOT of pubs! Could you (technically) do a mashup of the locations of plusnet staff? and/or forum users?
Could we add something on here where you could volunteer your location (and choose to be included or not) which shows a map of where you are and your forum status (as per the colour markers that show staff/mods/etc)?
Also, some way of filtering location to view locations of staff/mods/registered users, rather than the whole lot at once.....
That would be cool!
SteveA, I challenge you. Pleeeeeease! Wink

You can mash up anything  - if the profiles contained the information then it can be mashed.
I'd love to do it but I'm currrently working on trying to do a mash up between googlemaps, a wordpress MU installation and CanalPlan AC (my brothers website which also includes mashups).
pdavidson
Grafter

You can mash up anything  - if the profiles contained the information then it can be mashed.
I'd love to do it but I'm currrently working on trying to do a mash up between googlemaps, a wordpress MU installation and CanalPlan AC (my brothers website which also includes mashups).

Awwww Sad
Let me know when you're done with that, I'd really like to see an attempt at this if you (or someone else) is willing to take it on.
I want to zoom into a map and see how many PlusNet customers share my local pub with me Cheesy
Dalvado
Dabbler

Homepage - iGoogle
I want to ask the same question of you, the customer; how many of these names are you familiar with?
Bebo - No
Facebook - Yes, but don't use.
Last.fm - Yes, but don't use
Digg - Yes. I read it but don't contribute much to it
Techcrunch - Aware of but never used
Linkedin - No
Engadget - Yes, I read it every day.
PirateBay - Yes, but you never saw me on it, right guv'nor?
Newzbin - No
Blogger - Yes, but never used it.
Stumbleupon - Aware of but not tried yet
Flickr - Yes. I have an account and use it occasionally.
Joost - Yes.
YouTube - Yes but only watched videos never posted
Twitter - Yes, but never used it
Del.icio.us - Aware of but never used
Web 2.0 - Yes
Mashup - Yes
Blogging - Yes
RSS - Yes
AJAX - Yep
Web Services - Kind of
API - Yep
Crowdsourcing - Got me on this one.
Social Bookmarking - Yes.
pdavidson
Grafter

Crowd sourcing is what's happening here. We're all giving our input and hopefully all learning something new. It's very clever when it gets a bit deeper than this. Remind me later to tell you (on live or phone) about something Google were either planning or did (not sure which). You'll be impressed.
I haven't got the link from home but there was a video relating to it. If I find it I'll post up on here Smiley
Buzzons

tbh, all that stuff can be answered quite easily with
a) my homepage www.google.co.uk
and
b) http://www.wikipedia.org/

Wink
But as for all that stuff, I know what it all is, I even work with some of it (AJAX and the like) but 90% of it is rubbishy "web2.0" rubbish.. god I hate most if so much!