ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

What's wrong with this line?

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 287 Kbps 1079 Kbps
Line Attenuation 39.5 dB 20.8 dB
Noise Margin 9.7 dB 5.8 dB
This is after a phone fault which took out the telephone for 2 weeks.  Now sync rate is abysmal.  Connected to test socket via new filter with no other telephony equipment connected.  Must be some sort of restriction triggered by the fault.
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: What's wrong with this line?

That's quite off, a diagnostic test that I've just performed shows me the sync rate is 10859kbps. Before I saw that I was thinking along the same lines as yourself.
I can see an active connection of over 24 hours in duration at the moment so I'd restart the router in order to disconnect/reconnect.
Let me know if there's still an issue beyond that.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

For clarity - is this the line linked to the Forum Account
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Good point Jim, let us know which account that relates to RR as there's no phone service on the account your forum username links to.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Well spotted, Jim, not my account but one belonging to someone at the other end of the village.  My own line is fine, thanks.  It had held sync for around 850 hours until we had a power outage on Wednesday evening.
Back to the case in point, I was typing the message with one hand whilst on hold waiting to talk to Plusnet Tech. Support.  When I eventually got through, the tech. support guy reckoned the profile had been banded.  I guess I should have spotted that because the sync rate is right at the top of the lowest band ( http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_terminology.shtml#bandedProfiles ).  I was told that the line should un-band itself after 3 days of stability; in which case the clock should have started at about the time I posted originally.  Is that really true or do I need to ask Plusnet to intervene?  Also, the downstream SNR was only about 9 dB.  What's the point of banding if it does not give rise to an enormous SNR?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

As I don't have the details for the account I can't clarify is this has been removed yet. With your profile un-banding itself after 72 hours this is very unlikely to happen and will probably require a intervention by us.
If you can PM me the details I'd be happy to take a look.