cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What router to use

numpty

What router to use

Hi
    can anyone recommend an alternative router to the Technicolor that was suplied by Plusnet. This was causing many connection problems so I went back to my old D-Link which works fine but is 7 years old and could conk out at anytime.
                                                                                              regards Numpty    Huh
19 REPLIES 19
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: What router to use

welcome to the forums numpty Smiley
what are you looking for in a router?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

If you're happy with the old D-Link, why not look at a newer version of the same?  Amazon is a fairly good place to start.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
St3
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

stay away from d-link they are cheap and nasty Smiley i use one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-Wireless-N-Router-Modem-connections/dp/B003FS40KU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8... they are spot on Smiley
numpty

Hi
many thanks for your replies and I will have a look into the one you recommend  and let you know how I got on.
                                Kind regards  Numpty
gswindale
Grafter

Quote from: ukste20
stay away from d-link they are cheap and nasty Smiley i use one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-Wireless-N-Router-Modem-connections/dp/B003FS40KU/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8... they are spot on Smiley

Just out of interest; how long have you had that router?
We purchased one in early June & had to have it replaced in Nov due to extremely frequent reboots making it unusable.  So far the replacement seems ok but will reserve judgement for a while!
numpty

Had the D-Link 6 years and it is only just starting to creak so I want to replace it before it goes belly up.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

This was causing many connection problems

Sorry to hear that,
What problems were you having, I'm just wondering if you have any feedback for us about it?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
numpty

Hi Adam
                my probs started with the suplied Technicolor router after several phone calls was asked to try my old router to se if this solved my conection probs. It did and has been solid for the last 3 or so weeks .The reason I asked for a router that anyone could recommend was the fact that the D-Link is over 6 years old and is not so hot in the wireless department and could fail from old age.
                                              Regards Numpty
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Are you on 20CN or 21CN?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
dfunked
Grafter

@ukste20
Funnily enough, I'd advise the same thing to anybody considering Netgear equipment (cheap and nasty)
I've had no end of problems with the 2 netgear routers I've used in the past (supplied by ISPs), and have a dead Netgear 24 port switch in work + another 4 port one that's causing a ridiculous amount of problems considering the miniscule amount of use it has.
w23
Pro

Most of the (larger, at least) manufacturers have good and bad models, these days IMHO if you pay a reasonable price you should expect reasonable equipment (check the reviews on any you are considering).
Both D-Link and Netgear get mostly good rewiews for kit in the £50 bracket for example but do check specific models.
What's your budget, different manufacturers would likely be 'better' in different price brackets?
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Quote from: dfunked
Funnily enough, I'd advise the same thing to anybody considering Netgear equipment (cheap and nasty)

I bought a Netgear DG832v1 in January 2004 - it's still going strong.
I bought a Netgear DS104 10/100 hub (in a blue metal case) some time before that - still going strong. Only issue I have with this is that if you drop it (as I have) it damages the floor.
I have a Netgear WG602 WAP I bought in April 2005 - still going strong.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
davidj66
Aspiring Pro

I was sent an open box D-Link router FOC when I joined Plusnet because the then standard router (Voyager??) never arrived. It lasted almost exactly 2 years...then died totally!
I've had a  cheap Buffalo G router for ~ 8 years (which I bought to replace rubbish HORRANGE router) ...still going strong,so you pays your money..............
w23
Pro

Are Buffalo still going?
I had one years ago (router only, no modem), still works, Father-in-law has one (model with modem) still going after many years (it's the only wi-fi ADSL modem/router he's ever had).
I have to agree about the Netgear DS104 hub, very solid but not a router.
Call me 'w23'