Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What router comes with plusnet?

w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: What router comes with plusnet?

Quote from: flaminmoses
a question regarding the HG612 modem....
...could it be that this modem isnt set proeprly to handle the higher speeds???

No, the HG612 is more than capable of 80/20 speeds (unless faulty), the 40/10 (or 40/2) services are purely a cap on the sync speeds, if your line is capable of more (up to the 80/20 max) then it will work at the higher speed.
One possibility is that a higher sync speed is causing more errors but the DLM should automatically adjust to reduce errors to an acceptable level (may take some time).
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
laburnum5
Grafter

hello. BT's boradband deal was very tempting because of their BT hub router with 'smart' wireless technology. But is it really that good? surely all wireless-N routers are pretty good now days (ie. the Technicolor TG582n)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You haven't been reading round these forums much if you think the TG582's wireless N capability is good!
I suggest it could politely be described as basic!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
DougChandler
Dabbler

Quote from: Bob
Quote from: DougChandler
When are PlusNet likely to supply a VDSL (fibre) modem router like they do for ADSL (broadband)?

If/when the product becomes self install. ADSL was similar in it's early days in that installations were carried out by BT engineers.
Quote from: DougChandler
There would be no need for an engineer to visit if they supplied a modem router.

You'd need to sort the filtering out yourself. Openreach engineers install a fitted faceplate as well as supplying the VDSL modem.

OK, think I will wait until this becomes a self-install as I don't *need* fibre yet, just attractive, but I'll save myself a tenner a month and not get it until it comes with a modem router...
laburnum5
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
You haven't been reading round these forums much if you think the TG582's wireless N capability is good!
I suggest it could politely be described as basic!

ok but for a small flat with thin walls should it be ok?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Might or might not be - some people have reported poor speeds even with the laptop sat beside the router. I suspect it is susceptible to poor performance with particular wireless adapters on the PC.
laburnum5
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Might or might not be - some people have reported poor speeds even with the laptop sat beside the router. I suspect it is susceptible to poor performance with particular wireless adapters on the PC.

yes. maybe a problem with G adapters connecting to the N router. anything above 5Mbps im fine with me though. (expected speed is going to be 17Mbps when i get the broadband active!)
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Worse than that - some N adapters get far better speeds when connected to something like a HomeHub.
flaminmoses
Grafter

Quote from: w23
Quote from: flaminmoses
a question regarding the HG612 modem....
...could it be that this modem isnt set proeprly to handle the higher speeds???

No, the HG612 is more than capable of 80/20 speeds (unless faulty), the 40/10 (or 40/2) services are purely a cap on the sync speeds, if your line is capable of more (up to the 80/20 max) then it will work at the higher speed.
One possibility is that a higher sync speed is causing more errors but the DLM should automatically adjust to reduce errors to an acceptable level (may take some time).

thanks.
how long do these errors take to iron out?
im getting the speed no problem but online gameing is defo not as good as with the lesser package.
ive changed router so i know its not that.
ive even updated my cabling from the faceplate to the modem.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

What games are you seeing the problems with?  What's product change have you done?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager