cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is interleaving?

Addnan
Grafter

What is interleaving?

Should I have it on or off? How does it affect my connection?
9 REPLIES 9
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: What is interleaving?

Interleaving is error correction. It's best left on if you have a long or noisy line as it improves stability. The upshot is that it increases ping times, so it's not ideal for gamers. Just depends how you use the connection really, though for the majority of people (i.e. those who aren't gamers ;)) we recommend leaving it on.
Hope that helps,
Addnan
Grafter

I am quite a die hard gamer, so can I have it switched off please. And if there is any problems it can just be turned on by a staff right?
scootie
Grafter

yes thats right, it tends to take 1 working day for each request to be put live and normaly gets switched on/off at bout 2am by BTw.
whats your line stats? and we can advise how well your line should run on fastpath, if you can find the error rate stats as well that will give a better idea how well your line will cope on fastpath.
guide here on how to find the stats on your router http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php
if you go to the help assistant in the member centre you will find a max dsl interleaving ticket to request interleaving be turned off, thats if matt hasnt all ready raised one for you
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: Addnan
I am quite a die hard gamer, so can I have it switched off please

It's already switched off.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I haven't raised one yet, as I think it'd be a good idea to check the line - after a quick check I can see you've a profile of 5500 and very few errors so I'd say it would be worth switching...
...if you hadn't been on fastpath since, well, as long as this screen of information on the BT site reports.
So, Addnan - apparently interleaving is already off Smiley
EDIT: as Bob says.
Addnan
Grafter

Never knew that. I thought we have to ask for it to be turned off.
scootie
Grafter

its set to auto as the default option which in most cases means interleaving on (but dosent seem to be in your case)
would it be a good idea to put the request in to insure the DLM dosent in its werid wizdom switch to interleaving on why its in auto mode
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I'd guess you were on fastpath with sky, so when we migrated you across it was done on a like for like basis.
@ASBO - I suspect it'll be alright and stay on opt-out to be honest.
scootie
Grafter

I'd guess you were on fastpath with sky, so when we migrated you across it was done on a like for like basis.

never knew you was so proactaive like that, unless jameseh placed the order.
did think it would be strange for the dlm to run on fastpath if it was set to auto mode