Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What if I cancelled.....

home99
Grafter

What if I cancelled.....

Hi folks,
I received a free domain from PN back when we went through the debacle of being spammed to death - now what if I cancelled PN and signed up with another ISP?  How would I redirect the domain email address from PN to a.n.other? Is the domain registered to me for life?
Only a theoretical question at the moment but long standing issues with my speed (very long story) are driving me, reluctantly, to cable.
Appreciate your advice
Kind regards
Dave
10 REPLIES 10
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: What if I cancelled.....

If you did unfortunately decide to leave, then you could transfer your domain to another hosting/registration company by updating the IPS TAG of the domain, this would move it across for them to look after.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
home99
Grafter

Thanks for the reply Chris,
How would I go about updating the IPS TAG of the domain - would this action be done by the User or PN or the new ISP?
Dave
James
Grafter

Dave,
Our call centre would be able to do this for you.  Just raise a ticket on your account or give us a call.
Lurker
Grafter

Presumably any future renewals would have to be made by the OP at his cost too.
home99
Grafter

You read my mind  Wink
adie:quote
Lurker
Grafter

Which is fair I suppose, PN only gave us the free domains because of a mistake they made, which exposed the domains they'd already given us to excessive spam.
Since as a non-customer you would surrender your username based subdomain (username.plus.com), it stands to reason you would also surrender a free replacement for that name.
But the plus [sic] side is, you can transfer out the domain and pay to maintain it should you wish.
So you are still better off that you would have been, all through a mistake they made many moons ago. Huh
home99
Grafter

Thanks James - that sounds fair.  So how do I find out who 'holds' my domain name and conseqeuntly who I will paying to keep the domain (and also what the costs are?) 
Dave
mal0z
Grafter

look it up on the who is box on Nominet
http://www.nominet.org.uk/
James
Grafter

Dave - It'll be whoever you're transferring the ipstag to.
They will be the registrar of the domain name.
home99
Grafter

Yep - understood.
Many thanks
Dave