cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happens if I plug my telephone into an unfiltered socket?

Brian
Grafter

What happens if I plug my telephone into an unfiltered socket?

I've just got broadband. I've filtered my telephone line/ADSL line. All's well.
But I still have spare sockets on my BT socket box. What would happen if I connected a phone to an unfiltered socket? Would the phone work? Would the incoming data fry my telephone? Or what?
I know all lines 'should be' filtered, but I like to know my boundaries!
Thanks.
6 REPLIES 6
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: What happens if I plug my telephone into an unfiltered socket?

At the very least, your broadband connection speed will suffer.  (drop from maybe 6Meg to 256k)
You may also suffer broadband disconnections if the phone rings, or you make outgoing calls, and you would hear slightly faint "modem-like" noise on the phone when you use it.
At worst, you would be disconnected from the internet permanently until you unplugged the phone.
Barry
Brian
Grafter

Thanks guys.
Sounds scarey enough not to try it!
Further observations still welcome....
Nick_Russell
Grafter

As far as I know you only MAY suffer a broadband problem if you are using a phone and broadband at the same time.
I would agree with others that you should get the best filterers available. An example here...
http://www.clarity.it/xcart/product.php?productid=16159&cat=265&page=1
mar7t1n
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

You can use either phone OR broadband on an unfiltered line but not both. In actual fact if there's a fault they often say try just your broadband without the filter to proove it's not your filter (if you've got an adaptor) . But as stated above, never use an unfiltered phone while broadband is on. Or you risk being stuck at 128kbps for 3 days. Even the ringing can affect it. But if your broadband router is off and you just need to plug a phone in to make a quick call then you'll be fine.
http://www.adslnation.com/ do a good line in quality filters. £12 for a master socket adaptor. You can get away with lower quality filters on the phone especially if you dont use the phone that much when your broadband equipment is on.
secondhandrose

Hi there,
I do use a microfilter but, whenever possible, I avoid making calls when the router is on as I do have a lot of noise on the line (only audible to me - not the other party). I can only assume this is because I have a cordless phone - am I right?Huh
Anyway, I only have the router on when I (or the children) am/are online, partly to save electricity and partly because I don't want my neighbours to know my business!!
Am very much enjoying being online with PN and find that a lack of tech knowledge and a comparatively elderly Mac have been cheerfully accommodated by all concerned!! would add a smiley if I knew how to do it...
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Just click one of the faces just above where you type and it will be inserted where the cursor is as 2 characters.
If then then click on Preview you can see what it actually looks like before posting.