Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened?

SteveA
Pro
Fixes: 3

What happened?

I lost everything inside Plusnet. Luckily I use OpenDNS because I think I'd have lost everything. OpenDNS reported that the force9 dns servers were not responding.
I guess something went seriously wrong somewhere
27 REPLIES 27
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: What happened?

This was from Twitter this morning..
@plusnet: We're having problems at the moment folks, Sheffield-based services are currently down - Portals, Email, Community, FTP, Homepages etc.

I noticed it had gone on my phone first so knew it wasn't my connection and using OpenDNS too still had access to other sites  Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Lurker
Grafter

They were doing some routing maintenance this morning, perhaps that went a little shiny side down.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

One of the Sheffield data centres had an outage this morning, we're bringing things back online and a service status is on the way.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Service status now here:
http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/1244620808.htm
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
StickyMick
Grafter

You sure it was an "outage" and not an "outing"? Tongue
Noticed it down at around 7:30 when I couldn't get emails on my mobile. Madasakipper homepage is back again, but webmail is still flakey.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

We've been posting updates on Twitter since about 7.30am.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

SteveA
Pro

But the problem with that Bob is that the PN DNS servers were not working. I tried them and got nothing back. So if I had been relying on them posting things onto Twitter wouldn't really have helped.
But I supposed I can book mark it on my G1
coastergrotto
Grafter

I was going to ring up to see what the problem was as I had lost email and connection to the Plusnet portal since around 7.30am this morning, but I thought I would be in a long queue, so decided against it.      Didn't know anything about Twitter, so I was completely in the dark.     I could get the Service Status page but, at that time there was no mention of the situation.
Decided to go and have a long bath and then, after that,  everything is back to normal,
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: SteveA
But the problem with that Bob is that the PN DNS servers were not working. I tried them and got nothing back. So if I had been relying on them posting things onto Twitter wouldn't really have helped.
There is a valuable lesson to be learned about using PNs DNS then...
www.opendns.com is your friend.
Use them *and* PN and you should more-or-less always get a response.
SteveA
Pro

I do James, I actually use dnsmasq on my local server with all the PN DNS servers and the Open DNS servers in the resolv.conf  so I usually do get a reply.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Opendns I read ages ago is a bit dodgy if you mistype a URL.
I switched to using http://treewalkdns.com/ a couple of years ago and have never had any DNS problems since.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Lurker
Grafter

OpenDNS does host advertising if you mistype a URL, but thats not necessarily such a huge thing for many.
Will investigate treewalk now!
paulby
Grafter

Opendns I read ages ago is a bit dodgy if you mistype a URL

It used to be a problem if you were using a VPN as requests for names on private networks would fail and a search page would be returned meaning locations on corporate networks would be inaccessible.  They've fixed this now - you need to enter your private domains in an exceptions list.  See here.
scootie
Grafter

i was online till 7am and use PN dns and didnt notice nutin wrong with the internet in genral didnt go near anything plusnet tho think iam using 49 an 50 servers
edit.
trying to log into member centre just keeps saying wrong username/ password