cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What happened at Midnight Lastnight?

Grff
Grafter

What happened at Midnight Lastnight?

Did anything in particular happen at midnight lastnight?
I was happily playing COD5 on the Xbox with a 3 bar connection, when I suddenly got lots of lag.  When I looked at my connection strength i'd gone down to a 1 bar connection strength.
When I looked at the clock, it was spot on midnight.  Surely that's no coincidence?
I dropped the xbox off, switched the laptop on and did some speed tests at speedtest.net, and was getting around 2mb download. Typically I've always gotten around the 3.5mb, upload was also way lower than normal.
My router was synced at 5mb, BT speedtester said my line was profiled at around 4.5 (If I remember correctly), yet throughput was around 200k.
I tried resetting the router and it made no difference. It still syncd at 5mb, but speeds were still attrocious.  Finally at about 12:45 I did another test and it was back up to what id' expect to see.
So, did anything in particular happen at midnight lastnight?

As a sidenote, is a speed of around 3.5mb right for a router sync'd at 5mb, with a profile around 4.5?
Cheers
Griff
3 REPLIES 3
James
Grafter

Re: What happened at Midnight Lastnight?

Hi Griff,
That speeds probably about right when you take into account overheads and contention.
Regarding the drop around midnight, I wouldn't have expected you to have noticed a massive change, but it could have something to do with rate limits being relaxed as well as download schedulers kicking in.  However, that shouldn't impact titanium gaming traffic.
Looking at the packet drop graphs, this doesn't seem to be apparent on our network as there don't appear to have been any gold drops.  I'd suggest keeping an eye on things tonight and see if the same thing happens again.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

You don't have any schedules such as torrent apps kicking in at midnight?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Grff
Grafter

Thanks for that James.  It's usually fine going from the evening into the morning with no noticeable difference, just last night.  Like i say it picked itself back up though around 45 mins later..  The 200k was the bit that threw me as downloading from sites I see over 400k, and usually get higher on the speed tests.  
Thanks.
Adiewoo, got nothing scheduled, only the Xbox was on. Smiley