cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What exactly are the capabilities of the PN FTTC router. PN details misleading

amcclean
Rising Star

What exactly are the capabilities of the PN FTTC router. PN details misleading

My router arrived today and I have concerns already having just opened the box.
At present I use 4 ethernet connections however it looks like one of the connections on the router is reserved for connecting to the modem. NOT HAPPY as I can't make any of  the 4 devices wireless. At no point was I advised the router would not have all 4 ports free for use.
The Plusnet facts about my package unlimited broadband fibre say:  "Wireless router included
Get our latest 4-port wireless-n technology router worth £40 (P&P £5.99)."
Furthermore the enclosed book talks of lights for lan 1 but says lan 2 not in use. What's going on?
Is the router supplied by PN only useful for 3 or less lan connections.
Do I now need to go and buy a new router to meet my needs?  I am very annoyed as the potential limitations of the router are not advised and infact going with the advertised text on the packages pages make you believe all 4 are eu use.  I would not have taken PN's router had I known I was going to have to buy my own.
I feel this is a bit of false advertising to which. Sure it has 4 physical ports but they cannot be all be used.
I trust I have in some way paid for this mis-sold router or will have to pay for it if i terminate my contract. Can I return it for a router that fulfils the advertised capabilities.
any help and suggestions appreciated.
podman
7 REPLIES 7
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

Re: What exactly are the capabilities of the PN FTTC router. PN details misleading

Instead of a new router, you could add a wired switch.
amcclean
Rising Star

Re: What exactly are the capabilities of the PN FTTC router. PN details misleading

My point is that it was advertised and still is advertised as a 4 port router. I bought according to their advertising. They have given supplied something which does not fit with the advert. There are 4 physical ports but they cannot be used. there is no caveat to advise of this limitation to the ports usage.  you don't buy a car with 4 wheels only to find three of them or less work. If it's advertised as 4 ports then 4 ports should be usable by the eu.
I should not have to buy a secondary piece of hardware because they mis advertised and I acted on trust.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

If you are forced to use this, you could get a 5 port switch very cheaply.
This would allow you to feed up to four connections into one router port!

At one time Plusnet supplied a Netgear 4 port + WAN port router.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

This issue has been raised before:
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,112293.0.html
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,107011.msg985507.html#msg985507
Possibly the advertising has recently been revised according to the last post.
amcclean
Rising Star

Would rather have my money back and a promise I won't be charged for it or they send for it to be returned and wipe out the charges.
I took up their offer for a 4 port router as advertised and I, like most people, assume that the ports are for use as such with no restrictions.
I don't what to have to power yet another device to fulfil something which the pn sites makes a big thing off.
amcclean
Rising Star

Cheers for the links. It appears the issue as raised before but has come back.
The current pages certainly do not hint at any restrictions nor do they have any asterix etc. to indicate small print. Looking at the date of the posts the changes may have been made to the previous site design and not this recent one.
The current site clearly only states Wireless router included
Get our latest 4-port wireless-n technology router worth £40 (P&P £5.99).
http://www.plus.net/home-broadband/broadband-only/
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

]Hi podman,
We have a task raised with our web team to get it sorted, but if you want to return it and get a refund for the postage and have the deferred contract removed we can get that done for you - just confirm you want to go ahead with that and I'll get it sorted.
ETA: Just wanted to reply to this bit:
Quote from: podman
Furthermore the enclosed book talks of lights for lan 1 but says lan 2 not in use. What's going on?

This will be referring to the modem rather than the router, though I appreciate this doesn't take away from the fact that there's only 3 usable ports on the router.