Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does this mean???

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: What does this mean???

Yes that's what I was thinking. I'm thinking either not in the test socket or router.
rena
Grafter

Hi Jojo, Sorry I've taken so long to get back to you on this but I had to wait until the contractor came out to check the wiring.  He came out this morning and said it is fine! So what happens now?  Basically the problem seems to be that when the router is in the test socket the speed goes up to 11k and when it's in the usual socket it's around 4k. The advertised speed for my postcode is 7k-17k, with an average of 12k. I also did the noise test you advised me to do (170??) and that was fine too. My children have also noticed a couple of disconnections recently, so you know what could have caused that? I have pasted today's stats, but I couldn't get bt speed test to work again!  Could you please tell me what you think of these stats and if it indicates anything wrong?  thanks
Today 13:30 5091 kbps (636kB/s) 379 kbps (47.4kB/s)

DSL Connection 
Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 0:08:15

DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A

Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 23,336 / 7,112

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 445 / 6,712

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 1.14 / 8.14

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 20.0

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 15.5 / 28.5

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 32.5 / 9.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 196,607 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 196,607 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1,074

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 12

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / NA

jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Are these stats from the test socket?
rena
Grafter

No, they are not.  They are from the 'normal' socket. I have previously had it in the test socket 3 times now for Plusnet and they just come back and say that there's nothing wrong so it must be the wiring. So I done as advised and got a professional to look at the wiring and they say there is nothing wrong.  I would just like to know why there is such a difference in speed while in the test socket and normal socket and what can be done to get this resolved. It not possible to keep it permanantly in the test socket because its right behind the door and there is also no electrical socket there and the faceplate would hang off with wires visible and I have kids. I just wish I understood technology so that I could understand what the actual problem is! Cry  I have a ticket outstanding but they seem to take a lot longer than you to reply, and i've given up trying to phone. I know it's the weekend so it will take longer.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Could the socket be faulty Undecided
If the internal wiring checks out ok and the test socket results are 'good'....process of elimination.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
rena
Grafter

Thanks for replying Strat  Smiley but I don't think it is. The sockets are brand new and were installed and connected by bt openreach  and I presume that the guy would have  noticed if there was something wrong when he was checking for probs. I've got no idea what's wrong due to my ignorance in the technical field  Cry
rena
Grafter

Re: 4.5mb Down / 0.1mb Up, why so slow upload?

Hi Jo, would it be possible to uncap my upload  too, to give it a try?  I don't really understand ps3 but my son says that sometimes he can't be 'host' either (whatever that means!).  He also has problems playing with one of his friends that lives 3 miles away - is that to do with the distance perhaps, as sometimes they lose conenction with each other, although he has no problem playing with his other friend that lives about 30 yards away.  I would like to add that if it causes problems with my download or connection or anything else I might have to ask you to change it back  Roll_eyes  thanks
rena
Grafter

I think, but I could be completely wrong (as usual!) that it got slower when things were changed at the same time like changing to ASDL2+, upgrading the flashware and changing something else to WPA (or something like that), but these were changed because I couldn't get or keep connectivity. Maybe I should just accept what i've got, which is usually speeds of 4000ish, which I can work with ?  But i'm upset because I was told I would get speeds of between 7000-17000 with an average of 12000 when I signed up 2 months ago and that's what im paying for.
Strat
Community Veteran

Re: 4.5mb Down / 0.1mb Up, why so slow upload?

I've played games on my PS3 against people 12,000 miles away...distance is no object as it's via the internet.
A higher upload speed can mean a better chance of hosting a game although I'm not sure of the advantages to that Undecided
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Strat
Community Veteran

Jojo might not be around as she's taking a well earned break.
One of the other members of the Digital Care Team may pick up on it.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If it works faster in the test socket than in the master then the issue is proved to be with the internal wiring I'm afraid, which isn't really something we can raise a fault on. Most likely cause is the bell wire, which isn't actually needed - I don't know if the electrician removed this but if not there's a great tutorial on removing it yourself here: http://www.jarviser.co.uk/jarviser/bellwirenutshell.html
Might well be worth investigating that?
rena
Grafter

Hi Matt, thanks for replying.  I will relay that back to my landlord about the bell wire, as I don't want to touch it myself incase he slaps my wrist! But what I don't understand is that the wires in the sockets were connected by bt openreach when they came to install the line, so shouldn't they have done it right at the time?  Also, would you be kind enough to give me your thoughts on my question in this thread at 17.01pm on 12/3/11 about uncapping my upload speed. thank you
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

It depends really - not everyone's aware that the bell wire can disrupt broadband signals, and the engineer who wired the socket up would most likely have been a phone engineer rather than broadband so not necessarily aware himself.
With regard to the upstream, we can certainly uncap that if you wish though I'd definitely recommend getting this issue sorted before making any changes to the line.