cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What does this mean please?

Swiss

What does this mean please?

Hi,
I am currently using the D-Link router that was supplied by my previous ISP, TalkTalk. It's rubbish though and I'd like to be using the old router (D-Link 2640B) I had when I was previously a Plusnet customer.
However, when I hooked it up and connected with an ethernet cable it didn't work. When I went to the router config page, I simply got this:

Can anybody please suggest what this is all about? I couldn't see anything relevant on the 2640B support page (though I am rubbish at finding things).
Thanks
Tom
4 REPLIES 4
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: What does this mean please?

I suggest you try a factory reset; use a paper clip to press the recessed reset button on the back (I'm assuming there is one of those), then hold for 10 seconds or so; on many routers the power light will transiently turn red to show reset has been activated.
The router should restart and sync with the exchange. After this try configuring it again (enter broadband username and password, etc).
At the moment it looks like a firmware upgrade has been initiated, I would expect reset to cancel that.
David
David
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

I'd go along with the factory reset.
Strange though, the page you've got shown doesn't look quite like the update page for the DSL-2640B according to the manual I've got.
Here's the factory reset procedure from the manual
To reset the router, locate the reset button (hole) on the rear panel of the unit. With the router powered on, use a paperclip to hold the button down
for 5-7 seconds. Release the button and the router will go through its reboot process.
Wait about 30 seconds to access the router. The default IP address is 192.168.1.1. When logging in, type in the default User Name “admin,” and the
default Password “admin” then click on the OK button to access the web-based manager.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Swiss

Will give it a try, thanks. I have already tried the reset button but suspect I wasn't doing it right ^_^
Swiss

Fixed. Not 100% sure how, but it's working now. God, this thing's so much better than the one TT sent me ^_^
Thanks peeps