Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What could i expect

pendragoncs
Dabbler

Re: What could i expect

Quote from: Anotherone
Don't agree. Unless it's a very noisy line or some issue with the modem/router, it should be doing better. Did they do a Copper Line Test?
See if you can borrow another modem/router to try.

Not sure about the test....but as i was thinking of improving my WIFI anyway i've ordered a new router (billion 7800n). Should be here tomorrow.
Jason
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hope it makes a difference for you, please let us know how it goes.
pendragoncs
Dabbler

Thanks Matt.
Probably not have a chance before the weekend to look at this but definitely going to pursue this.
Was given some stats from a neighbour , just down the road and if anything in terms of line length he's further away....his stats...see attached.
His Attenuation is higher than mine his SNR is lower yet look at his sync!!!
Oh and he's a plusnet customer so i'd really love to know whats so different about his line etc that means he's at least getting such a good connection.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

There could be a lot of things to be honest, depends on whether his line is routed the same way as your own (probably not), what his internal wiring is like, what he has plugged in, model of router etc... to be honest it's not something we'd really be able to advise of, we're not actually able to affect sync rates in any way - those depend entirely on the exchange kit, the kit and wiring at the customer premises and the wiring in between the two.
pendragoncs
Dabbler

Thanks Matt,
But Its very frustrating when discussing my speed with Plusnet your told that with my high Attenuation I WONT get higher that I have now (which in fact is lower than I've had in the past). Yet its clearly possible with that attenuation to get a quality usable sync speed. And other here have also indicated i should be getting higher.
In terms of route I would have thought we would be unlikely to be that different as we are an isolated village with limited routes and in terms of kit yes he has a different router but seeing as I've got mine now connected to the test socket with no other extensions etc surely anything he has added will lower his connection not improve it.
Jason
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The thing is, different green boxes are routed differently to exchanges so it could be that. If it's definitely not, then difference in wiring quality somewhere along the line - possibly the drop wire from the pole to the premises? There are an awful lot of variables that could be the cause of the difference.
I've just done a status check on your line and it's showing a downstream sync speed of 2486 with a loop loss of 50.5dB and an SNR margin of 9.1dB. As such I'm afraid the agent who advised you wouldn't get any faster speed is correct - while we could attempt to drop the SNR to 6dB (which would gain you around 800kb of sync speed) I suspect this would make the line unstable.
pendragoncs
Dabbler

Quote from: Matt
The thing is, different green boxes are routed differently to exchanges so it could be that. If it's definitely not, then difference in wiring quality somewhere along the line - possibly the drop wire from the pole to the premises?

We have 1 Green box in our village and only one route to the exchange....in fact when some idiots decided to help themselves to a section of the cable the whole village went down.
But if there is an issue with cable quality that is effecting my line is that not an issue that should be addressed by BT?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: Matt
..............I've just done a status check on your line and it's showing a downstream sync speed of 2486 with a loop loss of 50.5dB and an SNR margin of 9.1dB. As such I'm afraid the agent who advised you wouldn't get any faster speed is correct - while we could attempt to drop the SNR to 6dB (which would gain you around 800kb of sync speed) I suspect this would make the line unstable.

That to me seems a misleading thing to say
the agent who advised you wouldn't get any faster speed is correct

Because if all was well the line should be capable of doing the sort of speed the other two examples in this thread have shown, ie 50% better. The routing isn't really relevant. What is relevant is the attenuation and the noise and the EU's installation.
Until another modem/router is tried, with a different filter to the one used when the original stats were posted, it won't be possible to say what effect there may on the current poor performance, but clearly something is amiss.
I also note there has been no mention of the outcome of a Copper Line Test.
pendragoncs, are you using Microfilters that look like this?
I also suggest you keep checking you line for audible crackling or other noises etc.
pendragoncs
Dabbler

Firstly.....Had a response from PN No copper line test has been done. Should i push for this to be done?
Re the filters I've got a couple of one like those you listed (1 new) plus a smaller straight into the socket type of affair.
Thanks for you help.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Bin that "straight into the socket type" - it's one that looks like a doubler (well you could keep it as an absolute desperate emergency use only for when all the other have blown up) - very poor performance - will lower your potential BB sync speed.
When you get your new modem/router on-line, if there's no improvement, yes, a copper test should be done.
pendragoncs
Dabbler

Well the new Billion 7800N has been installed......the result  Cry
DSP Firmware Version A2pB025f.d22k
DMT Status                         No Defect
Operational Mode ADSL2
Upstream                     847
Downstream                    2799
SNR Margin(Upstream) 5.8
SNR Margin(Downstream) 9.0
Line Attenuation(Upstream)    26.5
Line Attenuation(Downstream)    50.5
I've also had DMT running overnight, resukts attached.
So what to try next?
pendragoncs
Dabbler

Couple of days up....one drop i can't account for. But now difference in speed.
pendragoncs
Dabbler

Copper line test done...
Circuit ID: CBUK87595136 Service ID: BBEU07781201
Telephone NO.: N.A. Test Executed On:
Test Outcome: Line Test OK.Line loss within appropriate limits. DTR: DS10

Circuit line length calculated: 2660 metres

Have been able to improve think a little bit myself with the billion by forcing my SNR lower......waiting for PN to catch uop and see if the speed imporoves.