Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What am I doing wrong?

Brian
Grafter

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Just a little thought, Jessica.
I couldn't understand why you always got 7616 from Pipex (not that I know anything about such things!)
My throughput speeds have always been well under that sort of figure. However, today I made a discovery! Instead of using a 'Speedtester', I invoked my ADSL equipment's own data, and , lo and behold, my line status (ADSL Speed. download speed) was...guess what?  7616 !
So, ....I reckon that this figure of 7616 is the official 'maximum' for the line, BUT the reality of actual tested throughput speeds will differ from that figure (invariably less, for all the reasons given elsewhere by the technical bods).
So, when you were with Pipex, perhaps you were always looking at the 'official' line rate, but not actually testing the throughput speeds you yourself were getting! Maybe?
Another factor in 'achieved' speeds is: how busy the line is. The system (BT Max?) has a maximum capacity as to how much it can handle. If there are many users, i.e. during busy periods, the broadband facility is 'contended' (their words, not mine!), and users logging on will be allocated, or will experience, slower speeds due to the demands on the system.
As a side point, normally my broadband is 'permanently' logged on, even though my PC may be turned off.
(I used to switch off my ADSL router after every session, or at the end of every day, but I don't do that now. The idea is that it is a permanent connection. It is not costing anything to leave it on, well, apart from the miniscule 'usage' by the system which is continually monitoring itself. And, as my PC is swithed off, there are no security issues. Even so, even when my PC is switched on, the ADSL router has its own security system to prevent hacking, apparently!)

If I ever find that the speed is a bit sluggish when I start a surfing session, then, I was advised, one could switch off the ADSL router, and then switch it on again. When it re-connects, then there is a possibility that the sytem will allocate me a different 'pathway' with, perhaps, a faster speed! Yes, I've tried it. And, apart from the time it takes to re-boot itself, I have experienced a zappier line!
All the best.
paulby
Grafter

So, ....I reckon that this figure of 7616 is the official 'maximum' for the line, BUT the reality of actual tested 'sync' speeds will differ from that figure (invariably less, for all the reasons given elsewhere by the technical bods).

7616 is the maximum rate that you can synchronise to the exchange at with interleaving (an error correction method) turned on.  With it turned off it's possible to get 8128.
These figures are only possible on a good line with a good signal to noise ratio and low attenuation.  Poorer lines will see lower figures (as reported by your router).
Speedtesters measure throughput, i.e. how quickly data is transferred.  Throughput will always be less than the speed you sync to the exchange at due to contention, network congestion, slow servers etc.
For a better explanation, have a look here.
Brian
Grafter

Paul_B
Thanks for your correction of my terminology. I have re-edited my post above, replacing the erroneous word 'sync' with the more appropriate word 'throughput'.
Thanks again and apologies.
Regards
Brian
paulby
Grafter

@Brian
No need to apologise!!
I was just trying to point out the difference between sync and throughput  Smiley
James
Grafter

I don't think that 7616Kbps is the theoretical maximum of sync with an interleaved line.
I'm certain that I've seen higher.
paulby
Grafter

@Jameseh
Possibly not the theoretical max, but what BT say is the max available.
From Kitz's interleaving page:

"Note: although BT state 7616 is maximum sync speed with Interleaving, several instances of higher sync speeds have been reported by users."
Jessica
Grafter

Way too technical for me…
All I know is that I am now at 7616 all the time because I don’t switch the gateway off.  I’ve plugged it into a different socket so that it can be left on all the time.
Thanks to you all,
Jessica