cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What am I doing wrong?

James
Grafter

Re: What am I doing wrong?

In Jessica's case, it can take up to 10 days for the initial IP Profile to be set.
It's also a good idea to reboot the router once a day to force the profile change.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

for the simple minded whats the difference between reboot and switch off?
James
Grafter

It's the same thing.  Most routers will allow you to disconnect and reconnect, but I normally just yank the power cable out and plug it back in again.
monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

MickKi - if i could rate you i would  Smiley
what a fantastic community i have moved to. thanks everyone.
maranello
Pro
Fixes: 2

There appears to be some conflicting advice coming from Jameseh and MickKi in this and related threads.

Quote from: MickKi
After three days of continuous, stable connection the BT exchange would have collected enough speed statistics (and other data) for your line.  It will use these statistics to calculate what your IP Profile should be and set it at that. 
Quote from: Jameseh

It's also a good idea to reboot the router once a day to force the profile change.

Surely power cycling/rebooting the router daily to update the profile will reset the 3-5 day 'clock' used by the exchange to monitor stable connections
My other car isn't a Ferrari
James
Grafter

No, not at all.
The ten day stablisation period is often sped up by a daily reboot.
The 3 day retrain situation will only occur when you have a significantly higher or lower resynchronisation event.
The 3 day and 10 day events are completely different.
maranello
Pro

Thanks for the clarification.
Maybe slightly off-thread, but should I have kept my router on with daily reboots during the training period, as opposed to leaving it off but powering up once or twice a day (which is what I did)? Would this have any effect on my speed profile?
My other car isn't a Ferrari
James
Grafter

Probably not Smiley
Jessica
Grafter

I just checked.  My IP profile has dropped from 8000kbps to just 6300kbps.  I’m still within the ten days training period.  Is the drop in IP profile normal?
HPsauce
Pro

Hi, I assume you mean the PlusNet profile, which I think is derived from the BT one.
What does the BT Speed tester show as the BT IP Profile?
(Just checked and mine has dropped too, from 8000 to 7000, can't think why)

Moderators note by roger (rogerloxton) full quote of preceeding text removed as it's not necessary - please see the link:rules!
Jessica
Grafter

Hi HPsauce,
I can't use the BT Speedtester at the moment.  It's BUSY...  I'll try again later.
Thanks
HPsauce
Pro

Busy for me too - I just tried myself a few minutes ago. Sad
monkeyexpressPF
Grafter

a bit confused too  Embarrassed
i did manage to to do the BT tester last night at http://speedtester.bt.com/ but it didnt give the IP profile in the results, just a throughput report. also, it didnt ask for my plusnet username like is has done previously, just the telephone number. the checker is busy again today.
after the 3 day thing does the test stop giving IP profiles?
i only ask as my router has been on 5+ days and stayed synced at 7616. i know my BT profile was 7150 when i checked at the weekend, and i have been synced/connected continuously since. my Plusnet profile was 7000 at the same time. now my Plusnet IP profile is 6500.
its not really a problem but wondered:
1. how do i now check my BT IP profile if the tester no longer shows that as part of the test? or should it?
2. why would my Plusnet profile drop from 7000 to 6500 if i have got a constant, reliable connection at a higher rate?
thank you.
HPsauce
Pro

Stable sync of 7616 would give a BT IP profile of 6500.
See here: https://portal.plus.net/support/broadband/products/faqs_and_guides/dslmax_guide.shtml#Sync
It started high and dropped, presumably as it wasn't stable at that high speed - that's what the 3/10-day period is for.  Smiley
The BT Speed Tester should show you the IP profile, though in my experience it's a bit random on whether it decides to work or not, or gives irrelevant error messages - just keep trying.
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
Stable sync of 7616 would give a BT IP profile of 6500.

A stable sync speed between 7392-7967kbps will give you a BT IP profile of 6500, but only after 3 continuous and uninterrupted days.  Now, if your previous sync speed was also between 7392-7967kbps then the 3 days are not going to affect your BT IP Profile as it should already be at 6500.
If you read my previous post you will see what sort of factors will affect adversely your sync speed and with it your resulting IP Profile (bad weather, electromagnetic interference, etc.)  Wait until day time, sunny weather and the neighboor's electric shower is off and then re-sync.  You should probably find that your new sync speed is higher.  If you want to keep it that way do not resync until you have to:
Your modem will try to keep the connection going at a given sync speed unless the noise on the line is so high, that it cannot differentiate between it and the ADSL signal.  When that happens the modem drops the signal and it automatically resyncs with the exchange at a lower sync speed.  This is because the BT exchange equipment must make sure that the connection is stable, rather than just fast.  Unfortunately, when this resync event happens the conditions that caused the resync in the first place are invariably still present (noise on the line) and therefore your new sync speed is probably no better than what your modem got.  Hence my advice to not switch off your modem unless you need to - you cannot guarantee what sync speed you are going to get when you desire to switch it back on.
All of the above is unlikely to apply if the length of your telephone cable to the local BT exchange is short and the cable is new.  You will invariably get a high and stable sync speed.  However, when you live 3 miles from the BT exchange like I do and the telephone cables were installed in the 60's then you get what you can and you hold onto it for as long as you can.  Smiley
During the 10 day period the BT exchange will try to achieve as high a sync speed on your line as possible (to the point of failure).  So your final speed may settle to something lower than the maximum speeds you saw over the 10 days' stabilisation period.  They are simply not sustainable when the exchange is loaded and electromagnetic noise degrades the ADSL signal.  A resync during fair weather as suggested above should give you what you should expect as your sync speed to the exchange and a corresponding IP Profile from that.
Hope this helps.
--
Regards,
Mick