Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What am I doing wrong?

Jessica
Grafter

What am I doing wrong?

Something’s wrong?
I’m not very clever when it comes to computers, so a little help or advice would be appreciated.
I know its early days and I’ve only been ‘live’ with Plusnet for three days, but I was just wondering if there was any other setting or tick-box that I have to alter to get a faster connecting.  I’ve checked my gateway setting and made sure that I’ve set it up according to the detailed info I was sent by Plusnet.  I don’t think I’ve missed anything.
As I’ve said, I’ve been with Plusnet for three days and all my speed tests show a max. of 1939kbps.  Will this increase or am I stuck at 2Mb?  Is there another ‘training’ period?  I thought that a training period was only when you first get broadband and not change providers.
Could someone please let me know.
Thanks.
81 REPLIES 81
notheruser
Grafter

Re: What am I doing wrong?

Jessica - didn't you have problems with your previous supplier Pipex? Maybe 2Mb is as much as you're going to get! Can you post router stats here? Have you tried connecting into the BT master socket to see if it improves things? Do you know roughly how far you are from your local exchange?
Jessica
Grafter

No, I don’t think it was that.  Just before changeover, I was getting 700 – 750Kbps with Pipex.  According to all the speed tests I did, I could get a max. of 6.5Mb on my line.  I was with Pipex for two years and most of that time (up until Christmas 2007) I was getting decent speeds.
Must be a setting I missed.
Thanks.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Probably not. Have you run the BT Speedtester and checked your IP profile, which restricts throughput?
If you came from a 2Mb line it's probably set at 2Mb until the stabilisation period is over (3 to 10 days).
Jessica
Grafter

How do I do that?  Can you tell me how to do the BT speedtest and check my profile?
Jessica
Grafter

Just found it.
My IP profile is 8000 kbps.
I'm having trouble running the speedtest.  I'll have another go now.
Jessica
Grafter

No, I can’t run the BT speedtester.  I have to install a program to get it to run, but during installation I get an error message (see attached pic)
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Jessica,
maybe this will be of some use to you
http://www.java.com/en/download/help/download_error_codes.xml
it sounds like you will have to download the fullfile version of Java to install it without failing.
As for your speed issue, it appears that you're still in the training period.
Whilst you synchronise with the exchange at a far higher rate, there might be a issue somewhere else.
Have you looked to see what your Broadband speed rate is set at with PlusNet - If you click this link It will take you to the page.
If it's a case of a stuck profile (Which sometimes happens, well actually it happens a lot!), then you'll need to raise a ticket with the CSC
The only other thing I can think of is that there is a hardware configuration problem, which might need a quick tweak. - Give me a shout if you're stuck.
Roger.
Jessica
Grafter

Thanks Roger,
My IP Profile with Plusnet is 8000kbps.
As per my initial post, I did ask if it was a setting or tick-box I’ve missed somewhere.  I’ve checked and double-checked all the setting as provided by Plusnet.  I can’t see anything wrong.
If I’m still in the ‘training period’, I’ll wait.
Cheers.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Jessica
My IP profile is 8000 kbps.

I meant the IP Profile that BT use, which is NEVER higher than 7150.
The BT Speedtester shows this figure if you can get it to run.
Otherwise waiting a few days is wise.
Jessica
Grafter

Thanks HPsauce,
The IP profile of 8000kbps is the Plusnet one.  All I did was following the link provided by Roger above.  For some reason, I still can’t get the BT Speedtester to work.  I’ll have another go tomorrow.
Many thanks.
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Jessica,
Did you download and install the fullfile java software?
And yes, the BT speedtester is inherantly broken at the moment...
Jessica
Grafter

Hi Roger,
You’re up late aren’t you?
Yes, I downloaded the full ‘offline’ installable version as you directed.  I still can’t get it to work.  Must be me…but, if it is broken, I’ll try again when its fixed.
Thanks
ChemicalBrother
Grafter

Are you insinuating I'm old or something with that statement?? "You're up late aren't you?" lol  Wink

Can't understand why Java won't install properly unless your windows installation is a tad on the dicky side...
Jessica
Grafter

Sorry Roger, I would never insult a forum moderator.  You might kick me out…
Java installed OK.  It’s the BT Speedtester site that duff.  I get a message about the wrong username or something.