Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird issue with master socket

CapNcaveman
Grafter

Weird issue with master socket

Well here goes...
So I've been having troubles with my broadband speeds and had to do a test on my master socket back at the begging of this month. So my router connects ok when the faceplate is connected to the master socket via a splitter..But then I had to take off the faceplate and connect the splitter and router only to the master socket behind that faceplate..(as you all have known), but this is the problem. I do not get a connection to the internet doing it that way! I can sit here for 5mins + and still no connection!  So i then connect the faceplate back to that socket, add the splitter to the front, connect the router and i get a connection again within 2 mins! I have tried 2 splitters on the master and both do the same thing.
So my question is: Has anyone ever experienced this before and what did they do to resolve this? Thanks ben
P.S: I'm holding off getting a new router until an answer comes along as I have a fault query with the helpdesk open, but can't do the broadband troubleshooting because of the issue stated above
[Moderator's note by Jim (Oldjim)  There really is no reason to post in red and bold - it is, in my opinion, even worse than All Caps for shouting - so formatting removed ]
30 REPLIES 30
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Weird issue with master socket

There are several possibilities here !.
Forget your broadband for the moment and unplug your router, splitter, and any filters.
For each of the following stages, plug in a telephone handset into the socket specified and listen for ANY noise on the line, and also check if you get a dial tone -
1) Phone plugged into MASTER SOCKET in the front faceplate, with the faceplate screwed onto the wall box.
2) Phone plugged into TEST SOCKET behind the faceplate - i.e. the socket in the wall box when the faceplate is removed.
3) Phone plugged into MASTER SOCKET in the front faceplate BUT this time while the faceplate is detached from the wall box, but may still be connected to internal extension wiring.
CapNcaveman
Grafter

Cheers purleigh, I will check this in the morning, sorry for delay in reply i got side tracked in reading stuff on the net Smiley
CapNcaveman
Grafter

Ok, so Ive done what has been requested
1: Phone plugged into MASTER SOCKET in the front faceplate, with the faceplate screwed onto the wall box  with NO noise and a dial tone
2:  Phone plugged into TEST SOCKET behind the faceplate - i.e. the socket in the wall box when the faceplate is removed with NO noise and a dial tone
3: Phone plugged into MASTER SOCKET in the front faceplate BUT this time while the faceplate is detached from the wall box, but may still be connected to internal extension wiring with NO noise an No dial tone
All actions done thanks,
Sorry all i am a dummy
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Hi Caveman,
I'd suggest, with the faceplate off you look carefully in the test socket for any dist, dirt or debris, also are the gold contact 'fingers' clean and shiny and even looking?
[Edit] removed remarks about corrected typo
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
CapNcaveman
Grafter

Hi Walker 23,
  Yes stupid me this was a typo not a repeat of the same test. I have just checked what you asked and all the connections are clean, shiny, level and all of it is dust free.
And  I have tried the phone in the test socket but stupidly put the wrong comment before, sorry bout that
Anonymous
Not applicable

When the faceplate is unscrewed, are there any wires attached to the back of it ?
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Can you edit your earlier post so we are quite clear what you did
CapNcaveman
Grafter

Hi Purleigh,
Yes I have wires attached to the back of the faceplate (i think it was 6), None of the wires have been tampered with in the 10 yrs i have lived here.
I discussed this with one of the helpdesk people some time ago and they re-synk'd my connection which helped for a few days then speeds dropped out again. If this info helps you guys
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is the faceplate the original BT plate that would have been part of the wall box ?, or is it a replacement part, such as a BT iPlate, or equivalent ?
Does the faceplate contain any electronic components ?, or is it just a plastic plate with a front socket, a rear plug, and some terminal connectors ?
CapNcaveman
Grafter

I taken a photo of it on my pants webcam. If the photo works i don't know?
But to answer your question Yes its a BT one connected to the wall box, The faceplate has the front socket only, with rear plug and few terminal connections as you asked. At the front top of the box/plate has a T in a circle (well half a T and 2 tiny circles to make it look like a T) Sorry if that sound stupid and hope this hasnt confused matters somewhat
I do have a Digital SLR which i can take photos with but the forum refuses large files i think?
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you happen to have a cable that has an RJ11 plug on one end (to fit your router's phone socket), and the other end with a standard BT phone plug ?
If not, there might be an RJ11 plug end on the lead that goes into your phone handset, which might unclip for use in a short test.
Assuming that you have the above cable, directly connect your router to the TEST SOCKET behind the faceplate WITHOUT using your splitter/filter.  Does that give you a broadband connection ?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI CapNcaveman,
I've read this thread twice now and I think I'm being blonde. Are you getting a dial tone in the test socket or not?
Jojo Smiley
CapNcaveman
Grafter

Quote from: purleigh
Do you happen to have a cable that has an RJ11 plug on one end (to fit your router's phone socket), and the other end with a standard BT phone plug ?
If not, there might be an RJ11 plug end on the lead that goes into your phone handset, which might unclip for use in a short test.
Assuming that you have the above cable, directly connect your router to the TEST SOCKET behind the faceplate WITHOUT using your splitter/filter.  Does that give you a broadband connection ?

Thanks Purleigh, I have tried what you have asked and if this message gets to this forum then I do have connection without the splitter connected to the test socket Smiley
Jojo..Yes I do get a dial tone in the test socket with just the phone attached thanks
Anonymous
Not applicable

Sounds like there is possibly an issue with the plugs on your splitter/filters.
While you have a working connection in your TEST SOCKET, you might as well do the BT line test, or whatever else you were originally trying to achieve.
When you have completed your tests, can you next try plugging your filter/splitter into the TEST SOCKET.
Then -
1) Just plug the router into the small ADSL RJ11 on the filter/splitter - and see if you get a broadband connection.
2) Now plug the telephone into the remaining phone socket on the filter/splitter - and again see if you get a broadband connection.