Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weird Issue with Netgear router and broadband

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Re: Weird Issue with Netgear router and broadband

Done that Oldjim  Smiley
Plusnet CS is actually pretty amazing sometimes, but i dont get how the connection stays Plusnet side but drops here. Im sure it has something to do with the whole router sync disagreement thing that I posted in the first bit of the thread.

Well my broadband is unusable and im sure its nothing to do with my own wiring and equipment. Therefore it has to be a fault somewhere else (PCP or Exchange).
Just hoping they get it sorted asap. I really cant go on MW3 without it disconnecting! Ah sad times.  Angry

But atleast i can get on with revising until plusnet get in touch to get more info about the fault. 

Thanks for the help and enjoy New Years day (:
WWWombat
Grafter

Looking at that diagram, I'm not sure the i-Plate is doing anything for you. It disconnects the bell wire in the faceplate, but your extension is (wrongly) wired into the back of the NTE-5, so bypasses the i-Plate entirely.
I know you say that the bell wire is removed in the kitchen extension, but it only really helps if it is disconnected at the NTE. Otherwise it is still acting as an aerial for noise.
So... In terms of getting a clean line, the kitchen wiring needs redoing, onto the faceplate. However, the back of the NTE-5 is BT's domain, and you shouldn't be fiddling in there.
Your disconnections do seem to indicate a line fault - especially if calling or ringing causes sync to drop. You do need to get the Plusnet faults team going on this, as Oldjim says. You might have to explain about the kitchen wiring, as part of the troubleshooting process is to disconnect all other lines (which would be by removal of the faceplate if it were wired correctly). If they don't believe your issue, you might need to keep your own. Try RouterStats and graph the sync speed, SNR, and CRC errors.
In the end, I suspect you will need an engineer visit, even if he only sorts out the kitchen wiring. It isn't clear whether you'd get charged for that, as it depends on who did the bad wiring in the first place.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Ah, disconnecting the faceplate kills the kitchen extension completley! It was fitted by BT ages and ages ago (Think 1980s) - The entry point of the extension is through the top left hand side (Image link below) + Ive included a picture of the actual inside of the NTE and the faceplate - if it helps anyone. Sorry if I sounded confusing before..

The bellwire is connected to the NTE - Do I just pull it out? I didnt want to, thats why I bought the iPlate!
http://s980.photobucket.com/albums/ae289/Amanha_2010/?action=view&current=20120101_122435.jpg - White wire = extension. Black wire = BT line from the pole.
http://s980.photobucket.com/albums/ae289/Amanha_2010/?action=view&current=20120101_122331.jpg - The inside and faceplate of the NTE5.
WWWombat
Grafter

OK - the kitchen *is* wired to the faceplate, and so the i-Plate will be disconnecting the ring wire. If you do want to disconnect it fully, then just pull it out of the connector on the faceplate - it will be connector #4 with the orange/white wire.  The connectors on 2 and 5 (the blue/white pairs) should be left alone.
So... keeping the kitchen out of the equation, it's back to checking whether you still get the disconnections...
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Disconnections still occour from all sockets (Test, Faceplace & Kitchen one tried too).
Theres no set times, Ive had 7 disconnects since 4:30pm, and todays a good day. Can range from 10-25 disconnects!
Something interesting: the sync pattern is going up, down, up, down. (Picture attached)
Coincidence or something notable? The resync speeds match near enough exactly for up up, down down  Huh  Huh

I suppose its going to need looking at. Its becoming more and more annoying as time goes along.
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is interesting that that graph changes on a 30 minute cycle !  -  Is there something in the kitchen (or elsewhere in the house) that operates every half hour ? - such as a central heating boiler - that could be causing interference ?
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

I should of picked up on that! Sharp eyes Purleigh!
Im pretty sure there isnt. Central heating and hot water is managed by a black box with some buttons on it. I kept it off all day today (and froze everyone to near death!).
Looking around the living room (and the whole house!) , im sure theres nothing on an exact 30min schedule! - And the router DSL and Internet lights aint been off since 6pm! I wasnt with the router, but im certain sure it hasnt been off. I was playing MW3 in my room and never got disconnected once! (Posting this really fast in the kill confirmed intermission  Grin )

But the graph is attached that says ive not had any drops since 7:51ish.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Have you (or your neighbours) got Christmas lights on a sequencer that changes pattern every 30 minutes, or anything else that got switched off around 20:00 ish ?
Street lighting ?
What else is there (other than houses) between you and the telephone exchange, that might be causing interference ?
It might be worth slowing down the sample rate of your monitoring program and try to capture a longer period in the graph, to see if there is a pattern to when that 30 minute cycle starts and stops.
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Nope, around 95% of the street don't have lights. I don't either. Immediate neighbors don't have lights either, so I doubt its something to do with lights. Streetlamps came on well before 8, but there is one pretty close to my house (7 metres away from the telegraph pole line)
I'm pretty sure that nothing was switched off at 8pm - whole family were in the living room watching tv!
I don't think there's anything significant between me and the exchange (LNUPK) except the massive high street.  Can't see nothing apart from that causing interference.

Yes I thought of that too, but I didn't know how to do that! And since my laptop is running routerstats, I can't leave it on all night as it really overheats!
The timing doesn't explain why the issue replicates when using the phone though.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I just looked up the location of your telephone exchange and it looks close to the railway line, does your phone line go anywhere near the railway line ?.  Can you lookup an accurate train timetable and see whether the drops you see are coincident with trains passing, as for example they might have been on half hour intervals until 20:00 on New Years day service ?
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

As far as I know, the only trains that go past are National Express, C2C, and London Overground; Im sure that they were operating a rubbish service yesterday, where there were trains every 45 mins to an hour or more, not every half an hour bang on. 
The tube (London Underground) goes past there (Upton Park Station); but im sure this wasnt operating with that much precision, and definitley goes on 24hrs a day!
Im just waiting for Plusnet to get back to me about what they can do - ID #50406436
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Got a reply from Plusnet:
Sorry for any inconvenience caused. Since reporting the fault to ourselves an dleaving your router powered up the connection is looking more stable. Due to the nature of the fault we are going to keep hold of this for the next few days to monitor the connection to make sure that it is fully resolved. We will be back in touch over the next 48 - 72 hours.
Please do not hesitate to get back in touch online at http://contactus.plus.net or by phone on 0800 432 0200 or 0345 140 0200 if we can be of further assistance.

Fault reported 1st Jan 9:21am.
Between then and the reply time (1pm, 2nd Jan), theres been at least ten disconnects! Thats not exactly stable...is it? The graphs posted by me above kind of show the regularity of disconnects!
Decided to show Plusnet the scope of the problem via Youtube:
(Both lights go out when reciving calls or just picking up the phone!) - and then theres the fact that router disconnects randomly!
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

After doing a load of tests, Ive worked out some really, reaalyy weird pattern:
I tested the master socket & test socket with three phones. One BT corded, One Panasonic (Black Panasonic below) and One Silver Panasonic (Silver Panasonic below) - NOTE: The two panasonic phones are cordless and exactly the same model. Only difference is the colour.

After working at 9pm yesterday and 7am today, my results are shown below (IF THEY MEAN ANYTHING!)

BT Corded:
Doesnt disconnect when picking up the phone or recieving calls
Disconnects when pulling out the BT Cable from the back of the phone.

Black Panasonic:
Disconnects when picking up the phone or recieving calls
Disconnects when pulling out the BT cable from the back of the base station.
Silver Panasonic:
Does exactly the same as the black Panasonic, but disconnections have a five second delay.
I tested all three a couple of months ago and they werent doing this!
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

@Amanha,
Sorry to hear about the problems you've had with this, I've just updated your ticket to place it on hold for 72 hours. Feel free to give me a nudge after that to check your connection logs.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
FoolishlyWise
Grafter

Evening Adam,
Ive replied to the ticket 50406436 - The broadband is now ONLY disconnecting at 17mins past the hour...I think this is a fault, and pulling cables out of the actual phone (not touching the microfilter or plug on the microfilter/mastersocket) shouldnt kill the broadband, should it?
Ticket has been sent back to faults now.. Sorry for being such a pain but the broadband is being serious annoying!