cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Websites: Fair usage policy not so fair

Adam1V
Grafter

Websites: Fair usage policy not so fair

I have a couple of accounts (one business one residental) with force9, both accounts has domains registered.
My residental account uses broadband pro for gaming. I have 4 domains hosted with this account of which, two of the domains are quite popular.
I struggle to see that I must share my fair usage accross all domains when ive paid force9 more money to host the domains, compared to someone who only has one domain hosted. If im paying more surely my usage should be 4 times?
Ive had the domains taken down about 5 times in the last 2 weeks because the two websites in question are just very popular.
(one is a community club dive website, the other is a clothing company).
Im really keen to get my usage increased.
Adam
20 REPLIES 20
gswindale
Grafter

Re: Websites: Fair usage policy not so fair

I think from memory, that you're only paying to register the domain name with PN/F9.
Why you've got a clothing company website hosted under a residential package is a bit of a mystery - is that not against the T&C?
I would recommend finding an alternative web-hosting provider who will be able to provide a service more in line with your requirements as PN/F9 are primarily an ISP and not a web-hosting company.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

First, bandwidth costs PlusNet money and they have done a lot of number crunching with both residential and business to ensure they still make a profit and make the product as flexible as possible.
You say you paid paid for hosting the domains. Are you sure as the BBYW pro package allows 5 domains to be hosted for free and the main business packages also allow 5 domains to be hosted free. If you are still paying PN for the registration fees for those domains then you should move the registration away from PN where is it much cheaper and just host them on your account.
The business accounts have a much higher website traffic allowance (500MB webspace and 500MB traffic per day) so could you not use your business webspace / account to host the more popular domains and put the lest popular on your BB Pro account (which has 250MB webspace and 250MB traffic per day).
It is unlikely PN will change the hosting / webspace allowances any time soon as the cost of bandwidth to them has not changed and they are an ISP, not a hosting company.
Mand
Grafter

Hi,
As Peter says if the higher bandwidth on the business package would suit you could move the popular domains to your business account.
If that won't be enough either you could look at using one of our sister company's, Pay As You Host.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Why don't you integrate in to PlusNet Pay As You Host.  Wink
mcgurka
Grafter

And while you're at the integration, integrate MAAF's static ip blocking system in too, I could use a bigger subnet.... Smiley
Adam1V
Grafter

Peter, I can understand your points and the fair usage is there to be fair to everyone and still make force9 a profit, but your telling me that If i create a pay as you go account and move a domain to each payg account, I can increase my bandwidth, which is no different to allowing each domain its own bandwidth.
Even if you said 250mb for one domain, 375mb for two, 500mb for 3 and so on, your still on a winner.
Sorry guys, I cant see this one.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

But you don't pay for hosting the domains so where is the money going to come from to purchase the additional servers, disk arrays and network capacity for the extra webspace they now need to supply. Also remember there are 2 webspaces, one for www and one for ccgi so both would need to be increased to allow you to use your full allowance on either.
PlusNet is not a hosting company. They give you free webspace and traffic allowances as part of the broadband connection, and compared to many others are generous, but there is a limit to what they can offer as the margins for ADSL are very small. Added to that people are using more traffic on their accounts so PN have to invest heavily in additional BT Central capacity before it is needed to cope with demand. We are not talking 1000s but Millions of pounds per year for this.
Are you utilising your business account webspace & traffic allowances fully? That to me appears to be one solution to your problem by utilising what you have better. The other is to find a proper hosting company with the traffic allowances your websites need.
Adam1V
Grafter

I can still fully appreciate that Peter, But the irony is still that I can create some free accounts and have them moved just for the sake of the bandwidth.
As much as id like to have the domains moved, My boss would go spare if my dive website was to bring the company website down because of excessive usage.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I haven't got this straight. You have one residential account and one business account.
Which account is the company website on, and if as it should be it's on the business account, why is the dive website on the same account?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

A free account only gives you 25MB of webpace with no ccgi/MySQL.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

... and only 100 MB traffic.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Ianwild
Grafter

From our perspective we'd love to be able to charge appropriately for extra traffic allowance, just like we do on our BBYW Broadband products. It's not in our interests to stop people from using our services.
Unfortunately, we always have a bigger list of work to do than we have time to do it in, and so far the work to build and improve our hosting platform hasn't had the priority it would need to solve this problem.
I'm working on speccing the right solution, which may be integrating PAYH or something entirely different, but it's in there with lots of other things and it's not really locked down yet. While I can comfortably say "Watch this space for more details" I can't tell you when we might be able to deliver such improvements at this point in time.
Ian
Be3G
Grafter

Quote from: Adam1V
I can still fully appreciate that Peter, But the irony is still that I can create some free accounts and have them moved just for the sake of the bandwidth.

Whilst I don't know for certain, I sincerely doubt that PlusNet's free PAYG accounts allow you to host domains. They are, after all, free.
Tony_W
Grafter

@Adam1V
May I be of assistance here?
As the textual content of a web site is generally a lot smaller than the pictures, why not store the pictures/audio/video etc. somewhere else and just load them into your web page from the other place?
I can 'Personal Message' you with a link to an example if you wish.
In the test example I have uploaded a picture to googlepages using Google Page Creator. The page creator is useless for creating a web site, but they offer storage space that you can upload to. The site is then http://username.googlepages.com, and an image called 'myimage.png' stored there will have the URL  http://username.googlepages.com/myimage.png
You just link the images in your web pages to the images (and other content) on the googlepages site. They add to the traffic at Google and not to you website traffic at PN.
Its easy to do and means that only the text on your pages is added to your traffic.
Tony