cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webpage Load Times

worzel
Grafter

Webpage Load Times

As those of you who have a SamKnows - the company behind the broadband connection monitoring white box mentioned in one of the pinned threads at the top of this forum - are currently upgrading the details they give on their new samKnows.one version of their website.

This has made it very easy to see just  how poor my connection currently is as you can see from the attached screen shot.

Green things are  "Okay" although my download speed is lower than the normal of 1.3 (not to mention 12% of what they say it should be!!!)

Pink: is a problem (and it is webpages are taking a long time to load

Purple: is a fault (To be honest no idea what latency is but still)

So can someone look into these for me, and do whatever needs to be done to make everything green again preferably before my 10th anniversary of being a PN (F9) customer in October?

PS: Free fibre is, I believe the traditional present for a decade of loyalty.

30 REPLIES 30
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Re: Webpage Load Times

Please post your full router stats - see the speed issues thread linked to below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

@worzel wrote:

PS: Free fibre is, I believe the traditional present for a decade of loyalty.

Actually the traditional gift on a 10 year anniversary is tin so be careful what you ask for Cheesy

98bd7a2c4d0be270fb6d51a8bfe62ba6

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

it depends on what isn't green

this is from mine  and they are comparing the speed to the theoretical product maximum which is silly

2017-04-11_095514.jpg

in your case it is latency and load times which tends to indicate a problem unless you have a wired device connected directly to the router not to the Samknows box which will tend to muck up the results

colintivy
Rising Star

@Browni

Well played!!! It made my day, largely waiting for PN to let me do things!!!

Knuppel

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@Oldjim wrote:

... unless you have a wired device connected directly to the router not to the Samknows box...

This. If you have something plugged directly into one of the LAN ports on your router, rather than the LAN ports on the Samknows box, then the testing suite will be unable to identify traffic going to and from any devices connected to the router. Tests are typically run when your connection isn't being used; the only utilisation they can detect though, is traffic sent to and from devices connected directly to the test unit.

If you have a device that's bypassing the unit (i.e. connected directly to the router), and it's transferring a lot of data when one of the tests is run, then it's going to have a detrimental impact on your speeds/latency.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

worzel
Grafter

Hello again,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've attached the full router stats as asked for in post two - only wish I could understand them.

I've also attached the most recent Samknows.one results which indicate that the latency issues is solved, but that the slow website one remains and if anything has got slightly worse!

Nothing is plugged directly into the router other than the samknows whitebox, so that isn't the issue.

Finally, if PN is still thinking about an anniversery present then, I have to admit that, like most men, I got the details wrong. I actually joined the former f9 on 30th October 1997!

Oldjim
Resting Legend

Can you put your number in here and report what it says about WBC on 21CN http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/

Also -, assuming that 21CN isn't available - it appears that you are on MaxDSL with a capped downstream

worzel
Grafter

Sorry OldJim you lost me after "Put your number in here".... where's here?

The rest went straight over my head although I don't like the idea of the "Capped downstream" part.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I'm pretty sure he meant http://dslchecker.bt.com/
Oldjim
Resting Legend

worzel
Grafter

Thanks for the clarification oldjim

I did as you asked and it says:

BT have advised that this exchange is enabled for WBC on 21CN

I've attached a cropped screen shot below in case that's the wrong bit.

Interestingly there were three service outages on the 8th that affected my area code. Nothing overly uncommon in that in my experiance but Could have had done something?

PS: I followed the link suggested by @Browni and there's a screen shot of that two - worzel-exchanestatus2 not that I understand that either.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

@worzel wrote:

Hello again,

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've attached the full router stats as asked for in post two - only wish I could understand them.

Thank you for these, lets see if I can explain some of them (the important ones) in a way which might make sense to you...

1. DSL Type - this indicates the connectivity type - in this case ADSL(1) - even though CN21 services are available on your exchange I suspect that the length of your line might not support ADSL2 operation
  2. Bandwidth - the speed at which your line is operating at
  3. Line attenuation - an indication of how much the signal degrades on your line - can be used to infer the length of your line - 62dB suggests 4.4km which is fairly near the limit of viable ADSL operation
  4. SN Margin - [aka SNRM] Signal strength over the background noise - "normal" is 6dB - higher than this gives more stability but at a slower synch speed than the line might otherwise be capable of - if a line is experiencing difficulty this metric will be raised (slowing the line down) to mitigate the difficulty

Analysis

• The reported attenuation implies a line length of 4.5km and a predicted line speed of 2112kbps at 6dB SNRM
  • The actual SNRM 11.5dB is much higher than 6dB implying the exchange is managing the line for stability (looks like a TARGET SNRM of 12bB)
  • The actual synch speed is 1152kbps - markedly below the prediction and a direct consequence of the high TARGET SNRM

So that's a brief explanation of the figures ... now one needs to identify WHY the line is as it is...

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.

Please confirm line length and predicted speeds...

Please use the following links to check the services available and their estimated speeds. From the first link, please record and report back the distance from the exchange. The second link advises of which fibre services (if any) are available on your line and their anticipated speed.

Then please check through the speed issues thread (link below).

Hopefully something out of the above will indicate where next - voice line fault or broadband fault - or just a line reset.

@CRT can you post a VR plot please?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

royalbi
Dabbler

If Its hub one check your router logs!

Who said you cant remote manage bt hub 5

worzel
Grafter

thanks for the help guys, I'll do all these tomorrow, after work. (Yeah on a Bank Holiday!)