cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Web site visitor statistics

teebee30
Dabbler

Web site visitor statistics

My first posting to any forum, hope am following correct proceedures.
Can anyone help me understand the widely differing results from my two visitor counters?
I run a web site giving information on the area in which I live - so of mainly local interest. Web address is www.risepark.plus.com.
I incorporate a Hit Counter on each of the pages of my site to ensure that there is a count of all visitors and also the number of pages viewed. As per instructions of Sitemeter.com. (Free web counter)
For the month of October, the detailed statistics show that there have been 53 visits and 301 page views so far.
But when I look at the Plusnet Website stats (Webaliser) the same period shows that there have been 277 visits and 532 page views.
This is a very considerable difference - and has been the case since I first published.
My inclination is to believe the visitor number on the inbuilt Sitemeter counter, and I wonder if I would be deluding myself if I accepted the five fold increase shown by Plusnet.
Answers appreciated in simple plain English please, as I am not too technically minded as regards computer programming!!!
11 REPLIES 11
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Web site visitor statistics

Is the sitemeter counter on every page?
I would suspect that it's not, so it's only recording traffic to whichever pages you have the counter on.  Plusnet will show every visit made to every page on your website
My personal preference is to use Google Analytics (www.google.com/analytics) which gives so much more information it's simply untrue Smiley
Same applies though - the urchin code needs to be on every page, not just index.html for example
B.
teebee30
Dabbler

Thanks for early reply.
Yes, the Sitemeter counter does appear on every page.
It also gives me quite detailed statistics/graphs, without being too complicated to use. Stats for varying periods, visitor locations/distances, facility to ignore own visits, time spent viewing etc.
Is also free and shows number of visitors for viewing by visitors. Would be reluctant to try to change it!!
MikeWhitehead
Grafter

It couldn't be anything to do with search engine spiders could it? It's the first thing that came to mind - maybe PlusNets counter doesn't factor in spidering visits aren't real visits, and counts them?
I'm sure Barry or someone else will be able to comment on this being right or wrong.
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

There is a PUGIT Issue open on "Webstats giving inconsistent results" (link) with associated user Comment topic here.  However the main complaint is that site visits are being under rather than over reported.
Internal problem 45591 was raised for investigating this.
David
teebee30
Dabbler

Thanks for the replies, though no answers to the problem!!
Current situation for October now shows 70 visits on my Sitemeter but 339 on Plusnet! A huge percentage difference.
Can only think it is something to do with spiders as suggested . The Sitemeter helpline indicates :-

"For the most part, Site Meter will not track robots (or automated programs) that come to your site. That is because Site Meter needs the “visitor” to your site to run the javascript for Site Meter in your web page or at least load the image that is on your web page (the Site Meter counter). Most Robots do not run the javascript that is in a page or even load the images on a page so Site Meter never sees the robot viewing your pages!.
If this is the case, then clearly the Plusnet stats are totally irrelevant and give a completely misleading picture to me and all others. In my case they have added no fewer than 269 visits in 12 days and show visits five times greater than the true picture.
My inclination is to believe the Sitemeter figures and forget Plusnets "Advanced web stats". Though it would have been nice to "get to the bottom" of the problem
Could be something I've done wrong, I suppose - but do have the counter on every page, so should not be missing out on any visits or page views.
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: teebee30
My inclination is to believe the Sitemeter figures and forget Plusnets "Advanced web stats". Though it would have been nice to "get to the bottom" of the problem
Could be something I've done wrong, I suppose - but do have the counter on every page, so should not be missing out on any visits or page views.

I've just visited two pages on your site - http://www.risepark.plus.com/risepark.htm and http://www.risepark.plus.com/. ; Both tell me the same number of pages have been viewed - 3870.
In case it had been 3869 when I'd looked on the first page (I didn't check back till seeing the second figure) I viewed another page http://www.risepark.plus.com/local_parks.htm .
Still showing 3870 pages.  I'd looked at your source code for the first two pages initially, and the sitemeter code appeared to be the same, which is why I went looking for the page-visit total.
I don't know how advanced the sitemeter counter is, but the pattern of non-change in the overall total when a different page is viewed would seem to indicate that not everything is being separately recorded.
I really can't comment on sitemeter's overall accuracy but my instinct is that you might be able to gauge Webalizer's accuracy a little better were you to use a more sophisticated means of identifying pages viewed on your site.
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
teebee30
Dabbler

Thanks Penny . But the figure of 3870 refers to the number of visits and not page views. This is their total number of visitors since setting it up.
Sitemeter records each visitor, but does not increase the count if a visitor browses the site and keeps returning to the Home page - nor if there is a return visit within (I believe) 30 minutes. This would account for the fact that the counter did not change for you.
Sitemeter does record page views separately for me, so long as the counter is added to every page - which I have done. This accounts for the code being the same on each page. This seems to be working OK as one recent day showed 6 visits with 70 page views.
Am wondering whether anyone else has tried making comparisons and found similar discrepancies (apart from what will be unavoidable minor ones). Or is it just me?Huh
Penny
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

Quote from: teebee30
Sitemeter does record page views separately for me, so long as the counter is added to every page - which I have done. This accounts for the code being the same on each page. This seems to be working OK as one recent day showed 6 visits with 70 page views.
Am wondering whether anyone else has tried making comparisons and found similar discrepancies (apart from what will be unavoidable minor ones). Or is it just me?Huh

May perhaps be constructive to set up a comparison counter - you might wish to try LiveCounter - http://www.chami.com/counter/classic/ - which I think is still free for non-profits.  We use something different for our actual stats (monitoring who is visiting from where) as we had that set up already, but LiveCounter should be able to provide a comparison overview on your page visit figures etc.
We don't use it to its full capabilities (mainly down to my limitations on the technical side) but it's the only non-breaking counter I've ever found, for high traffic volumes.
Regards,
Penny.
Penny Rollo * * * joined Force9 on 17/02/98 * * * with PlusNet from 2000 onwards * * * personal website at pennymidasrollo.plus.com
Project HappyChild website (free educational resources for kids and schools, plus directory of charities helping children) 1998 onwards
Superusers are not PlusNet staff but do have a direct line of communication into the business to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the Community.
teebee30
Dabbler

Thanks Penny
Further enquiry and reply from Sitemeter suggests that their figures are accurate as regards the actual number of visits and page views.
So have now raised a ticket with Plusnet to see whether they are able to explain the 5x difference.  Initial response very unclear and understand they have now passed it forward for further consideration.
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Your ticket has been passed to our networks team for further investigation.
Even if the Webaliser stats included spidering etc, I can't see the difference being that large tbh.
teebee30
Dabbler

Have now had considerable correspondence with Sitemeter and Plusnet (all relevant aspects seemingly investigated), both of whom feel that their own stats are correct.
So I have now decided to close the ticket as a case of "mystery unsolved".
Several users have suggested that I try an alternative counter, but I am reluctant to move from Sitemeter without first having reason to doubt their accuracy - and with the clear possibility that a new one would show similar discrepancies.
So I am now wondering whether anyone out there, using an independent counter on their site, has done a similar cross check between that counters' statistics and those indicated by webaliser.
If so, is there a close match (there will clearly be some differences e.g. Plusnet believe that they include spidering but the others say they do not). Or is there the sort of difference that I am finding?Huh
For the purpose of this enquiry the figures I wish to know are quite simple and basic.
How many people have viewed my web site and how many pages did they look at.
Plusnet (in my case) indicates total visit figures approx 5x greater than Sitemeter. Flattering, but a true reflection?Huh