Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weather related issues

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Weather related issues

No problem. If it would only continue like the last part of the graph!
When you see loads of those downward spikes, try the quiet line test.
If the spikes are nicely (-not) persistent, try ringing BT as I suggested in reply #7.  A line test is something they do remotely, does not have an engineer coming out, so is a no risk exercise!
If that test is satisfactory and the spikes have persisted throughout, the fault may lie with the tie pair at the exchange or the port on the DSLAM may have gone faulty. Frustratingly you can only get it investigated whilst it is persisting.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Just got back from luncheon out - and the connection has gone haywire again -As suggested I'll phone BT !!
Anotherone
Champion

And report it as "Ring Trip" as per your other thread.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro

Reported it to BT as ring trip - who, after line test, said it must be my equipment !! Cry
I have an engineer booked for Tuesday am - The man from Bangaluru insisted I MUST have a test socket/master socket ,even tho' I  explained several times that mine was an "old" system wired in a star pattern!!!
This morning the connection is even worse - the upstream noise margin has now plummetted, I'm now synching at 2784 down , 128 up!!!!!!!
Anotherone
Champion

Make sure it happens with two different phones in turn when they are the only things connected to your line.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro

Just a brief update - BT came today - replaced cable from outside junction box to minimaster - but then had to rewire my entire phone network because the way it was, wouldn't pass the tests he is obliged to carry out!! I now have a proper NTE5 - BUT the snag is that its still not totally wired up as per the "book" - part of the extension wiring is mine but part goes via the external BT box ! Hope I don't have problems in the future with the extensions.
The internet has now connected at full rate 8128 with an SNR of 10db -I now have to wait for the profile to catch up --Its currently 0.35Mb  Cry
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI davidj60,
your current sync is 5760K with 17dB SNR. your last disconnection was 9.58 but before that it was dropping a lot. What time did he leave?
Jojo Smiley
davidj66
Aspiring Pro

Hi Jojo, he left about 10:00 - not sure why the connection dropped around then and resynched @ 5760 , unless it was because of the last of his tests- but @ ~ 12 :15 it reconnected @ 8096 with an SNR of 9db...and seems to be holding steady now - BT profile is still 0.35Mb? - the test won't even run this afternoon Cry
Anotherone
Champion

Leave the modem/router on continuously without any resyncs and that will enable the DLM to recover the profile in the quickest possible time. If you are lucky it may only take a few hours because of the huge increase, but it may take longer.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro

@Anotherone - thats the plan !!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi davidj60,
I presume that drop was you. I could reset the SNR now which may kick the profile into action.
Jojo Smiley
davidj66
Aspiring Pro

Hi Jojo, the line appears to be stable now @ 8096 synch with SNR of ~ 9db. Hasn't dropped since yesterday lunchtime....but the profile is stubbornly stuck @0 .35Mb. !! Cry
Anything you can do will be much appreciated - I'd forgotten what dial up was like!! Wink
Anotherone
Champion

Sounds like an SNR reset is needed  Wink
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi davidj60,
I doubt an SNR reset will help. The line needs to remain stable and at the moment it's not. If you're in the test socket, with no extensions in between and you've tried different filters/router then I'd certainly raise a fault.
Jojo Smiley
davidj66
Aspiring Pro

Jojo, I've been away all day today - so left the router in the master socket as it had been stable from ~ 12:15 yesterday until I left this am at ~ 8:00am - I've now plugged it into the test socket @ ~17:00
HOWEVER I think the problem may not be a fault but a result of the way the BT engineer carried out the repair yesterday.. In order to keep our extensions and install the NTE5 he has used two of the "spare" wires in the incoming cable to the NTE5 as a return to the outside BT junction box and then on to the extensions, which were previously wired direct from outside -effectively we had three master sockets !!
I THINK that the line is dropping when we get a phone call because the phone was connected to one of the extension sockets.Certainly we had no phone calls yesterday afternoon /evening and the router stayed connected.
Any telecoms engineers care to comment?? Undecided