cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Watchguard Firewall

itbookham

Watchguard Firewall

Hello,
I have an Watchguard SOHO v5.0 firewall which I am trying to set up on my home Small Business Server 2011 network. I have a static ip address: 212...... and a domain name bound to this address. I have tried to set up the 'External Network' of the firewall but the external default gateway 195.... is not on the same subnet as my static ip address 212.... .and therefore the firewall will not accept these settings.
I wondered if anyone has any clues on how to resolve this.
Many thanks,
Mark
9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Watchguard Firewall

I assume you're connecting the Firewall via an ADSL modem.
You need to use the PPPoE option for the External Network rather than the 'Static Addressing' which is what I suspect you are trying.
Enter your PlusNet username and password as in username@plusdsl.net and the password you use to login to the member centre.
It will then automatically assign your Static IP and gateway correctly.
Hope that helps

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

itbookham

Hi,
Yes that is correct the adsl router is the public facing device then the firewall then the switch. There were three options to set up the Watchguard - static addressing, dynamic addressing and PPoE.
I will try setting it up with PPoE.
Many thanks,
Mark
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

This http://www.watchguard.com/help/smalloffice/71/Settings/network6.htm might help with the settings. Looks like you need to separate the username, in the name field,  and plusnet.dsl in the domain field. 

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

itbookham

I tried setting it up with PPoE but it didn't seem to work. An external ip address was not allocated.
The other options available are manual configuration and DHCP client.
Both of which do not work either.
I'm really not too sure where I am going wrong but any assistance will be appreciated.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I'd be pretty sure it's got to be PPPoE, double check you've got the correct username and password. Use the same details you use for the PlusNet member centre, but use plusdsl.net in the domain field.
Check the 'Automatically connect pppoe link' box and if all else fails try checking the 'Enable pppoe debug trace' box.
Lets see how that goes...
edit: there's a post here http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r41263-PPPoe-supported-on-Watchguard-SOHO describing how to access the event log for pppoe debugging

itbookham

Hello,
I am much obliged for the suggestions. I did try PPPoE using the login credentials as suggested but it didn't seem to work. I can't even ping the router from the laptop (192.168.1.254) which is connected to the firewall which is connected to the router. I disabled the firewall in the adsl router and that didn't seem to make any difference.
I wonder though whether PPPoE is supported by PlusNet as the broadband connection on the router uses PPPoA.
I have also tried to configure the external network on the firewall using my static ip address 212..... but the default gateway 195.... is not on the same subnet so the firewall will not accept the configuration.
Oh dear looks like I might have to but another firewall.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Ah, It's a bit clearer now, I thought you had just an ADSL modem in front of the firewall but I now realise that you are actually using a modem/router. That's not going to work in it's standard configuration I'm afraid, since the public IP will not be passed to the firewall.
Two possibilities
1) configure the firewall for dynamic IP and then configure the router to put it (firewall) in the DMZ
2) configure the router for bridge mode, which just makes it an ADSL modem, and then use pppoe on the firewall.
Option 2 is probably the best ( but trickiest) route, try searching the forum for 'bridge mode' that should get you the configuration information for the tg582
I'll have a search myself tomorrow but I have to go out now

gary42
Grafter

I've tried both of MisterW's suggestions and both will work OK.
If you want the external IP on the firewall however, option 2 is the way to go.
Instructions in the following post to configure the TG582N in bridge mode so you can use PPPoE on your firewall...
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,105753.0.html
Read down for some tweaks I had to make to MisterW's instructions to get it to work for me.
itbookham

Hello,
Many thanks for your feedback.
Very simple to set up in the adsl/router (to set for bridge mode). I connected the Watchguard firewall between the adsl modem and the laptop and configured the firewall for PPPoE and it worked seamlessly. Many thanks.
Are bridges layer 2 devices rather than layer 3 devices such as a router?