Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Was there a problem overnight?

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Was there a problem overnight?

I lost connection last evening and when I recommenced today could not connect for some time. Router was reporting "no broadband found".
Daughter's connection on same exchange seems to have been OK.
Extended log is missing whole of yesterday's history.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
6 REPLIES 6
Razer
Grafter

Re: Was there a problem overnight?

Took me a while to establish a connection this morning too. Sat facing a red light for a while.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi there,
It looks like this fairly widespread MSO may have affected you: http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/mso.php?id=104
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Yes my exchange is on the list, yet why was my daughter not affected?
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

BT routing is a mysterious beast. You obviously connect to the Plusnet gateways via a different route. I sometimes see step changes in latency without having lost sync that can only be explained by a change in the route from me to Plusnet; so if one line can at different times take different routes, you and your daughter could easily be on different routes. Also I suspect Reading might have multiple nodes.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Blim
Grafter

Any idea how long this work to fix the damaged network will take? Getting a lot of corrupted files, might have to do a re-install of Ubuntu again once this has cleared up. Not a bigy just bad timing. From 75mb down to 7mb at times is a big drop in speed but as long as it stays above the speed of the wireless I should be able to play games online without lag spikes.
zubel
Community Veteran

BT have already cleared the offending MSO, so it's fixed.
Not sure if there would be any knock on effects, to be honest.  the BT wholesale network rebalances itself pretty quickly.
Also, *corrupted* downloads will almost definitely /not/ be caused by this, or any network imbalance at Plusnet's end either.  in literally 99.99% of cases, its down to end-user hardware.  TCP/IP over ADSL has so many layers of error correction it's not even funny.