cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WIFI connection to Heatmiser multilink box

carolsmith7
Dabbler

WIFI connection to Heatmiser multilink box

I hope somebody can help me as I have spent several hours trying to connect my heatmiser multilink box to my router. Heatmiser is a system where I can control my heating system remotely. The system I have purchased has two thermostats and because of this I have to use a multilink box to control both thermostats. I have successfully connected the thermostats to the WIFi but I have been unable to connect the multilink box. I have spent several hours on the phone to both heatmiser and plusnet support. The last conversation I had with Heatmiser they advised that the only reason they could think it might not be connecting was the speed and that I should ask my ISP how to change it from 2.4 GHZ to 50 MBPS. When I phoned Plusnet they advised that there was no facility to change this on my router and there was no need to change it as I should be able to connect with the setting it was on. They could not help any further. Has anybody had any experience of connecting this system?
15 REPLIES 15
picbits
Rising Star

Re: WIFI connection to Heatmiser multilink box

The 2.4Ghz to 50MBPS bit is a little misleading - they may have meant change the wireless frequency from 5Ghz to 2.4Ghz though. The router supplied by PN is not capable of anything other than 2.4Ghz though.
picbits
Rising Star

Looking at the Heatmiser instructions, I would do the following :
Log on to the PN router and double check you have WPA2 enabled and not WEP
Look at the SSID on the PN router and make a note of it, it has to be exact including capitals etc
Double check you know the right password for the wireless on the PN router
The settings in the instructions for the Heatmiser won't work as standard with the PN router as it is on a different IP address so I'd try the following :
SSID = PN SSID
SECURITY = WPA2
WEP FORMAT = ASCII or HEX depending on the password on the PN router
IP ADDRESS = 192.168.1.100
SUBNET: 255.255.255.0
GATEWAY: 192.168.1.254
DNS: 192.168.1.254
Fingers crossed that may help
carolsmith7
Dabbler

Thank you for your replies. I have checked the router and the security is  WPA2 PSK. The SSID is all correct as I have copied and paste from router to heatmiser addresses are as they should be. What is so frustrating is that the thermostats connected first time which indicates there is no problem with SSID etc.
picbits
Rising Star

Do the thermostats connect to the Heastmiser box via wireless or to the PN router ?
I'm not familiar with the Heatmiser system, just going by what the instructions are suggesting Smiley
carolsmith7
Dabbler

To the PN router.
TORPC
Grafter

I am wondering if you may have any of the following in the vicinity of the heatmiser multilink box that may be coming on at the time the SSID disconnects
Washing Machine
Tumble Dryer
Fridge / Freezer
Microwave
or other domestic appliance
as they may have an inpact on the WiFi Signal
Is the heatmiser multilink box in a cupboard or boxed off ?Huh
carolsmith7
Dabbler

No domestic appliances are nearby. The wifi connection to the router is done by connecting the thermostats and multilink box to my laptop via USB.
carolsmith7
Dabbler

I am still trying to resolve this issue. I returned my multilink box to heatmiser as despite everything I still could not connect. They have now advised the following:
The multi-link is a different module to the thermostats this could explain why the thermostat will connect but not the multi-link, the wireless Band needs to be 56Mbps and the wireless Interface Type needs to be B + G not B G + N.
Can anybody advise how to change the band and interface type on my router?
Thank you
picbits
Rising Star

If you drop the wireless N on your router, every wireless device in your property will end up at a slower rate.
Personally I'd purchase a separate wireless access point, plug it into the Plusnet Router on a LAN port then configure the access point with a different SSID / Password and connect the heating devices up to that.
carolsmith7
Dabbler

Thank you for your reply.
Aplogies as I am not that technology minded - are you saying to buy another router to plug into the Plusnet router and then connect by wifi to the new router. If so what router would you suggest to buy?
picbits
Rising Star

Effectively a cheap router set up correctly can act as a repeater / access point (I use £10 Edimax routers here at home as repeaters and access points). Buying a dedicated access point will cost slightly more than a router (ironically !) but will be a little easier to setup if you don't have much experience in networking.
It basically just adds another wireless network to your connection which doesn't interfere or isn't reliant on the existing wireless on your Plusnet router.
In its simplest form, you can pick up a cable router, disable its onboard DHCP and give it a static IP address (2 minute job) connect one of its LAN ports to one of the LAN ports on the Plusnet router then try connecting your heating stuff to the wireless on the new router. If this works then set a password for the wireless and job done.
Your other option if you go this route would maybe to grab a cheapish (<£30) TP-Link router or similar, set it up to work on your Plusnet connection instead of your Plusnet router and see if it is any more compatible with your heating system.
carolsmith7
Dabbler

Thank you I think reading this I have got to the stage where I need to employ somebody with networking experience to set it up for me!!
picbits
Rising Star

If you're anywhere near Northampton / Wellingborough then I'm fairly local.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: carolsmith7
the wireless Band needs to be 56Mbps and the wireless Interface Type needs to be B + G not B G + N.
Can anybody advise how to change the band and interface type on my router?

This shows how to disable wireless n on the Technicolor router, it will then be wireless b + g as you ask.
http://npr.me.uk/telnet.html#wirelessn
If using telnet is a step too far for you, let me know and I'll post a telnet scrip to make the task easier.