cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WI-Fi keep Dropping out

Clarky401

WI-Fi keep Dropping out

Hi, I know there's been so many topics about this but I am so frustrated, I counted over 11 times that my PLUSNET router HUB One has dropped out. I have disabled the 5GHz selection and still no better. If there's a fix out there then could you please in simple steps advise what to do.

Clarky.

6 REPLIES 6
BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Re: WI-Fi keep Dropping out

Hi @Clarky401, thanks for getting in touch and I'm sorry to hear you've had connection issues as of recent. I can confirm looking over your connection first of all that this doesn't look to be a wireless related issue as we are loosing connection to the router several times a day over the last week shown by the graph below.

When running a test on your connection looking for underlying issue we've detected a line fault and our testing is hinting it's coming from within the property. We're picking up a loop fault which is essentially a loop in wiring somewhere which very well could be behind the drops seen. I'd advise then, although the last 48 hours the connection looks to have been much better to monitor your side and if you notice the router drop out further to run through the below troubleshoot steps to help narrow down what's causing the issue.

I'd recommend starting with basic checks here: http://goo.gl/p2tpvL

And if that doesn't help the next thing would be to rule your internal wiring out by plugging the connection into your test socket which is under the faceplate of your master socket and seeing if the drops stop. This rules out internal wiring, face plates and extension sockets as being the cause. How to locate the test socket and set your connection into it can be found here:
https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242

If the problem still persists from here we will go down the route of raising a fault to investigate further. Let us know how it goes.

Clarky401

Many Thanks for getting back to me, just an update on the line, I only have one Socket for the line, I have a CCTV wired connection to the router, might that be the fault? not so sure what you mean by 'We're picking up a loop fault which is essentially a loop in wiring somewhere' could you please clarify on this statement. I will definitely carry the checks you suggest and get back to you once I've finished the testing.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi @Clarky401 

A warm welcome to the forums.

Indeed "a loop in the wiring somewhere" is a very odd statement - I think Ben (@BD) must have been having a bad day!

A "loop" fault refers to the "local loop" which is the copper circuit from the exchange to your home and by extension any internal wiring.  Such internal wiring also includes anything plugged into any phone socket - but not anything plugged into the router.

You state that you only have the master socket - do you have any extension cables plugged into the front of it, direct or via the filter?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Clarky401

Hi There, thanks for the info regarding the 'Loop' that does make sense now. In answer to your question about the Master Socket, No extension cables either direct or via the Filter, I only use the phone line of the internet, so the only cable plugged in is the one supplying the router via the Filter.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

So, no internal wiring from the socket at all, either through the front, nor through the back plate.  That makes the initial test report seem really odd.  Can we please go back to basics?

Broadband is not going to work well if the "phone" line is not working properly.

Please perform a quiet line test - dial 17070 select option 2 using a corded phone plugged into the test socket behind the face plate of the master socket. It should be silent. A noisy phone line (or no dial tone) will have a marked adverse impact on the performance of broadband.

If the line is noisy or there is no dial tone, then a PHONE LINE fault needs to be raised with your phone provider. If this is PlusNet, you can report a fault on line using the button below.  From the Q&A list, choose the one which matches the problem, 'open' the 'section' and click the trouble-shooter link.  NB: If you receive a failure message (rather than a log-in prompt) then log-in to the user portal in a different browser tab and attempt to use the trouble-shooter again.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Clarky401

Hello there, sorry for the late reply. I have now performed a quiet line test as advised, the result being that crackling was intermittent on the line and quiet as expected.

I will now raise a Phone / Line fault again as advised.

Regards, Clarky.