cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voyager 210 behaving oddly.

colintivy
Rising Star

Voyager 210 behaving oddly.

Having had the sort of problem with IMAP Server Error messages that Midnight Caller raised under Webmail in Email elsewhere, I have noticed that a very odd behaviour on my router (from PN Jan 2008) that might have been relevant to that but now I am not sure that there is any connection.
I have been keeping the router on 24/7 for a long time now but recently I have had some drop-outs when I have been on line. Each time the DSL and Internet lights have gone out. Some time they eventually come back, having gone through the way they do when rebooted, other times nothing happens at all and a manual reboot of the router eventually restores things back working. Now a few times in the last few days overnight and yesterday lunchtime I have found the router is only showing the green power on light. The computer has not been powered up during these events. This makes seem to be a router problem or perhaps BT up to something.
So far this behaviour has not affected my download speeds to any noticeable degree, being between  1 and 3 Megs for months. So BT do not seem to have noticed.
Any views on this lot chaps?Huh
Shocked  Shocked
38 REPLIES 38
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Voyager 210 behaving oddly.

Hi,
if you go into the router and set the encapsulation to PPPoE this may cure it. If you can't do this in the router then you may just need to run through the wizard again.
Jojo Smiley
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi yourself,
Thanks for that. I had time to fiddle today and got into the Configuration Manager OK. The settings all coincided with those printed in my initial setting-up page of the PN documentation. The encapsulation was set to PPPoA so I changed it to PPPoE as advised. The router went through its Rebooting and Training phases but I noted that the Internet light remained out. After waiting a decent interval with no connection, I went back into the Config and saw that the encapsulation had reset itself the PPPoA and further more the Internet light came back on and I am using the connection to write this. All the diagnostics showed PASS (except USB which is not used). I might try to reset things again but I am not hopeful. Other work now demands attention!! If you have any other thoughts I will look on Monday to see.
Cheesy
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
Hi,
if you go into the router and set the encapsulation to PPPoE this may cure it. If you can't do this in the router then you may just need to run through the wizard again.
Jojo Smiley

Hi Jojo
I dont understand the differance between PPPoA or PPPoE could you explane them for me please?
Do my settings in my new router need to be changed ?  I am not having any problems but would like to use the correct settings

Kind regards
Puddy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I let mine just get on with it, but have a read here http://www.carricksolutions.com/pppoe/pppoevspppoa.php
and a slightly easier read here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Point-to-Point_Protocol_over_ATM
colintivy
Rising Star

@Puddy,
The Voyager Configuration Manager allows for either of the the two protocols to be selected. If you have no problems feel lucky and leave things alone. The references from PP are a bit over my head but the documentation for the Voyager from PN definitely specifies PPPoA.
@Jo Jo
Had an hour or so yesterday to try to change to the option to PPPoE which did no good at all, the internet light just did not come on. I repeated the change but to no avail. All seems to go through OK but, on using the reboot following the changes, the lights show the power on check, the ADSL check and the Ethernet but still no Internet despite a long wait. It suggests that the reboot ought to take about 1 minute whereas it seems to take very much longer in practice which might be significant. If reboot manually by switching the Router off and then on after a minute or two it seems to do so properly but slowly most of the time. When I then check the PPP status it shows that it has reset itself to PPPoA.
The Router Configuration Manager lists all the necessary categories of settings  which can be edited as required. This is accessed by going to "Quick Set-Up" within 192.168.1.1/, is this what you describe as the wizard?
The drop outs are still happening overnight and mid-day when the computer is powered down and also at times when I am actually online when it is on. This has not happened until very recently and I am mystified. Any further advice?  Would another Router be worth trying?Huh
C.
colintivy
Rising Star

13.13... dropped out again!!!
C.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi colintivy,
I'd definitely recommend trying another router, if you have one available. If you try both in the master socket (or even better the test socket) and the line drops still happen with both then you've pretty much identified a line fault (if so, let us know at http://faults.plus.net). I have to say it's sounding a lot like you may have a line fault to be honest.
colintivy
Rising Star

Hi Matt!
Thanks for that. If I can borrow one I will. Unfortunately all the advice about posh master sockets and test sockets are not helpful, the house is too old to have them and also the telephone cable comes in inside the garage roof space, not the best place for a wireless router/master socket etc., Being wired, at least I can see if it is misbehaving!! Would I qualify for another PN one?
C.
colintivy
Rising Star

14.08 Just dropped out again!
C.
puddy
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
I let mine just get on with it, but have a read here http://www.carricksolutions.com/pppoe/pppoevspppoa.php

Read your links-thank you
i think its safer to leave mine on PPPoA
puddy
colintivy
Rising Star

15.44 Dropped out again while in use!  Several droppings out of hours since last post. Have not got a spare router yet, so no diagnostics. All very upsetting.
Colin
Apprentice
Grafter

There were issues with the Voyager 210 some years ago as some models heated up and disconnected from the exchange quite frequently,
I replaced the one I got from madasafish thanks to assistance from Bob Pullen who arranged for a 585 v7 to be sent out to me, I've subsequently replaced that with a Netgear DG834GT.

e.g. taken from The Scream  >
Voyager 210
colintivy
Rising Star

@Apprentice

What a relevant thread that was!!!! Back in 2007 folk were bombarding BT about 210 drop-outs and as recent as a few months ago they were still at it!! No wonder PN moved to an alternative after I got mine from them! What is the present feeling about the best replacement these days? I am not wireless, which most are these days, but I believe that these all cater for a number of wired connections as well, is this the case? I have noted your choice of replacement, is this likely to be good with my stretch of damp string about a mile long to the exchange?? My Download speeds are about 2-3 Megs (when I am on) these days but some are getting 8 near the exchange.
Colin
Cheesy
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the current Thompson PN offering at £4.99 P&P  has four ethernet ports an you can trun off the WiFi